SiteLock
Potential ticking time bomb caught! - Page 3 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Maintenance, Modifications & Technical > Suggested reading on KLR maintenance
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Suggested reading on KLR maintenance KLR650 Maintenance related threads you should read!

Old 08-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #41
bfine

Super Cool Since: May 2007
Postings: 343
bfine is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Potential ticking time bomb caught!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynut View Post
Can you guys post what year your bikes are.

Good point,

I have reported the VIN number of the two I have inspected to KAWI,

One was the original find with damage and the other produced antibodies, but had not yet progressed to full blown H1N5 Deep hole failure. so It was just spaced and called it good.

Both were early 2008 produced in 2007 the actual month I dont know.
bfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:51 PM   #42
Yard Dog
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jun 2004
Locale: Pine Lawn Missouri
Postings: 2,281
Yard Dog is on a distinguished road

I just checked my '08 which was produced 5/07. No problem found. It also did not have the stepped bushing. Mileage is 12,000. Ken
Old 12-22-2009, 05:38 AM   #43
bfine

UPDATE, I have now repaired 5 (five) early 08 KLR 650 with the outer case have been machined wrong. It will only take 30 minutes to inspect your KLR, just pop off the outer cover making sure to listen for any of the little washers on the idlers falling off and sticking to the rotor/flywheel. Place a suitable spacer into the hole, this will prevent a catastrophic failure in the future.

The spacer I use now, is from the rear fender extension that I remove because it makes a hell of a racket bouncing around on pot hole roads, it fits perfect and take up the exact amount of space needed.

Ride-on

Last edited by bfine; 12-22-2009 at 05:58 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:42 AM   #44
wilson
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2005
Postings: 26
wilson is on a distinguished road

Just curious if all 2009 klrs are free from this issue, i.e. this is only a 2008 model issue?
wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:53 AM   #45
bfine

I cant rule it out, that's for sure. I ordered a new side cover to replace my defective damaged one, and I received the same improper machine cover from Kawi parts, only after two tries and phone calls did I get the new correctly machined one, so this tells me there are some floating around in the parts system, depends when the production of the bikes were done and when they knew to look for this issue. The two 09's I've checked so far were defect free. now I am ordering 2010's for March.

Last edited by bfine; 12-24-2009 at 02:55 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:36 AM   #46
bfine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yard Dog View Post
I just checked my '08 which was produced 5/07. No problem found. It also did not have the stepped bushing. Mileage is 12,000. Ken
Ken, did you install a spacer prior to reassembly?
Old 12-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #47
Chucky650
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Jun 2008
Locale: Edgewater, Fl.
Postings: 1
Chucky650 is on a distinguished road

I just pulled my 08 apart to do the Doo. Spring had NO tension left and mine suffers from the Deep Hole Syndrome too. When the shaft was pushed into the cover, with the gears on, there was only about a 1/16 of the shaft sticking out. My inner case is OK, but the bushing has been damaged.

Does anyone know the part # for these bushings. I checked the microfiche, but couldn't find them. Can someone Help?????

Thanks
Chucky650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:53 AM   #48
bfine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky650 View Post
I just pulled my 08 apart to do the Doo. Spring had NO tension left and mine suffers from the Deep Hole Syndrome too. When the shaft was pushed into the cover, with the gears on, there was only about a 1/16 of the shaft sticking out. My inner case is OK, but the bushing has been damaged.

Does anyone know the part # for these bushings. I checked the microfiche, but couldn't find them. Can someone Help?????

Thanks
I would bring it to the attention of your dealer, and have them replace the covers. thats what they did for me.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:55 AM   #49
Yard Dog
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jun 2004
Locale: Pine Lawn Missouri
Postings: 2,281
Yard Dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine View Post
Ken, did you install a spacer prior to reassembly?
I didn't. I did talk to the service manager at the selling dealership about it and he assured me if a problem develops they will make it right. I have a 30 year relationship with them and am confident they will. I will check it again next winter. Ken
Old 12-28-2009, 08:09 PM   #50
bfine

Ken, I would just take 30 minutes of your time to just pop off the outer case and install a small spacer. Granted it takes a while for the shaft to migrate over , but the potential for major engine damage when the idler parts fall into the running motor is HUGE. not to mention stranding you. Better yet if you lay it up for winter, just drop it off at the dealer for a new cover and be done with it.

