SiteLock
Got Hit At Red Light...... - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Off The Beaten Path > Accidents, Crashes, and Close-calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Accidents, Crashes, and Close-calls Post-incident report, analysis and discussion aimed at increasing safety

Old 11-09-2017, 09:59 PM   #1
By-tor
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2010
Locale: Georgia
Postings: 229
By-tor is on a distinguished road
Default Got Hit At Red Light......

On the way home yesterday, sitting at red light, then BAM.... guy in old S-10 truck hits me. No damage on my end. His headlight hit my exhaust pipe. Busted his light and broke his grille. Just minor scratches on my muffler.
Guy was pretty freaked out about it. I told him no worries mate.
Just a reminder for all here to keep alert. Could have been worse but all is well.
Ride safe everyone,
Cheers,

Eric
By-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:35 AM   #2
K33
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2016
Locale: Bahstahn
Postings: 179
K33 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Got Hit At Red Light......

damn! glad yer ok. I find myself watching my rearview at lights UNTIL theres a car PARKED behind me, as a barrier.

I dont know enough about metal fatigue to know what to NOT worry about, so i'd still be worried about alignment, up at the header for example.

Good to hear he was driving slow.
Sponsored links
Old 11-10-2017, 01:27 PM   #3
By-tor
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by K33 View Post
damn! glad yer ok. I find myself watching my rearview at lights UNTIL theres a car PARKED behind me, as a barrier.

I dont know enough about metal fatigue to know what to NOT worry about, so i'd still be worried about alignment, up at the header for example.

Good to hear he was driving slow.
Thanks. Yes, I always monitor my mirrors for that as well. He was stopped and looking down. He thought I went so he started and there I was.
Everything seems to be fine on my bike.

Cheers,
Eric
Old 11-10-2017, 02:49 PM   #4
PittsDriver

Super Cool Since: Sep 2014
Locale: Annapolis MD
Postings: 714
PittsDriver is on a distinguished road

I was 19 years old sitting at the traffic light at 14th and Spring St in downtown Atlanta waiting on the light to change and got hit from behind by a Marta bus hard enough to knock me out into the intersection into the crossing traffic. I looked up between my legs and there was a 70's vintage Ford Torino locking up its brakes headed for me. It stopped just in time. But that's not the interesting part of this incident. I got a ticket from the Atlanta police for improper lane change. As I was signing the ticket the cop told me to show up and contest it and that if he wrote the Marta bus driver a ticket, it would cost him his job. I told the cop that if the last guy this idiot hit had gotten him the ticket, I might not have been nearly killed in the intersection. I showed up and plead innocent and the bus driver was there with 5 witnesses from the bus that were willing to confirm his story that I changed lanes in front of the bus even though none of them could have seen me do that from where they were sitting. That got and eye-roll from the judge who dismissed my ticket and sent it all away. My bike was banged up a bit but rideable. Allstate had me sign a letter of subrogation and they went after Marta for the damages and did not raise my rate.
'16 KTM 1290 R Super Duke (for my inner hooligan)
PittsDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:11 PM   #5
By-tor
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
I was 19 years old sitting at the traffic light at 14th and Spring St in downtown Atlanta waiting on the light to change and got hit from behind by a Marta bus hard enough to knock me out into the intersection into the crossing traffic. I looked up between my legs and there was a 70's vintage Ford
Torino locking up its brakes headed for me. It stopped just in time. But that's not the interesting part of this incident. I got a ticket from the Atlanta police for improper lane change. As I was signing the ticket the cop told me to show up and contest it and that if he wrote the Marta bus driver a ticket, it would cost him his job. I told the cop that if the last guy this idiot hit had gotten him the ticket, I might not have been nearly killed in the intersection. I showed up and plead innocent and the bus driver was there with 5 witnesses from the bus that were willing to confirm his story that I changed lanes in front of the bus even though none of them could have seen me do that from where they were sitting. That got and eye-roll from the judge who dismissed my ticket and sent it all away. My bike was banged up a bit but rideable. Allstate had me sign a letter of subrogation and they went after Marta for the damages and did not raise my rate.

I wonder if the "witnesses" were some co workers of his???
Gotta love the system!

Cheers,
Eric
Old 11-11-2017, 10:55 AM   #6
Rickysnickers
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Mar 2005
Locale: 32.982805,-117.062252
Postings: 807
Rickysnickers is on a distinguished road

Glad you are alright!
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:53 AM   #7
old paines

Super Cool Since: Apr 2016
Locale: Orlando, FL
Postings: 13
old paines is on a distinguished road

been hit twice from behind only one did damage. GLAD to hear your okay!! and keep your eyes on your mirrors until you have at least one car stop (not to close) behind you.and keep bike in gear to one side of your lane in case you have to move fast between cars in front of you. drove trucks over 45 years best advice is to ALWAYS LEAVE YOURSELF AN OUT.
old paines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:54 AM   #8
WiRider
Not one of the experts.

Super Cool Since: Mar 2012
Locale: Madison WI
Postings: 2,490
WiRider has a spectacular aura aboutWiRider has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
That got and eye-roll from the judge who dismissed my ticket and sent it all away.
Sounds more to me like officer gave judge a head's up. Makes sense too.

Nobody hurt. Minor damage with insurance coverage. Bus driver gonna get chewed out either way but pity for him to lose job over it and real hard to find drivers (if it's like here). Then judge magically works it out so no foul all around. Does sound like a word was put in about it all. Know the local boys here and they help in the right places and ways when have wiggle room... sounds just like it.

You got friends!

Tags
hit, light, red