SiteLock
Valves Adjusted - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Second Generation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR650 Second Generation 2008-2017+ Related Topics

Old 08-07-2017, 02:59 PM   #1
KevinSKLR

Super Cool Since: Aug 2015
Locale: Lincoln, CA
Postings: 42
KevinSKLR is on a distinguished road
Default Valves Adjusted

Thanks to the awesome technical help offered on this forum and the maintenance manual I adjusted my valves over the weekend without a hitch. The only issue was a very hard to remove hose from a tube that comes out of the head and mounts to the valve cover. I assume itís CA only smog junk. All valves needed adjusting, but I lucked out and was able to swap shims from one exhaust to the other, and the other exhaust to an intake to get the desired clearance on those. Good Times Motorsports in Sacramento traded one shim for one I needed and sold me one, so I only had to actually buy one. Fourteen bucks and some of my time is all I have into the job. And I now know that the valves are all set to near-max clearance and I have the old values to compare to next time I check them (which Iíll do sooner than this time!). One exhaust was right at minimum, so Iím glad I did the check before it closed up even more.
KevinSKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:53 PM   #2
DanBarwick

Super Cool Since: Jun 2014
Locale: Independence, Kansas
Postings: 1,003
DanBarwick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Valves Adjusted

Nice feeling to know you're all set for a while!

2009 KLR, EM 685 kit, full Cogent treatment, goes anywhere
2005 Yamaha TW200, actually this is the one that REALLY goes anywhere
1999 BMW r1100rt, a true continent crusher
DanBarwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-08-2017, 06:55 AM   #3
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Phoenix, Az
Postings: 18,620
Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

Nice job! That hose you were referencing is AIS. Its not a Calif but on all Gen2 bikes. Calif also has the vapor recovery system. Neither system hurts nor helps performance. If you have decel popping then you know AIS is operating correctly. Its particularly noticeable with an aftermarket exhaust. In my experiences, once the KLR gets past 20K miles valve checks can be safely moved out to every 15K and most KLR's, as long as filter maint is done correctly, won't actually need a valve shim change till upwards of 60K miles. Still need to check though....
Old 08-08-2017, 04:14 PM   #4
KevinSKLR

Super Cool Since: Aug 2015
Locale: Lincoln, CA
Postings: 42
KevinSKLR is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that info Chuck. I have stock exhaust and it does pop on higher RPM deceleration or long down-hills. I have 9,400 miles on the bike. What inspection intervals do you suggest until I get past the 20K mark? (Sorry, I know youíve probably answered that a million times elsewhere.)
KevinSKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:00 PM   #5
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Phoenix, Az
Postings: 18,620
Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

I recommend folks follow Gen1 service intervals (6K miles) until you reach 18K. Then its ok to stretch out to Gen2 service intervals (15K miles). Nothing was changed with the Gen2 engine to justify the longer interval. I think Kawi marketing slipped that one past engineering to try and make their 30yr old engine design compare better to modern engines which often don't need first check till 24K miles. I've had too many Gen2's in my shop at 15-17K miles and had zero lash...

Last edited by Chuck B; 08-08-2017 at 09:01 PM.
Chuck B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:03 PM   #6
jchisholm

Super Cool Since: Apr 2012
Locale: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Postings: 145
jchisholm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck B View Post
Nice job! That hose you were referencing is AIS. Its not a Calif but on all Gen2 bikes. Calif also has the vapor recovery system. Neither system hurts nor helps performance. If you have decel popping then you know AIS is operating correctly. Its particularly noticeable with an aftermarket exhaust. In my experiences, once the KLR gets past 20K miles valve checks can be safely moved out to every 15K and most KLR's, as long as filter maint is done correctly, won't actually need a valve shim change till upwards of 60K miles. Still need to check though....
Adjusted mine at 6K, they were a little snug.
At 30K I finally got around to checking them again,
fully expecting the worst. They were absolutely spot on
at the mid-upper clearance end.
Very impressed, doubt I'll bother checking for another 20-30K.
Pelican 1500, Sargent Low seat, BarkBusters, Kisan ChargeGuard and some other stuff.
jchisholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
adjusted, valves