Ride-on,
Sponsored links
Old 01-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #51
Old Wanderer
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2007
Locale: Bonney Lake, WA
Postings: 223
Old Wanderer is on a distinguished road

Well the saga continues...I have an 08 that was purchased on 7/07. Same problem. I am a bit sensitive to this as I one time bought an Aprilia Falco that "was beyond economical repair"...the problem,,,the same center starter idler gear had broken the outside case, and then flexed the shaft to where it put a crack in the engine case, plus ground up the starter gears..I was able to repair in 2 hours and $100 of used parts, only because I weld, and sometimes think outside the box.

In this case I spotted the problem of the unsupported idler shaft as I was starting to reassemble the KLR. I will go to a hardware store and buy some brass washers (good bearings), and use them for spacers..

This is a problem that should not be ignored, as when the shaft finally wears enough the teeth on the starter idler hear will no longer mesh, you will have a case full of metal grindings, and you bike will not start...Then the fun begins.

Simply a classic you can pay me now, or you can pay me later story.

Iron Butt #32691
Old Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:55 PM   #52
bfine

I Repaired another 2008 KLR with a miss machined outer side case, this KLR had 10k on the ODO, it damaged the inner bushing that the idler gear shaft is inserted into, I found metal shavings on the gear, flywheel and bottom case,

I repaired it, cleaned the best I can, replaced oil and filter, back in service.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:55 AM   #53
Justin Case

Super Cool Since: Nov 2007
Locale: Philippines
Postings: 292
Justin Case is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine View Post
I Repaired another 2008 KLR with a miss machined outer side case, this KLR had 10k on the ODO, it damaged the inner bushing that the idler gear shaft is inserted into, I found metal shavings on the gear, flywheel and bottom case,

I repaired it, cleaned the best I can, replaced oil and filter, back in service.
Sounds like you caught it justin time. (he's my cousin)
Genesis 1:11

Justin Case is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:49 AM   #54
Eaglemike
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: May 2005
Locale: San Diego
Postings: 9,455
Eaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud of

I didn't take pic's, but we had one (a 2009) at the tech day. I did some p.m. by whipping out a quick spacer. Just under 10mm diameter, and about 10mm in length.

A representative from Kawasaki was there and took pic's!

There is likely some end play between the cases and the gear assembly too. I'm going to put the inner and outer case together and see how much. This aspect hasn't been addressed before, at least that I've seen.

I'll be adding a note to the instructions to inspect for this condition. At least to fix it one only needs to pull things apart down to removing the outer case, no rotor pulling.
all the best,
Mike

Cary Aspy -the real klr650 guru. RIP my brother, I miss you.

Don't try to be a great man, just be a man, and let history make it's own decision

Be your own KLR650 GURU!

Last edited by Eaglemike; 01-18-2010 at 12:23 AM. Reason: accuracy
Eaglemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:20 AM   #55
bfine

That's the first 09 I've heard of, WOW! interesting, deeper "PUN intended", problem than I thought.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:28 AM   #56
bfine

I was informed by an anonymous Kawasaki REP they are collecting VIN numbers of infective bikes to get a guide for a recall parameters, but throw in this 09, and that throws a wrench in it , so to speak, wider problem than I thought.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #57
tom stiglitz
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Dec 2009
Locale: escanaba,michigan
Postings: 54
tom stiglitz is on a distinguished road

thanks for getting the ball rolling on this with kawi,another thing to look at on my 08 oil sucker.
tom stiglitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:39 PM   #58
bfine

I just repaired another 08, with 8240 on the clock.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:30 PM   #59
bugtussle
A Regular

Locale: Yoncalla, Oregon
Postings: 73
bugtussle is on a distinguished road

Oh Boy, could be the reason they are blowing 09's out at $4,499.00 in Portland, OR. At that price we could consider that the KLR is just a notch and a half above the cheap Ting Tang China Crap!!
Old 01-31-2010, 10:32 PM   #60
Old Wanderer
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2007
Locale: Bonney Lake, WA
Postings: 223
Old Wanderer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugtussle View Post
Oh Boy, could be the reason they are blowing 09's out at $4,499.00 in Portland, OR. At that price we could consider that the KLR is just a notch and a half above the cheap Ting Tang China Crap!!
That is pretty much a fantasy...this only seems to effect the early 08 bikes.

Now with the 2010 bikes, it always causes a blow-out of last years models.

Iron Butt #32691
Old Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
bomb, caught, potential, ticking, time