SiteLock
Took Africa Twin Demo Ride. Keeping KLR. - Page 3 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Second Generation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR650 Second Generation 2008-2017+ Related Topics

Old 09-18-2017, 07:10 AM   #41
PittsDriver

Super Cool Since: Sep 2014
Locale: Annapolis MD
Postings: 682
PittsDriver is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Took Africa Twin Demo Ride. Keeping KLR.

I'm thinking that the Husky FE701 comes pretty close to all-around dual sport that meets Dave's criteria (except for cost - yikes!) It's more than twice the power numbers of the KLR, weighs more than 100 lbs less, will easily go over 100 mph on the road, and you can have two bikes for the price of 1.1 - get the super moto and a set of off road wheels and tires for it. Yeah, it's over $11K which puts it in the price range of the Africa Twin but at over 150 lbs lighter and ready to go the distance right off the showroom floor. I'm getting very tempted.

I went through that calculus more than once about "I can buy two bikes for the price of that one." My conclusion in each case for me was yeah, but neither of those two bikes would do what the one more expensive one would do. If I want to ride the Continental Divide Ride, I can do it on either my KLR or my GS but when I ride my GS from the east coast to El Paso, I'll be using the cruise control, heated grips, way better wind protection, and 80mph passing power. And, I'll have an alternator that can handle everything I want to power - heated clothes and all my charging needs. Only I can decide what all that is worth to me.

I recently took my KLR on a 1,900 mile ADV ride instead of the GS, mainly because I wanted to see how my final drive changes affecting the fun I'd have on the bike. That 14/47 kills it off the pavement and leaves my pals in my dust on the road. Loved it even when I had to drone along at nearly 6,000 rpm for 45 minutes to get somewhere. But in making the decision to take the KLR, I hauled it down and back (1,300 miles round trip) instead of riding it. If I had taken the GS, I would have just ridden it down and back.

Again, the KLR is an awesome bike for the experiences it can enable at the lowest cost. Only you can decide if the more expensive options are worth it to you.
'16 KTM 1290 R Super Duke (for my inner hooligan)
PittsDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:24 AM   #42
"Mitch"
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Aug 2014
Locale: Iowa
Postings: 3,100
"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice

In looking at the specs, is the FE701 that much different than the 690 Enduro?

I have thought for a long time that if you really wanted a hard core dual sport, the 690 Enduro would be hard to beat.

I see the FE701 has a little more power and about an inch more suspension travel but it does seem to be real close to its cousin.

But Pitts, if you're going to wuss out and trailer your KLR, you might as well pop for the Husky.
"Mitch" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:23 AM   #43
PittsDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Mitch" View Post
But Pitts, if you're going to wuss out and trailer your KLR, you might as well pop for the Husky.
I might have deserved that But I will just say in my defense that I've ridden my KLR from Annapolis MD to Port Orford Oregon, about 85% of that off the pavement, and put about 7,000 miles on it for that use. So I'm not afraid of epic miles on the KLR but just being practical about how I've biased mine for off road use (final drive mainly).
Old 09-18-2017, 11:21 AM   #44
DPelletier
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Aug 2010
Locale: Kelowna B.C.
Postings: 6,247
DPelletier will become famous soon enoughDPelletier will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
I'm thinking that the Husky FE701 comes pretty close to all-around dual sport that meets Dave's criteria (except for cost - yikes!) It's more than twice the power numbers of the KLR, weighs more than 100 lbs less, will easily go over 100 mph on the road, and you can have two bikes for the price of 1.1 - get the super moto and a set of off road wheels and tires for it. Yeah, it's over $11K which puts it in the price range of the Africa Twin but at over 150 lbs lighter and ready to go the distance right off the showroom floor. I'm getting very tempted.
sort of......it's basically a modded KTM690R which I give the "if I had to ride a bone stock bike" award. .....but at the same time, it has some of the same issues; weird ergos, poor range/fuel capacity (with expensive and complicated aftermarket solutions), no luggage rack or wind protection, etc.

weight wise, it's alot closer than you think; stock to stock there is a 63 lb difference between a KTM690R and a Gen1 KLR https://advrider.com/index.php?threa....316846/page-9 but my KLR's are 20-25 lbs lighter than stock due to some basic upgrades (battery/silencer) AND since I refuse to penalize the KLR for carrying a decent amount of fuel, the real world difference (wet, no fuel) is closer to 25-30 lbs....not insignificant but not huge, either. I'll stop short of saying my modded KLR's are as good as a 690R offroad but they are close enough that it comes back to the rider's abilities.

