SiteLock
Hey you! Clean your air filter! - Page 2 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Maintenance, Modifications & Technical > Suggested reading on KLR maintenance
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Suggested reading on KLR maintenance KLR650 Maintenance related threads you should read!

Old 04-20-2011, 09:48 AM   #21
dvgonzo
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Dec 2004
Locale: Over the hill NW of Spoonbooty,N.M.
Postings: 1,988
dvgonzo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hey you! Clean your air filter!

I am not sure to tell you the truth.

I did once try to use the SPRAY on K&N oil on a foam filter and it would not allow the air to go through the foam filter. Washed it out and never used anything but foam filter oil on foam filters ever again. Especially after seeing the way most oils will migrate to the bottom of the filter and then drain out into the airbox, leaving the filters dry and unprotected.

I never really did like the K&N filters (even on my street bikes) cause if you hold them up to a back light you can see light coming through the rather large spaces in them. If you can see light through them, then in my opinion dirt can make it through as well.

I have and always will use gasoline for cleaning my air filters. I know, I know, it is dangerous, the CPSC has determined this is a bad practice, it can eat your hands up (use rubber gloves!) its not enviromentally sound, blah, blah, etc. etc.

It works, it is fast, cleans a filter out incredibly clean with very little hastle, drys out to be oiled in minutes (or less if you help it dry with a little compressed air), does not cost much for a cup or two of gasoline (even at todays gas prices), and I am good at it.

Been doing it that way on a host of bikes for over 40 years and never had it eat up a filter yet too! Not sure who first came up with this bogus info as all filters and the glues used to hold them together withstand gas and oil....they have to as petroleum (filter oil) would eat the glue up just as bad as gas if they were not resistant to it.
dvgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:31 AM   #22
monkeymind

Super Cool Since: Nov 2010
Locale: Clatskanie, Oregon
Postings: 687
monkeymind is on a distinguished road

I cleaned my filter today and discovered the bottom corner has melted. What do you all suggest to fix this? Or can I just leave it. I don't do any water crossings.

monkeymind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-23-2011, 09:53 AM   #23
dvgonzo
KLR Enthusiast

Bummer, Did it get up against your muffler/pipe or was it just THAT close and hot?

I personally would fix it as on the bottom side there if you get into soft dirt/dust the way it likes to circulate around the rear tire as it gets kicked up it will allow a lot more of it into the airbox than if it was only coming from the top/side where the original inlet to the airbox is located. This will trash out your air filter way faster, so I think it would be a good idea to plug the hole.

I have had pretty good results using Super Weather Strip Adhesive (3M product available through NAPA). You could try silicon but it usually gives up in enviroments that have constant exposure to gas and oil like airboxes do. The 3M stuff has acetone in it as a carrier and once it evaporates off the stuff is pretty tough.( I have used it on occasion to re-glue foam airfilters but they have to be real clean, last cleaning with alcohol, allowed to dry overnight, and you cannot use a lot of it as the acetone in it will eat up a some foams so you have to make sure the acetone evaporates off real fast. Small fan or heat gun set on air only works good) ) It is kinda thin though and tends to want to run and drip till it starts to set up.

Due to the heat it will see there I think what I would do is take some heavy duty aluminum foil (about a foot square) and fold it down till it is about a 1/2 inch larger than the hole. Place it over the hole and press on it to sort of form the aluminum to the shape of the airbox.

Clean both inside and out of airbox with rubbing alcohol or acetone real good and let dry completely. Use a clean rag wet down with one of those solvents and make sure it is pretty clean so it will stick good.

Then put a generous covering of the Super Weather Strip on BOTH the airbox and inside of the aluminum foil and let it start to evaporate off and get a little thicker as it cures out for a couple minutes. This helps to keep it in place and once you put the formed aluminum into place over the hole it will stick like gangbusters.

I would then allow it to dry for several hours and probably coat
over the aluminum with another layer of the weather strip adhesive and another layer of folded foil.

Come back after it has dried and fill in from the top/airbox side a little and it will be pretty strong as well.

By having the last layer of foil exposed it will move the heat away and will stand up to the heat a lot better than the plasctic in the airbox.

I have fixed several airboxes in this manner and frequently use foil like that in areas that can get cooked by heat. (Under plastic side panels and even between carbon fiber pipe guards and pipes/headers on some of my dirt scoots.

