SiteLock
Best cheap non corrosive skid plate - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Second Generation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR650 Second Generation 2008-2017+ Related Topics

Old 11-14-2017, 02:54 PM   #1
Zz-
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2017
Locale: Somewhere!
Postings: 124
Zz- is on a distinguished road
Default Best cheap non corrosive skid plate

Im starting to get fed up with epoxying the OEM. Mount points keep cracking from love taps. Im slightly overtorque, but that's because I forgot to Keep Loctite Ready...

I don't need fancy. My bike looks like something out of mad max. Functional and cheap. The holidays are coming and I've only seemed to find decent ones well over 100.

(If it isn't around 100, forget about it I'll just make one)

Last edited by Zz-; 11-14-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Zz- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:09 PM   #2
JeffsDarkSide
Wait, what?

Super Cool Since: Apr 2012
Locale: LA / NGA
Postings: 1,769
JeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura aboutJeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura aboutJeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Best cheap non corrosive skid plate

I think they are all over $100 PLUS shipping! Stock plates can be found on E-bay for $5-$10 so you might be better off just buying surplus stockers!
Sponsored links
Old 11-14-2017, 03:22 PM   #3
DPelletier
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Aug 2010
Locale: Kelowna B.C.
Postings: 6,400
DPelletier will become famous soon enoughDPelletier will become famous soon enough

I'm not sure what "non corrosive" means as it relates to skidplates but you aren't going to find one much under $100.00;

https://www.happy-trail.com/skid-plate-klr650.html

stock is garbage and if you're riding offroad you have to ask yourself how much it's gonna cost for a new engine or engine case(s)....

Cheers,
Dave
twins; 2000 & 2001 KLR's: Cogent suspension, 320mm rotor+SV calipers, IMS tanks+ tankvest, Knight designs pegs, Anti-gravity batteries, Renthal bars, MT21 and D606 tires, FMF Q4 and LeoVince X3, ...and most everything that Eaglemike makes! :-)
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:53 PM   #4
JeffsDarkSide
Wait, what?

Super Cool Since: Apr 2012
Locale: LA / NGA
Postings: 1,769
JeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura aboutJeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura aboutJeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura about

I do love that HT skid plate and have them on both my KLR's..........they do bang you for shipping. $35 to Alabama.........$51 to B.C.!!

I guess that is the price you pay for a skid plate with a built in bottle opener!
Old 11-14-2017, 07:18 PM   #5
jeffsaline

Super Cool Since: Apr 2008
Locale: Rapid City, South Dakota
Postings: 9,344
jeffsaline is a jewel in the roughjeffsaline is a jewel in the roughjeffsaline is a jewel in the roughjeffsaline is a jewel in the rough

Buy a grain shovel and cut off the handle. Then drill holes as you like for mounting. You can get grain shovels in metal or plastic.

I think it is a stupid idea but it would probably meet your criteria.

Best,

Jeff

Do Not Steal, Do Not Lie, Do Not Be Lazy

"Just because something isn't true, no reason you can't believe it." Hub McCann in Secondhand Lions

"If you don't have a time table you can't be late. When you don't have a destination you can't get lost." Colin Stafford-Johnson, Ireland's Wild Coast
jeffsaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:46 PM   #6
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Phoenix, Az
Postings: 18,606
Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsaline View Post

I think it is a stupid idea but it would probably meet your criteria.

Best,

Jeff

JNS plate is one of the few that recess the rear mounts. With experience using other mount systems you'll know why that works so well...
Old 11-15-2017, 09:58 AM   #7
Thumperbob

Super Cool Since: Jun 2012
Locale: San Diego, California
Postings: 271
Thumperbob is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: Best cheap non corrosive skid plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck B View Post

JNS plate is one of the few that recess the rear mounts. With experience using other mount systems you'll know why that works so well...
+1
Thumperbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:09 AM   #8
verboten1
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Apr 2008
Locale: Monroe, MI
Postings: 1,255
verboten1 is on a distinguished road

I don't remember the company, but they make quite a few of the name brand skid plates.

I gave them a call (8 years ago) and asked if they had any seconds for sale, usually this means scratches, or you have to drill a new hole or something. Mine had a deep scratch. I know i got it at a great discount, and it's taken some good hits over the years.
'12 Super Tenere XT1200
'13 Versys 650 For the wife
James Bay Madness!!!
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:08 PM   #9
tomfoolery
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2008
Locale: Auburn, NORCAL
Postings: 63
tomfoolery is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck B View Post

+2 on the JNS.

I broke my stock one in Death Valley and had a good hit to the head of the drain plug. The JNS has taken a few good beatings over the years but holds up good and fits well. Be prepared for your bike to get a whole lot noisier though when adding an aluminum skid plate.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:28 PM   #10
Zz-
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2017
Locale: Somewhere!
Postings: 124
Zz- is on a distinguished road

Sorry about the "non corrosive" haha... Ammo-uedian slip. I meant non corroding. I've seen steel ones. (Not to say aluminum doesn't corrode - blah)

Lots and lots to look through. Used sounds like a good idea. I held off because I mostly am smacking sand but it's no excuse.

I'll have a refined search when I get home. Thanks all.

Last edited by Zz-; 11-15-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Zz- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-16-2017, 12:28 AM   #11
GoMotor
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Oct 2009
Locale: Texas
Postings: 7,276
GoMotor is just really niceGoMotor is just really niceGoMotor is just really niceGoMotor is just really niceGoMotor is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
I'm not sure what "non corrosive" means as it relates to skidplates but you aren't going to find one much under $100.00;

https://www.happy-trail.com/skid-plate-klr650.html

stock is garbage and if you're riding offroad you have to ask yourself how much it's gonna cost for a new engine or engine case(s)....Cheers, Dave
The Happy-trail plate is perfectly serviceable. I replace their stocket head button screws with longer stainless steel ones. Stainless for durability and longer for ease of plate removal without fully removing the screws.

There is no stock skid plate. Just a decorative plastic cover under the engine.
GoMotor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:39 AM   #12
roadapple
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Nov 2008
Locale: Chicago, IL
Postings: 775
roadapple is on a distinguished road

Cheap means what? $10 gets you a pretty good plastic cutting board from Walmart you can mold with some time and a heat gun -or- JNS, others have one that you can drag across logs and rocks. Engine cases aren't that cheap. Decide if all you are going to see is a errant piece of pea gravel at 10 mph on a sunny Sunday or something that will take the weight of the mighty KLR over your next adventure.
roadapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:38 PM   #13
xracer
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jan 2008
Locale: lake placid,florida
Postings: 1,655
xracer is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Best cheap non corrosive skid plate

Contact JNS. They sometimes have a returned one you can pick up cheap.
xracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
cheap, corrosive, plate, skid