SiteLock
Question re: Adding relay for aux LED lights - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 First Generation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR650 First Generation 1987-2007 Related Topics

Old 10-17-2017, 12:09 PM   #1
skiers

Super Cool Since: Apr 2017
Locale: Connecticut
Postings: 16
skiers is on a distinguished road
Default Question re: Adding relay for aux LED lights

I've added LED lights to my '02 KLR and I love them. Super bright spot lights (and they look cool too IMO ; ). I've wired them directly to the battery for now....and I've already forgot to turn them off a few times after riding (luckily they didn't wear down the battery - yet)....SO, now I'd like to wire them to a relay so that they turn off when I kill the power to the bike. Would love to hear opinions / directions on the best way to do this. Should I buy / install a relay? If so, any suggestions on which relay I should buy? And more importantly for me - as I'm a newbie wrencher - can someone provide guidance on best way to install the relay? OR, is it possible / safe to wire them to the low beam wire cable which goes to the headlight / running light? Also, I'm seriously looking at installing heated grips, so I imagine I would want to wire that to the same relay?? Any and all feedback in appreciated! Added a few pics for those interested in what they look like
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	65330  Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-3.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	65331  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8448.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	65332  

Last edited by skiers; 10-17-2017 at 12:17 PM.
skiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:07 PM   #2
WiRider
Not one of the experts.

Super Cool Since: Mar 2012
Locale: Madison WI
Postings: 2,493
WiRider has a spectacular aura aboutWiRider has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Question re: Adding relay for aux LED lights

Use a standard 4 pin automotive relay and a fuse with fuse holder. Reliable and will handle lot more power than you need. The relay connections are labelled with numbers that are clearly stamped right on the relay.

Pins 85 and 86 control the relay. 30 and 87 are the power being controlled.

Controlling the relay: (on only when ignition switch is on)
Connect 85 to bike ground, that's the black/yellow wire found all over the bike.
86 controls relay. Gets power from the ignition switch brown/white wire when bike on. Brown/white wire is going to the Vreg/rect just aft of the battery and also goes to the connector for the dash gauges. The city lights brown/white wire will also work for this.
You can add a switch to manually disconnect relay 86 when power not wanted.

Controlled Power:
Suggest power right from battery + to a new fuse/fuse holder you add, then to relay contact 30.
Switched + power will come out on contact 87 and go to your new device.

Ground for your device is yellow/black wire all over bike, or a new wire to frame ground.

Hook 2 separate relays up if you like. One for the lights, one for the warmer.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:30 AM   #3
skiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiRider View Post
Use a standard 4 pin automotive relay and a fuse with fuse holder. Reliable and will handle lot more power than you need. The relay connections are labelled with numbers that are clearly stamped right on the relay.

Pins 85 and 86 control the relay. 30 and 87 are the power being controlled.

Controlling the relay: (on only when ignition switch is on)
Connect 85 to bike ground, that's the black/yellow wire found all over the bike.
86 controls relay. Gets power from the ignition switch brown/white wire when bike on. Brown/white wire is going to the Vreg/rect just aft of the battery and also goes to the connector for the dash gauges. The city lights brown/white wire will also work for this.
You can add a switch to manually disconnect relay 86 when power not wanted.

Controlled Power:
Suggest power right from battery + to a new fuse/fuse holder you add, then to relay contact 30.
Switched + power will come out on contact 87 and go to your new device.

Ground for your device is yellow/black wire all over bike, or a new wire to frame ground.

Hook 2 separate relays up if you like. One for the lights, one for the warmer.
AWESOME. Thanks so much!
Old 11-13-2017, 08:29 PM   #4
skiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiers View Post
AWESOME. Thanks so much!
OK, so I'm (sadly) just finding the time to do this. Current set up is I have a on/off switch on my handlebars. The on/off switch wiring (there are 2 wires) coming out of the switch feed into the relay. The wiring from each light also goes into the relay. I have the positive and negative wires coming from the realy wired directly to the battery. The lights stay ON when the key is OFF. How do I reconnect (and to what) the positive and negative wires to so that they lose power when I turn the key off? I know you may have explained this in our last answer but I'm a total rookie with th is stuff. Thanks again.

this is the wiring harness system I bought and am using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by skiers; 11-13-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:06 AM   #5
rjmay3

Super Cool Since: Aug 2013
Locale: Phoenix area
Postings: 347
rjmay3 is on a distinguished road

Keyed power(small inline fuse) to switch, other wire from switch to 86 on relay, 85 to frame ground. Fused battery feed to 87, light units to 30. Black wire on light units to ground.

