SiteLock
KLR650 DooHickey wrench loaner tool thread - Page 3 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Maintenance, Modifications & Technical > Suggested reading on KLR maintenance
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Suggested reading on KLR maintenance KLR650 Maintenance related threads you should read!

Old 06-13-2009, 12:56 PM   #41
A.R.G.08
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: North East Gerogia
Postings: 5
A.R.G.08 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DooHickey tool thread

Ok, so i just picked up a 98 klr and just wanted to know how to tell if i need to do the "DOO" or if it has already been done. Any help from anyone would be great. The bike has a little over 17k on it if that helps.
A.R.G.08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 02:32 PM   #42
Ki4SwY

Locale: New Port Richey, FL
Postings: 16
Ki4SwY is on a distinguished road

Well, i picked up my 98, it had 22k miles.... No upgrades were really on the bike, stock frame bolts, i noticed one thing in paticular, the chain cover never even looked like it was removed..

I bought the Kit from EagleMike, got the kit in 2 days, and tore the bike apart last nite, You can tell if the peace has been replaced without changing the cover, however, you can't tell if its broke without taking the flywheel off..

It took me 5 hours to do it, and i did it in my driveway, with the kickstand down.. no "leaning to the right" no "Jack" under the bike..

It was tricky to get the started gears to stay in place to put it together, but if you have someone who can hold the bike for 1 minute, then your good to go..

I will post pictures of my Broken Factory Dohickey later this weekend, i had to fish the broken part out of the bottom of the crank case with a magnet..
Sponsored links
Old 06-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #43
ckraut
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2009
Locale: Atlanta
Postings: 56
ckraut is on a distinguished road
Default Re: In need of doo tools

Hello everyone,
I need to change the doo on my 1994 KLR. Do you guys still pass around the tools? I need the rotor puller and the rotor holder wrench.

Please pm and I will sent mailing adress.

Thanks,

Mayy
ckraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:37 PM   #44
A.R.G.08
Occasional Poster

Locale: North East Gerogia
A.R.G.08 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the reply, I was really not to sure about taken the bike down like that. I do have motor and general wrenching exp, but was still unsure about it. By the way CKraut where at in Atlanta? I'm about 45 min up 85. So if your close maybe i could check it out when you do it??
A.R.G.08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #45
nevercantell

Super Cool Since: Oct 2007
Locale: nj, usa
Postings: 13
nevercantell is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys,
put me on the list, have the parts to hand and 2 to DO
am in NJ
will turn em round real quick !

PM for addy

thanks
nevercantell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:47 AM   #46
ezwriter
A Regular

Locale: Alta Loma
Postings: 20
ezwriter is on a distinguished road

So who sells the good Doo tool? Or can i borrow someone's here? Im in CA. Havent done the doo thing but from what i read guess i need to.
What other work do i need to do? whats a Tmod? Lmod?
ezwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:19 AM   #47
KLR650NUT
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Jul 2009
Locale: Georgia
Postings: 2
KLR650NUT is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: DooHickey tool thread

OK I now have all of Mike Eagle's tools and kit plus all the other various tools and motorcycle lift to schedule the balancer lever replacement with Mike's torsion spring. My question is if there is anybody in Southeast Georgia that would like to get together and tackle more than one of these beasts at the time. If not I shall go it alone and I will keep the tools and if anybody in Southeast Georgia wants to use them look me up send me an IM.

I actually have more parts coming in so I can wait a little while because I would like to field strip mine and get several of the upgrades knocked out at the same time. I have new tires coming in, MEFO's and I am seriusly considering upgrading my shock spring because I am a heavy rider 275lbs.

I love the bike but I do not like the fact I feel like I bough a money pit. IMHO Kawasaki has too many bullcrap elcheapo parts on this bike. I don't feel like I should have to spend $1000 to get a near near bike up to prime condition.

Kawasaki dropped the ball on this Doohickey bullcrap, if the consumer product safety division does not force them to recall the balancer lever and spring the maybe KLR owners need to go with a Class Action Lawsuit against Kawasaki.

This is my second Kawasaki and my first was flawless. I am not happy with the issues that kep coming up on my new money pit.

Last edited by KLR650NUT; 07-05-2009 at 12:21 AM.
KLR650NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:24 PM   #48
tsuga

Super Cool Since: Aug 2008
Locale: Portland, OR
Postings: 12
tsuga is on a distinguished road

Wondering if anyone has a doo tool and puller that they are willing to lend out, especially in the Portland, OR area. I would be happy to send along shipping $ and mail back (or to next person) when done. If anyone is near Portland and would like to split the cost of new tools and have a little tech day, that would be great!