If they had updated the 640Adventure instead of going with the weird 690 and it's trellis frame, tank under the seat redesign, I'd almost certainly be riding one of those.

Dave
twins; 2000 & 2001 KLR's: Cogent suspension, 320mm rotor+SV calipers, IMS tanks+ tankvest, Knight designs pegs, Anti-gravity batteries, Renthal bars, MT21 and D606 tires, FMF Q4 and LeoVince X3, ...and most everything that Eaglemike makes! :-)
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:23 PM   #45
"Mitch"
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Aug 2014
Locale: Iowa
Postings: 3,100
"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
I might have deserved that But I will just say in my defense that I've ridden my KLR from Annapolis MD to Port Orford Oregon, about 85% of that off the pavement, and put about 7,000 miles on it for that use. So I'm not afraid of epic miles on the KLR but just being practical about how I've biased mine for off road use (final drive mainly).
Of course I was kidding. I know you road the TAT on the KLR. Way more manly than I. My longest trip on the KLR was about 1200 miles, and only about 30% of that was dirt/gravel/sand.

I think Mark Samson (Big Dog) has the right program. He has the AT for longer tours on back roads and gravel. But for anything more gnarly and further from home, he bought a Ford Transit van that he uses to haul his smaller bikes to places like Baja, WA, etc. Makes a lot of sense to me.

https://www.bigdogadventures.com/

Another thing Mark has that makes a lot of sense to me is his modified 2008 WR.....that now has over 50k miles on it. With the WR being discontinued I am seriously considering grabbing one.

"Mitch" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:30 AM   #46
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Phoenix, Az
Postings: 18,473
Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

I've had the opportunity to have the 2016 and just released 2017 Husky spending a few days in my garage with ok to ride them like I own them. The 2016 was the motard version and the 2017 the enduro. The 2017 has the most recent KTM 690 engine which really is significantly less vibration. Even more so going from a stock KLR to big bore kit. Normally, I wouldn't care about vibration but in back to back I'd spend the extra coin for the latest version. One that that had me question that decision was the 2017 seems to be lacking a bit off the bottom in comparison but different bikes with different gearing.

As Dave points out weight isn't that much compared to a prepped gen 1 KLR but in the real world and how it reacts/rides its significant. Of course, thats throwing out the engine performance. I don't think I could do the enduro version as it would allow me to ride at speeds off road I really shouldn't/can't be doing anymore. Motard version...its the closest to any bike that compares to my recently departed Aprilia SXV550 motard.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:12 PM   #47
PittsDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck B View Post
I don't think I could do the enduro version as it would allow me to ride at speeds off road I really shouldn't/can't be doing anymore.
Actual truth be told, that's why I took my KLR on my most recent long ADV ride. I could have taken the GS as it was serviced and ready to roll. I rode the GS enough off-road to know that I am capable of taking it anywhere I'd take my KLR. I put 2,000 off-road miles on it last year riding my Appalachia trail ride from Maggie Valley to NY and back. But for trail/enduro or even mixed ADV type riding, the KLR is fun and gets it done and doesn't tempt me to high speed romps the way the GS does. Those two bikes are still sorting out their place in my garage.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:26 PM   #48
DPelletier
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Aug 2010
Locale: Kelowna B.C.
Postings: 6,247
DPelletier will become famous soon enoughDPelletier will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck B View Post

As Dave points out weight isn't that much compared to a prepped gen 1 KLR but in the real world and how it reacts/rides its significant. Of course, thats throwing out the engine performance. I don't think I could do the enduro version as it would allow me to ride at speeds off road I really shouldn't/can't be doing anymore.
Yep; no comparison in the power department though for the 1st-3rd gear tighter stuff I tend to ride suspension and weight are far more important than power.......well unless you encounter a difficult hillclimb or mudbog, etc. The KLR's modest power output keeps me from doing some crazy stuff but even 37-ish hp is enough to go too fast around a hidden corner on a logging road sometimes....DAMHIK!

Dave
twins; 2000 & 2001 KLR's: Cogent suspension, 320mm rotor+SV calipers, IMS tanks+ tankvest, Knight designs pegs, Anti-gravity batteries, Renthal bars, MT21 and D606 tires, FMF Q4 and LeoVince X3, ...and most everything that Eaglemike makes! :-)
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:55 AM   #49
klrluna

Super Cool Since: Feb 2014
Locale: Nemo SD
Postings: 14
klrluna is on a distinguished road

I love the theme started by Chuck B. The KLR as old guy speed control. (not that anybody here is old) I love mine for the same reason, I have to save whats left of me for later.
klrluna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
africa, demo, keeping, klr, ride, twin