This way will shut off lights with key off, regardless of switch position. Switch will work while bike is running.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:25 AM   #6
skiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmay3 View Post
Keyed power(small inline fuse) to switch, other wire from switch to 86 on relay, 85 to frame ground. Fused battery feed to 87, light units to 30. Black wire on light units to ground.

This way will shut off lights with key off, regardless of switch position. Switch will work while bike is running.
Thanks, but again, total rookie here. “Keyed power (small inline fuse)” ?? Not following you there. Can you please explain to me like I’m a 5 year old? Thank you.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:25 AM   #7
WiRider
Not one of the experts.

He bought a relay with harness and switch kit for a really good price. But no terminal numbers for the relay connections can be seen. Look at the link, on the website there is a pic with it's schematic but it does not include details of the connections that may have been made inside the specialty connector to relay but clearly there are some. Should be no problem unless they did something really funny, incomplete schematic, can't tell so felt just like my ex designed it so max risk assumed and zero trust. Took a while to write it up, apologies for that... here goes...

-SETUP- Testing to see if can get ignition switch control for aux lights.
Leave the little lighted switch with 3 wire harness unplugged and set it aside - not using it during testing and need the extra mystery out of circuit.
Assume you are getting power for aux lights straight from the battery + and a good ground.
Ignition OFF.

The relay harness has 3 wires to a connector for the lighted switch, test by connecting it's red wire to it's white wire temporarily. Do aux lamps come on? If YES this passed and will be easy, else stop here and inform me and we will proceed by turning key off and connecting that white wire going to the relay to the brown/white wire anywhere on the bike as this is +12v controlled by the ignition switch... and you are done. Aux lights on anytime key in on position. Check it.

Later we can test adding the lighted switch back in to connect/disconnect the white wire to relay from the brown/white from the bike IF you want to manually turn the aux lights OFF while riding, or starting.

MICTUNING MIC-B1002 LED Light Bar Wiring Harness, Fuse 40A Relay On-off Waterproof Switch

Harness is rated at 12V 15A 180W with a 40A automotive relay provided. I would fuse it to suit the lights, 5A probably, didn't look up what lights you have. Watts / Volts = Amps, then go next highest fuse. Or just put smaller and smaller fuse in till one blows and go back up to the last one that didn't.

They have kits with waterproof lighted switch for 180W $10.99, 300W $10.99, and 600W $18.67... and a dual switch 300W $23.99. 12 ft lengths! Intended for Automotive Aux Lighting. Looks like good find to me!

Years ago made up 2 harnesses exactly like this for my Gen1 Headlight. 1 for high beam, one for low beam. One heavy wire back to the battery instead of 2. The high/low beam switch wires turn on the high or low beam relay as needed. Gained a good deal brightness and took the load of all that headlight power going through the hi/low beam switch off it. These will be useful kits around a KLR! Heated grips... phone charger and aux... pretty much universal.

Soon as it works for you we'll know what to buy for all our other needs on the bike.

Great Find! Thanks!

If you need me to go slower and explain more carefully I'd be happy to do so, just let me know. You got a winning project here. Happy to help, so are the others.

Last edited by WiRider; 11-14-2017 at 05:02 AM.
WiRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:10 AM   #8
skiers

Quote:
He bought a relay with harness and switch kit for a really good price. But no terminal numbers for the relay connections can be seen. Look at the link, on the website there is a pic with it's schematic but it does not include details of the connections that may have been made inside the specialty connector to relay but clearly there are some. Should be no problem unless they did something really funny, incomplete schematic, can't tell so felt just like my ex designed it so max risk assumed and zero trust. Took a while to write it up, apologies for that... here goes...

-SETUP- Testing to see if can get ignition switch control for aux lights.
Leave the little lighted switch with 3 wire harness unplugged and set it aside - not using it during testing and need the extra mystery out of circuit.
Assume you are getting power for aux lights straight from the battery + and a good ground.
Ignition OFF.

