SiteLock
Ethanol - Page 2 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Maintenance, Modifications & Technical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR650 Maintenance, Modifications & Technical Wrenching and mods - KLR650 Technical discussion only!

Old 04-07-2017, 08:55 PM   #21
Rangerman

Super Cool Since: Nov 2011
Locale: USA
Postings: 450
Rangerman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ethanol

I am not usually one to subscribe to the use of snake oils but...
I have been using sta-bil ethanol treatment and figure for the nominal cost it is worth it if it works.
So far I have not had any problems with storage although I do drain the carb bowls on all my bikes when stored for extended periods of time.

p.s. Gomotor did you receive your tools yet?

Rangerman

(past rides, 1982 Honda XL250R/1980 Yamaha IT125/1972 Penton 125 Six Day/1973 Yamaha GT80/1972 Yamaha JT60)
=============================== Rangerman
"We go way back, you and me." CLW87
Rangerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:59 PM   #22
"Mitch"

Super Cool Since: Aug 2014
Locale: Iowa
Postings: 3,145
"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoMotor View Post
Yes I made it up to both Dead Horse in Alaska and Inuvic in Northwest Territories. I did bend all the teeth over on the rear sprocket on the way back down from Inuvic, but no ethanol problems.

I was ridding with an American and an Irishman I had met. The The American was very concerned the sprocket was going to make trouble for us (him) and asked "What are we going to do now?" I told him I was going to put my spare sprocket on. He looked at the Irishman and asked if he carried a spare sprocket. Patrick said "Yes, don't you?" It is a good idea to have new or spare consumables when ridding that far from a Kawasaki shop.

The six gallon tank on the KLR is good for the 240 mile sections on both the Dalton and the Dempster. I hit reserve one mile from the Coldfoot station coming down from Prudhoe Bay - 48 mpg. DRs and GSs need a lawn mower can.

They may have the all season road up to Tuktoyaktuk finished by the time you get there. No more ice road.

I am thinking of ridding with a friend up to Dead Horse and then down to Tierra del Fuego starting in mid August. Mosquitoes are too bad earlier. Might see you.
Those are some incredible journeys, but nothing compared to what you're planning. You are hard core! I am still working, and working way too much. But I hope to find time to break away and get up to AK and the NWT. I have considered the run to Dead Horse but I have heard some natives say other than it being a bucket list item, it's not that special....Lots of trucks and not all that scenic. Would you agree? However, I have heard many say the run up the Dempster is well worth it, along with the Top of The World Hwy.....It's definitely something I want to do before I am too old or crippled up to do it.
"Mitch" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:55 PM   #23
GoMotor
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Oct 2009
Locale: Texas
Postings: 7,294
GoMotor is just really niceGoMotor is just really niceGoMotor is just really niceGoMotor is just really niceGoMotor is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Mitch" View Post
Those are some incredible journeys, but nothing compared to what you're planning. You are hard core! I am still working, and working way too much. But I hope to find time to break away and get up to AK and the NWT. I have considered the run to Dead Horse but I have heard some natives say other than it being a bucket list item, it's not that special....Lots of trucks and not all that scenic. Would you agree? However, I have heard many say the run up the Dempster is well worth it, along with the Top of The World Hwy.....It's definitely something I want to do before I am too old or crippled up to do it.
First to answer Rangerman above: Yes, got the loaned doo tools back today and posted that on your doo thread.

I may not have good sense. I rode 400 miles across the Oklahoma prairie three times on the TAT, so why wouldn't I ride the tundra north of Atigun Pass up to Dead Horse? It's only about 175 miles, but you are right, you wouldn't do it for the scenery. It is interesting to see all the heavy machinery on big tundra tires. Some just ride up to the nice Arctic Circle marker sign for a photo and head back. Others ride to the Coldfoot fuel stop or up to the top of Atigun Pass before turning back. I recommend you start up the Dalton and then do what feels good.

