SiteLock
How To: MC Mod - Page 3 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > Procedures & How To Articles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Procedures & How To Articles KLR650 Modifications, Procedures, Tech Info

Old 02-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #41
Raymond

Super Cool Since: Jul 2012
Locale: Wichita, KS
Postings: 120
Raymond is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How To: MC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobens View Post
The person whose bike is in the pictures says he didn't really feel a performance increase, but that the bike definitely seems to run smoother.
That's me!

I haven't had a chance to do the usual flint hills ride to test this out (familiar trails, familiar gearing, speed, etc) ... it being winter and all. What I have noticed, though, is that it runs smoother now and more quiet (though not as smooth nor quiet as your KLR ). Also, the starting is better and, you are right, the popping on decel was reduced to almost nil. I don't know if it's because of the cam mod, the adjusted valves or both.

I'll let you know come spring if the "grunt" is noticeable when we go through the "cattle pens" area. Either there or we need to bring our bikes to the "dunes" to really test out all our winter mods.

The big thing for me is that so far I have not seen any negatives with the cam mod. That is good by my book
Old 02-15-2013, 07:18 AM   #42
grinmachine

Super Cool Since: Jul 2009
Locale: guatemala, c.a.
Postings: 454
grinmachine is on a distinguished road

yes seems real nice ill do mine soon i guess!

do u have to adjust the mixture after u do it?
or after u open for more air?

this should work the same for a klx650 right?
less poping would be nice there!

thx!
suzuki dr800 '93
grinmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #43
newklr
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Aug 2008
Locale: Montreal
Postings: 50
newklr is on a distinguished road

I just did mine and the arrows still line up! So either it was off to start with or it didn't move.
Can someone confirm that there should be 46 link pins between the marks (https://klr650.marknet.us/chaintiming.html) before the mod and 47 after?

Is there another way to check without taking off the chain guide?
newklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #44
Noobens

Super Cool Since: May 2012
Postings: 271
Noobens is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by newklr View Post
I just did mine and the arrows still line up! So either it was off to start with or it didn't move.
Can someone confirm that there should be 46 link pins between the marks (https://klr650.marknet.us/chaintiming.html) before the mod and 47 after?

That's why I suggested taking note of where your arrows are BEFORE you begin. You will need to pull the chain guide to count the pin links accurately. It's likely that you set it back to where it started. It's easy enough to do. You are correct in assuming it should be 46 pin links, but if both cams are sitting flush with the head then you're still at stock timing. On the models where the lines don't exactly line up with the head, they are BOTH angled slightly off. So if both are flush with the head, you didn't change the timing.
2006 Green KLR Mods: Crash bars, highway pegs, centerstand, skid plate, rear master cylinder guard, center stand lift handle thingy, pullback risers, Acerbis handlebar guards, Progrips, Vibration isolating mirror mounts, license plate stash box, shark fin rear rotor guard, face shield windscreen, extended shift lever, SARGENT seat, grip heaters, EM doo w/ torsion spring, thermo-bob, foam hand guards, air horn, headlight guard, side racks, hour meter, more to come!
Noobens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #45
drtnsnw
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: May 2007
Locale: Sparks Nevada
Postings: 970
drtnsnw is on a distinguished road

This is very cool!! I have had a slight vibration ever since I did my last valve adjustment. I have a ton of parts coming next week and I am planning on taking the bike down for a bit when they get here. this is the perfect time for me to redo my valves and do this mod. I don't really want any more power (yeah right) but less vibrations would be awsome!!!

Chris
drtnsnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #46
crisis

Super Cool Since: Mar 2012
Locale: Culver City, Ca.
Postings: 204
crisis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by newklr View Post

I think saw a post on this thread or perhaps another giving a tip that would be helpful. When you put the gears level with the head and the T mark lines up, mark the cam gears and chain with corresponding marks. The chain and cam gears will have a tooth and link to indicate where your starting point is for reference. After you move the exhaust cam you should see the change in the position of the marks on the exhaust cam by one tooth. I use this on cars as a quick reference to ensure that the marks are where they were when I started.

Does this make sense? Have fun.
crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:07 PM   #47
neander
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Dec 2007
Locale: So Cal
Postings: 1,200
neander is on a distinguished road

The arrows on my '06 cam sprockets are rotated slightly counter clockwise (about half a tooth) when the crank is at TDC. I set it up with the (free) MC mod today and it really pulls well throughout the usable RPM range. I will keep it this way.
neander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:50 AM   #48
Noobens

Any way that we can get this moved to the How To section? (I know it's my own darn fault it ended up here in the first place )
2006 Green KLR Mods: Crash bars, highway pegs, centerstand, skid plate, rear master cylinder guard, center stand lift handle thingy, pullback risers, Acerbis handlebar guards, Progrips, Vibration isolating mirror mounts, license plate stash box, shark fin rear rotor guard, face shield windscreen, extended shift lever, SARGENT seat, grip heaters, EM doo w/ torsion spring, thermo-bob, foam hand guards, air horn, headlight guard, side racks, hour meter, more to come!
Old 02-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #49
Sebastian101
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Feb 2012
Locale: Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Postings: 31
Sebastian101 is on a distinguished road

Okay, so I did the mod to my 2011.
I also added a GPR exhaust and modified the mainjet for the new exhaust.

