SiteLock
Torquescalibur! (traveling in/lbs torque wrench) - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Maintenance, Modifications & Technical > Suggested reading on KLR maintenance
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Suggested reading on KLR maintenance KLR650 Maintenance related threads you should read!

Old 05-14-2009, 02:39 PM   #1
handmeawrench
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jan 2009
Locale: Fullerton, CA
Postings: 20
handmeawrench is on a distinguished road
Default Torquescalibur! (traveling in/lbs torque wrench)

The Lady In The Lake, her hands exhausted from punching so many marks into Wrenchscalibur, forges a new tool for the masses. I give you...Torquescalibur!

I was one of the proud recipients of Wrenchscalibur, and now I have an addition to the growing family of shared-use tools. I happen to have a brand new inch-pounds torque wrench that I don't need. I ordered one from Harbor Freight when I was getting ready to do the doo, but it got backordered and I had to make other plans. I bought another one in my moment of need and..well, now, I have two.

I'm willing to donate Torquescalibur to the masses if people are willing to pay for shipping to the next person that needs it. I'll pay for shipping to the first person, etc., just like Wrenchscalibur.

Here is a description of Torquescalibur:
Pittsburgh is the brand. 1/4" drive, clicker torque wrench, vanadium steel construction, torque range 20-200in.lbs., click-stop type, accurate to within =/-4%, 10" length, limited lifetime warranty, heavy duty reversible cam & pawl mechanism.

By all accounts, Wrenchscalibur is an overwhelming success. I know all us KLR wrenchers have a need for an in.lbs. torque wrench, so here is a chance to help each other out once again.

Torquescalibur comes in a hexagonal-shaped plastic storage case that I think will fit nicely into a shipping tube. I'll package her up and get it off to the first person that needs it. Just promise that you won't keep it forever...whatever job you're doing, be ready for it so we can keep it moving.

So...who wants it?
Old 06-08-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
bug klr
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jul 2008
Locale: Scott Valley CA
Postings: 1,832
bug klr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Torquescalibur! (traveling in/lbs torque wrench)

Awesome idea and thanks for helping the community
bug klr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-09-2009, 01:14 AM   #3
Chrome
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Morgantown, WV
Postings: 44
Chrome is on a distinguished road

I almost bought the same wrench, but wondered about calibration.

How do we calibrate that thing? That way if someone gets it, they can check it and adjust before over or under torquing something.

Later,
Chrome...
Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
handmeawrench
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jan 2009
Locale: Fullerton, CA
Postings: 20
handmeawrench is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
How do we calibrate that thing? That way if someone gets it, they can check it and adjust before over or under torquing something.
Well, this thing is guaranteed to be within + or - 4% accuracy. If you're torquing a bolt to 60 inch pounds, that means it'll torque to a max of 62.4 in/lbs and a minimum of 57.6 in/lbs.

I'm not an engineer, but I think this is OK. Human error (even using a torque wrench) can get you farther off the mark than this.

And like any torque wrench I've used, you can adjust the torque in whole number increments from a low of 20 to a high of 200 inch pounds, so any number of different bolts can be torqued down.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:10 PM   #5
Chrome
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Morgantown, WV
Postings: 44
Chrome is on a distinguished road

I'm not questioning initial accuracy. I'm concerned with repeated use and being shipped frequently causing accuracy issues to develop. That's why a method for calibration would be nice. Does the wrench have that option?

Later
Chrome...
Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:55 PM   #6
Mr.Bob
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Aug 2008
Locale: ID
Postings: 1,320
Mr.Bob is on a distinguished road

I appreciate the sentiment but I don't really see a torque wrench as being a one time use kind of thing. It is something you want to have around if you do any kind of work on your bike. Besides, you're going to be within $10 of just buying one outright (at least that particular one) after the cost of shipping!

So, go out and buy one for your tool chest people!
Mr.Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:11 PM   #7
Bill Heath
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Dec 2008
Locale: San Dimas, California
Postings: 104
Bill Heath is on a distinguished road

Could you tell me does 12 inch pounds equal 1 foot pound?
Bill Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:11 PM   #8
gymx
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: May 2009
Locale: Mesa, AZ
Postings: 7
gymx is on a distinguished road

Yes, it does. Google can convert for you. Just type 12 inch pounds in foot pounds and you'll get the conversion. Works with almost any unit of measure conversion.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:14 PM   #9
Kaliram
On Vacation! :)
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Oct 2008
Locale: Colorado
Postings: 74
Kaliram is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymx View Post
Yes, it does. Google can convert for you. Just type 12 inch pounds in foot pounds and you'll get the conversion. Works with almost any unit of measure conversion.
I wouldn't recommend trying to use a ft-lb torque wrench for in-lb settings. The ft-lb wrench isn't calibrated below 20 ft-lbs - thats 240 in-lbs! And an in-lb torque wrench isn't going to have high enough settings to be useful for larger bolts.

IMHO It's worth it to have both wrenches in my tool box: when I need them they're there....and over the years I've needed them enough to justify paying the one-time ownership dues, which can be as low as about $25 per wrench.

Last edited by Kaliram; 10-24-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Kaliram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:10 PM   #10
terranaut02
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Aug 2009
Locale: Monument, CO
Postings: 1
terranaut02 is on a distinguished road

For accuracy and repeatability its hard to beat a simple beam in-lb torque wrench. No moving parts, nothing to adjust or go out of calibration. Relies on the spring constant of the steel beam which will never change unless you toss the wrench into a fire. Do a google for the KD in-lb torque wrench, its on Amazon for example. The click type wrenches are more convenient but I check mine against a pair of beam type wrenches every once in a while. To compare, put sockets on both wrenches and mount the click type in a vise, couple together with a piece of hex rod or a bolt with a nut on it. Set the click wrench to some number and give a tug on the beam type, note where it clicks. Certainly not up to a metrology lab's standards but good enough for me.

I "recalibrated" a ft-lb Harbor freight using this technique, taking the HF wrench apart and screwing the appropriate piece. The problem with that particular wrench was it was not linear, calibration at 30ft-lbs wouldn't track right up to 120 ft-lbs. I adjusted to optimize for about 100 ft-lbs as I only used this thing to torque lug bolts.

If you are only going to own one torque wrench, especially in the in-lb range, I'd go for the simple beam type. You can always trust it.
terranaut02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #11
Britman
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Sep 2009
Locale: Roswell GA
Postings: 239
Britman is on a distinguished road

Anyone have a list of all the torque values for the bolts on a 2005 KLR?
Britman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #12
henerythe8th
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jul 2011
Locale: Ice Harbor, WA
Postings: 23
henerythe8th is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
I almost bought the same wrench, but wondered about calibration.

Later,
Chrome...
A simple way to calibrate a torque wrench is to place the square drive in a vice or attach a socket and place the socket in a vice.

Set the wrench to the appropriate torque that you want to check.

Measure from the center of the square drive to the center of the 'hand grip'.
Divide the desired torque by that distance (in feet or inches depending on the wrench) hand the resulting amount of weight from the center of the hand grip.

If it 'just clicks' it is correct (or the beam measurement is correct).

If it doesn't click keep adding weight until it does...
If it clicks too easily with the initial weight re-try removing weight until it clicks...

... the inaccuracy can then be calculated.
henerythe8th is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
in or lbs, torque, torquescalibur, traveling, wrench