Thanks,
Randy
tsuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:09 PM   #49
Monkeywrench
Occasional Poster

Locale: Houston
Postings: 3
Monkeywrench is on a distinguished road

I just did mine and made my own flame bent heavy duty 1 1/4 wrench (32mm). Mine was so tight, it barely held up. I also removed some threads from the Eagle Mike puller tool so that inevitable mushroomed threads would not prevent removal after the flywheel came off. You need the best tool available just in case yours is as tight as mine was. >200 lbf*ft torque required to get flywheel off of crankshaft.
Go to Harbor Freight, purchase 1 1/4 wrench, use rosebud or cutting torch preheat to bend 100° bend at 1.50 inch from open end of wrench (a little past 90°). Next, cool the wrench down in water and reheat right next to open end (close as possible) and bend it back parallel to handle for a Z section. Cool it off and you should have a good tool. I bolted my foot peg back on (took it off to remove gear shift) and used that for a wrench stop. Having the wrench bent a little too much is actually better for this purpose. Secret method for applying more torque = lay bike on side for the whole operation, put 18 inch breaker bar in 19mm socket on removal tool, align approx with rear swing arm, walk over to other side of bike and use foot to push down on breaker bar. That's how I finally broke mine loose. Rest was easy. - Monkeywrench
Old 07-13-2009, 08:41 PM   #50
sallydog
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2008
Locale: pine barrens
Postings: 166
sallydog is on a distinguished road

i have the tools here in nj. i've done a couple. if you guys want to do a tech day, it only takes an hour or so. right by 195 and rt9.
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-14-2009, 12:25 PM   #51
pjm204

Super Cool Since: Jul 2009
Locale: NJ/PA
Postings: 357
pjm204 is on a distinguished road

if I haven't done mine by mid august, I might take you up on the NJ offer if we can get others to join in. I'm in missouri until then.
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:39 PM   #52
dirthog650
Occasional Poster

Locale: Edmonton Alberta
dirthog650 is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know if the rotor puller is required, or is there a common automotive puller that will do the same thing?(rather not buy one if I already have something that will work)
dirthog650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:34 PM   #53
NVGTI

Super Cool Since: May 2008
Locale: Dayton, NV
Postings: 2,659
NVGTI is on a distinguished road

An automotive type puller will not work. This is more of a bolt that threads into the flywheel, pushing against the crankshaft. Therefore it is more of a "pusher" than a puller so to speak.

2008 Red KLR 650, T bob, CD Moab shock, Ricors up front, EM fork brace, KLR Dash, Seat Concepts, 35,000 miles
2007 Black, Ricor front/rear, EM fork brace, heated grips,
HT skid plate, Tusk foot pegs, SV650 front brake caliper, and 15,000 miles
1984 klr600; sold https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105780
Insist on the best https://www.eagleMike.com/ or (619) two six one one two 8 1
NVGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:15 PM   #54
dirthog650
Occasional Poster

Locale: Edmonton Alberta
dirthog650 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGTI View Post
An automotive type puller will not work. This is more of a bolt that threads into the flywheel, pushing against the crankshaft. Therefore it is more of a "pusher" than a puller so to speak.
Thanks for the reply. I think I've used a simillar puller on a golf cart motor.
dirthog650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:57 PM   #55
Tigrebleau
A Regular

Locale: Central NJ
Postings: 122
Tigrebleau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydog View Post
i have the tools here in nj. i've done a couple. if you guys want to do a tech day, it only takes an hour or so. right by 195 and rt9.
Hey, Sallydog. I want to do the doo on my '09. I'm about 1/2 hour from you (GSP Exit 114). I have a double garage and a bike lift we could use if we need more space for a tech day. Can you tell me what I need to get to prepare? I think I still have some tools from when TammyTooTall did the update on my '98 KLR about 5 years ago.

Last edited by Tigrebleau; 07-21-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Tigrebleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:26 AM   #56
sallydog
A Regular

if we do it, your garage sounds good to me. i dont know anything about the 09's.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:25 PM   #57
Tigrebleau
A Regular

Locale: Central NJ
Postings: 122
Tigrebleau is on a distinguished road

I'm reasonably sure the '09 motor is nearly identical to the pre-'08s. If you have the tools and can tell me what else to get, I'll do so and we can schedule a tech day at my garage in Holmdel. I' assume I'll need a replacement doohickey (maybe the "eaglemikes"?) and a set of case gaskets. Anything else?
Tigrebleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:21 PM   #58
sallydog
A Regular

the tools i always needed... 8mm socket, puller, spanner wrench, permatex. torque wrench....i wouldnt put any dohicky in but eagle mikes and i always spend the extra for the torsion spring. i had 1 mangled spring score the cylinder. also i have never seen a broken torsion spring and even if it breaks, it cant come off the shaft. we should have a feeler guage available for anyone that wants to check their valve shims while the cam chain is loose. my callender is quite full. when do you wanna do this?
Old 07-28-2009, 05:24 PM   #59
xhaleklr
A Regular

Locale: hammond, in
Postings: 31
xhaleklr is on a distinguished road

I am wondering if anyone has the specs on space between the side of the casing and the part of the rotor that you hold with this wrench. I am trying to make my own, but I don't know if I have the clearance. If my wrench works, I would be glad to lend it to anyone in need after I use it.
xhaleklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:32 PM   #60
wyoroads
A Regular

Locale: BIG WYOMING
Postings: 111
wyoroads is on a distinguished road

On average, how much does it cost to do the doo if someone loans you the tools. Thanks.
TF
wyoroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
doohickey, klr650, loaner, thread, tool, wrench