Cheap, easy, and quick! Just like I LIKE my.....oops better stop there!
Old 04-23-2011, 11:10 PM   #24
monkeymind

Thanks Dvgonzo! I think I'll try your idea using a piece of thin copper sheet. Thanks for the suggestion.

Exhaust is stock and not touching. I wonder if letting it idle and warm up (before I learned that was bad) for 5-10 minutes caused it. I am also at sea level and wonder if it is running a bit lean causing hotter exhaust gasses temp. (Stack carb settings.)

On the bright side, cleaning the filter cleared up my surging problem!
Old 04-24-2011, 09:09 AM   #25
dvgonzo
KLR Enthusiast

Typically unless it is way cold out you only need to let an engine warm up for about a minute. Because yours is still stock I would be surprised it it is NOT running pretty lean. They have to lean em out bad to meet emmissions. That will cause quite a bit of extra exhaust heat in itself....especially if not moving so no air can circulate around the hot header and pipe.

If you have copper on hand that will work too, but copper as well as move the heat will tend to trap a little more of it in the metal (longer than aluminm will anyway) and might still melt or soften up the airbox plastic some where it comes in contact with it.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:51 PM   #26
monkeymind

Dvgonzo,

After I learned that oil delivery is poor during idle, I start and let it warm just long enough to get the choke off and it won't stutter when I twist the throttle. Doesn't take long, especially with the Thermobob installed. Works great!
Old 04-24-2011, 10:35 PM   #27
Phinhead

Super Cool Since: May 2010
Locale: Dothan, AL
Postings: 402
Phinhead is on a distinguished road

I erroneously blamed the Cee Baileys adjustable touring on my loss of about 4 MPG at interstate speeds. Come to find out, it was a dirty, stock air filter. I made the mistake of thinking that if I ride the highway 95% of the time, I can go an oil change without worrying about it.

WRONG!
Phinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:00 AM   #28
monkeymind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinhead View Post
I erroneously blamed the Cee Baileys adjustable touring on my loss of about 4 MPG at interstate speeds. Come to find out, it was a dirty, stock air filter. I made the mistake of thinking that if I ride the highway 95% of the time, I can go an oil change without worrying about it.

WRONG!
What MPG are you getting now? I wonder how much mine will change now that my filter is clean and the minor surging is gone.

I rode the KLR with the air box cover off, and it sounded really cool and loud, but it affected the feel of the throttle though.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:46 AM   #29
dvgonzo
KLR Enthusiast

Yeah I get a chuckle out of folks who remove an airbox cover and then cause the intake noise is so much louder SWEAR they have more acceleration and power.
Dirty air filters are the #1 cause of bad mileage....IMO anyway.

Most of the bike manufacturers put in quite a bit of design time to ensure the airbox is big anough and can flow enough air for the needs of a particular model.

I to over the years have removed some damaged airboxes and even modified a few to boot. Some (Like my Seca 600) made huge losses in power and really affected the way the bike ran. Most were worse performance wise and having an airbox sure does make the filter cleanings last a lot longer also they are a definate plus in wet conditions.

Leat week I went 252 miles before I hit reserve and then filled it up at 273. (I wanted the tank real light as I had to remove it for some maintenance). Even though I tend to flog my KLR it STILL gets GREAT mileage!
Old 04-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #30
monkeymind

With the air box cover back on, I realize now that most of the engine sound on acceleration is not from the exhaust, but actually from the intake side! Without the cover, it is irritatingly loud after a bit and it causes a sort of delay throttle response... a surge then a drop and then it goes. Felt like a small wave in the power.

For more power, I wonder how a KLR would do with a turbo added. That would be interesting!
Sponsored links
Old 04-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #31
Phinhead

Super Cool Since: May 2010
Locale: Dothan, AL
Postings: 402
Phinhead is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymind View Post
What MPG are you getting now? I wonder how much mine will change now that my filter is clean and the minor surging is gone.

I rode the KLR with the air box cover off, and it sounded really cool and loud, but it affected the feel of the throttle though.

At 71 MPH (GPS), I get about 41 MPG, and this is with side bags and the tall shield. If I slow down to 65 GPS, I can get 45. I find that I lose roughly a MPG per MPH over 55MPH.
Phinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:25 AM   #32
Hellcat650

Super Cool Since: Jan 2007
Locale: Quispamsis, NB, CANADA
Postings: 581
Hellcat650 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like I've got a Sunday job to do.