The relay harness has 3 wires to a connector for the lighted switch, test by connecting it's red wire to it's white wire temporarily. Do aux lamps come on? If YES this passed and will be easy, else stop here and inform me and we will proceed by turning key off and connecting that white wire going to the relay to the brown/white wire anywhere on the bike as this is +12v controlled by the ignition switch... and you are done. Aux lights on anytime key in on position. Check it.

Later we can test adding the lighted switch back in to connect/disconnect the white wire to relay from the brown/white from the bike IF you want to manually turn the aux lights OFF while riding, or starting.

MICTUNING MIC-B1002 LED Light Bar Wiring Harness, Fuse 40A Relay On-off Waterproof Switch

Harness is rated at 12V 15A 180W with a 40A automotive relay provided. I would fuse it to suit the lights, 5A probably, didn't look up what lights you have. Watts / Volts = Amps, then go next highest fuse. Or just put smaller and smaller fuse in till one blows and go back up to the last one that didn't.

They have kits with waterproof lighted switch for 180W $10.99, 300W $10.99, and 600W $18.67... and a dual switch 300W $23.99. 12 ft lengths! Intended for Automotive Aux Lighting. Looks like good find to me!

Years ago made up 2 harnesses exactly like this for my Gen1 Headlight. 1 for high beam, one for low beam. One heavy wire back to the battery instead of 2. The high/low beam switch wires turn on the high or low beam relay as needed. Gained a good deal brightness and took the load of all that headlight power going through the hi/low beam switch off it. These will be useful kits around a KLR! Heated grips... phone charger and aux... pretty much universal.

Soon as it works for you we'll know what to buy for all our other needs on the bike.

Great Find! Thanks!

If you need me to go slower and explain more carefully I'd be happy to do so, just let me know. You got a winning project here. Happy to help, so are the others.
First off, THANKS so so much for this. Yes the lights work when hooking them straight to the battery. Also, I got rid of the lighted switch and replaced it with a non-lighted switch (only 2 wires vs. 3 on original - see link below). There is a smaller black wire in the switch harness which I know not to use as this was the wire that lit the switch - no longer needed. SO, what I'd like to do is skip the "ignition only" test and add in the switch, so the end result would be that the aux lights get power when the key is turned on, BUT I have the option to turn them off / on with the switch. Like a car with factory installed driving / fog lights. I just need to know the wiring routes from the switch onward....make sense? Oh and here is a link to the lights...I've used them in rain storms etc already and they seem to be holding up quite well.

lights:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and the switch: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-14-2017, 11:49 PM   #9
WiRider
Not one of the experts.

That answered my question! Schematic of your wiring kit now clear.

White wire from new relay kit goes to new handlebar switch, and the other wire from handlebar switch is changed to go to bike at any one of the following places...

The blue/white wire going to the left handswitch connector on harness side.
The brown wire to right handlebar brake light switch.
The brown/white unused wire near the headlight that is not connected to anything (city lights).
The brown/white wire going to instrument cluster and voltage reg/rect.
The brown wire to the horn.
(These all have +12v when ignition switch is on)

Now aux lights come on only when ignition switch is on and new handlebar switch cuts off the aux lights at any time.

Last edited by WiRider; 11-14-2017 at 11:55 PM.
WiRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:48 AM   #10
skiers

Quote:
That answered my question! Schematic of your wiring kit now clear.

White wire from new relay kit goes to new handlebar switch, and the other wire from handlebar switch is changed to go to bike at any one of the following places...

The blue/white wire going to the left handswitch connector on harness side.
The brown wire to right handlebar brake light switch.
The brown/white unused wire near the headlight that is not connected to anything (city lights).
The brown/white wire going to instrument cluster and voltage reg/rect.
The brown wire to the horn.
(These all have +12v when ignition switch is on)

Now aux lights come on only when ignition switch is on and new handlebar switch cuts off the aux lights at any time.
AWESOME. Thank you! I think im clear on this now. Super helpful and will report back. Hope to get this done soon!
Sponsored links

Tags
adding, aux, led, lights, question, relay