I can confirm everything that others also wrote before: less popping, more power 3k up, my 17T front sprocket feels more powerful than the 15T before.

But,... and this wasn't mentioned before. The sound at the motor has changed.
Since I never had a aftermarket pipe I can't tell if those change the sound on the header pipe side.
In the front of the motor I can hear really loud "explosion" like sound. First I thought my header pipe might have loosened while I switched the pipes. But no change.

I'm sure I did just rotate counter clockwise by on tooth and I didn't move the intake cam. Well it had a little play but this shouldn't result in big issues should it?

Does it make sense that now that the exhaust cam opens earlier that the there's higher pressure going into the exhaust and this might lead to a different/noisier sound?

Anybody else recognized something like that?
The motor was easy to turn by hand,... no noised coming from the inside.

Sebastian
Sebastian101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #50
Sebastian101
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Feb 2012
Locale: Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Postings: 31
Sebastian101 is on a distinguished road

Never mind! The AIS hose jumped off !

Okay, then let's rip the plastics off a second time

Sebastian
Sebastian101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #51
Raymond

Super Cool Since: Jul 2012
Postings: 120
Raymond is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian101 View Post

Never mind! The AIS hose jumped off !

Okay, then let's rip the plastics off a second time

Sebastian
Glad you got that solved, Sebastian!

Best,
Old 02-24-2013, 01:22 AM   #52
2wheeled
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Sep 2011
Locale: Woodstock, GA
Postings: 201
2wheeled is on a distinguished road

i finally got the bike back on the road after a major tear down that included the "mc mod".

wow, the bike is incredibly smoother... this is how the engine is SUPPOSED to run. feels great... i can't comment on any power increases but the bike runs awesome...
2wheeled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #53
drtnsnw
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: May 2007
Locale: Sparks Nevada
Postings: 970
drtnsnw is on a distinguished road

Did the MC when I checked my valves. I had one exhaust theat was pretty tight so I opened it up and did the MC at the same time. Seems like the low end lug is much better. better acceleration too. Bike is running great.

One thing I did notice is I seem to be having some noise from the lower chain case now. just a slight whirr. I can only hear it at idle. I adjusted the doo and it seemed to help a bit. Even smacked the case with a hammer to help it adjust.

Chris
drtnsnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #54
cmlrfp
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Mar 2013
Locale: us
Postings: 7
cmlrfp is on a distinguished road
Default 2008 klr 650 Carb HELP

2008 klr 650 Carb HELP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just put the DG r series pipe on and also did the 22 cent mod and drilled slide to 7/64ths. Drilled top of air box as well...... Runs great when warm....

When cold the bike doesnt want to start with the choke full on??? Should I try next size lerger main jet and provide more gas???
cmlrfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #55
S1.
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Aug 2011
Locale: Sedona, Arizona
Postings: 20
S1. is on a distinguished road

Doing the mod at this very moment. Waiting for the Mrs. to return with a new spark plug.
S1. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #56
cmlrfp
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Mar 2013
Locale: us
Postings: 7
cmlrfp is on a distinguished road

Are you putting the DG slip on exhaust?
cmlrfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #57
pdwestman
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Nov 2009
Locale: Lander,WY
Postings: 1,299
pdwestman is on a distinguished road

Ok, I got the chance to perform the MC Mod on a '09 KLR685.
Bike had peviously had -.010" KACR mod for better cold starting.
Current Cold Cranking Compression 127 PSI.
LH exhaust was <.006"--change to <.010". RH exhaust was <.008--change to .010"
Intakes were---->.007"--------------------------------------------.008"

After valve adjust and MC Mod, Cold Crank Compression NOW 152 PSI.

Most of which I beleive was gained by MC Mod.
Does not quite prove my theory because IT needed valve adjust.

BUT, you all need to understand, KACR timing or closing degrees affects starting compression, for the BETTER.
LOBE timing is WHAT makes it RUN BETTER! Which is what EM and MC are primarily after.
pdwestman
pdwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #58
damonster
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2010
Locale: Omaha, NE
Postings: 62
damonster is on a distinguished road

Does anyone have any real world miles on how this mod will effect the longevity of the engine? I am very interested in this mod for my '09, and was just curious.

Thanks,
Damon
SW Motech Crash Bars, Ricochet Skid Plate, EM KLX needle/Pilot/Slide, Low Buck Exhaust, Snorkel-ectomy, IMS Pegs, MSR Carbon Steel ATV High, 14T, KLRDash w/ Zero Gravity ST, EM Doohickey w/ Torsion Spring, Thermo-bob & Overlay, and not done....
damonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #59
wilokrl
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jan 2011
Locale: Colombia
Postings: 41
wilokrl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonster View Post
Does anyone have any real world miles on how this mod will effect the longevity of the engine? I am very interested in this mod for my '09, and was just curious.
Same question here.
wilokrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #60
Noobens

I've been through about 2 tanks of gas. It hasn't blown up yet. Seriously guys, it's only one tooth of advancement. How you maintain your bike will have a much larger impact on longevity than this mod.

Last edited by Noobens; 03-22-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Sponsored links

Tags
mod