I keep meaning to buy a 2nd filter and have it all ready to go so I can just swap it out...
Someday.

August 2012 TLH Adventure

KLR's in Atlantic Canada: https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=234762
Hellcat650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:15 AM   #33
dvgonzo
KLR Enthusiast

Yeah a dirt ridin' bud recently sold his old WR and he had about 4-5 filters all cleaned and oiled up ready for installation. (He would only really "clean" filters about once a year he had so many, just stuff the dirty ones in a plastic bag and pull a clean one out of the clean and oiled bag, install, and ride!

Well after he sold off his old WR (got a brand spakin' new one!) he gave me all the old filters as they did not fit the new scoot....I was lucky enough to get them just after he went througha cleaning session too, so I am good for proabbly the whole Summer....on the WR anyway.

The KLR I can go about 3-4 real dusty rides (if I am leading the charge or stay back some from the guy in front of me). Then I will open up the airbox and yank off the filter skin and can get another 3-4 before cleaning it up again.

Multiple filters are nice but I still like to clean out the airbox real good each time I change out a filter so it still takes about 30 minutes.....but hey, I need a little suds sucking time while working on the beast.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:26 PM   #34
GoMotor
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Oct 2009
Locale: Texas
Postings: 7,290
GoMotor is just really niceGoMotor is just really niceGoMotor is just really niceGoMotor is just really niceGoMotor is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymind View Post
Thanks Dvgonzo! I think I'll try your idea using a piece of thin copper sheet. Thanks for the suggestion.

Exhaust is stock and not touching. I wonder if letting it idle and warm up (before I learned that was bad) for 5-10 minutes caused it. I am also at sea level and wonder if it is running a bit lean causing hotter exhaust gasses temp. (Stack carb settings.)

On the bright side, cleaning the filter cleared up my surging problem!
Mine has a shield between the air box and the exhaust pipe. Is that shield in place on yours?

I would consider JB Weld to repair the air box. I has been working fine on the radiator and the cam cover on my Goldwing for several thousand miles.

I use the weather strip cement to fix the seams on the foam filter when they start to separate.
GoMotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:33 PM   #35
Swinada
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2008
Locale: Peace River Area, British Columbia
Postings: 61
Swinada is on a distinguished road

Monkeymind, i would repair it with JB Weld and some kind of plastic whatever you find laying around, but more importantly check your exhaust pipe connections, it seems to me that the middle flange right below the airbox is loose on your KLR and lets hot exhaust out to burn your airbox. I think that is even mentionend in the owners manual.
Swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #36
theblahmonster
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Oct 2010
Locale: Warner Robins, GA
Postings: 191
theblahmonster is on a distinguished road

Question: what is the purpose of air filter oil, and what will happen if you run your bike without it?
theblahmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:31 PM   #37
monkeymind

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblahmonster View Post
Question: what is the purpose of air filter oil, and what will happen if you run your bike without it?
The oil traps the dust encountered in trail riding. Without it, some dust will get into your intake; and pistons really don't do any better with dust than our eyes do.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:35 AM   #38
stinker

Super Cool Since: Jun 2007
Locale: 892745.96 Smoots WNW of SpoonBooty
Postings: 629
stinker is on a distinguished road

Just an observation/question?
Why are filter skins so expensive, all they seem to be
is plain double knit "T" shirt fabric sewn into a "sock".
For those of you that have them are they constructed of a poly
fabric or cotton?
stinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:43 PM   #39
natneichrban

Super Cool Since: Aug 2008
Locale: Eastern Idaho
Postings: 319
natneichrban is on a distinguished road

The KLR's have a puny air filter compared to many other off road bikes and they plug up rapidly in dusty conditions. I have been thinking of adding filter skins to prolong the service period. Does anyone here have any experience with them, and a KLR cheapskate way to make your own?
Old 05-30-2011, 06:18 PM   #40
stinker

Super Cool Since: Jun 2007
Locale: 892745.96 Smoots WNW of SpoonBooty
Postings: 629
stinker is on a distinguished road

That was the point of my post , I think I will be making my own,
just waiting for the Cotton or Poly info. I figure about .50c of fabric
should be enough for 10 or more.
stinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
air, clean, filter, hey