The trucks didn't seem to cause me much trouble and it is the same trucks from the first foot of the road to the last food. They only have one place to go to and come from and that is the end of the road. It was fun to see a huge 20 feet wide piece of oil field machinery coming up the road with five helper truck tractors each hauling a 20 ton block of concrete for traction where the fifth wheel goes. When the main rig hit a hill, all five would line up behind one another behind the lowboy, put it in low and hit the throttle all the way up the hill. Then on the downhill side some of them would run up in front of the main rig, drop it in low and ride the breaks all the way down.

You are right the Dempster to Inuvic is more scenic, but the northern end is still tundra.

I also hear the Top of the World Highway is a good ride, but I missed it both times I was there. Once because my Goldwing didn't like dirt roads in the rain and once on my KLR when the road was cut by a flooding river.

A couple of comments for you.

On the Dalton when the road was wet from rain, I stopped to help several KTMs with their radiators clogged by the calcium chloride slurry they put on the dirt for dust control. The KLR had no problem with this. Still, you might want to take some extra water to flush with. I didn't notice this on the Dempster, but it was much dustier.

Both roads are very wide and built up about eight feet above the permafrost. Do not try to ride over on the edge. The trucks haven't packed it down and you will sink in and lose control.

240 miles is the longest run between fuel stops on both roads and my KLR just made that before hitting reserve (48 mpg), so you don't have to haul a lawn mower gas jug with you.

Last edited by GoMotor; 04-07-2017 at 10:56 PM.
GoMotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:07 PM   #24
"Mitch"

Super Cool Since: Aug 2014
Locale: Iowa
Postings: 3,145
"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice

Thanks GoMotor. That is great info. It stirs my soul all the more. 👍

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
"Mitch" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:24 PM   #25
roadapple
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Nov 2008
Locale: Chicago, IL
Postings: 780
roadapple is on a distinguished road

Ethanol+Gas=Fuel is now a maintenance item

Use it in 30 days or lose it.
roadapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:01 PM   #26
sanibel

Super Cool Since: Jun 2016
Locale: Sanibel FL
Postings: 331
sanibel is on a distinguished road

Top of the world was great, nice and newly paved when I was up there. Good bit of gravel to get to the pavement, but the pavement was good. Ferry into Dawson City was a treat. Figured the river would be calm as it was July, but it was ripping. Figured Dawson City was a big place, heard about since I was a kid, but only the main road is paved, easy walk from one end to other. Thompson's Eagle Claw motorcycle campground in Tok gets a recommendation. They have a shop, good spot for oil change, etc.

2000 KLR650, beater wanting to become ADV bike. John Deere livery
2010 Goldwing Airbag tourer, of course it is yellow!
sanibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:22 AM   #27
KLdrumR
Dig it

Super Cool Since: Apr 2007
Locale: Merrimack Valley MA
Postings: 7,705
KLdrumR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by donA View Post
I DIDN'T HAVE ANY CORN !!!!!
this coffee smells like sh*t!
Old 04-17-2017, 11:39 AM   #28
ghotioutofh2o
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Apr 2008
Locale: 710,582.88 KLRs 15 deg TN Spnbt'
Postings: 1,361
ghotioutofh2o is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I find the ethanol question interesting. I generally use nothing but 10% ethanol in my 2008 and 2011 KLRs and my Chevy truck. My experience has been that as long as I ride the KLRs several times a week, I have no problems. The truck sits until it rains and I really need to get some place - usually two or three weeks.

The only time I had ethanol problems was when I let the 2008 sit about 10 weeks with out draining the float bowl. I don't do that any more. I had to clean the carb that time.

So, am I wrong? If you ride them often is ethanol no problem for others also?
It's a problem for me if I run ethanol in my KLR. I notice a huge difference between E10 and real dinojuice. I get quite a bit of throttle hesitation with ethanol. I pay the extra 15 cents a gallon for ethanol free gas.
ghotioutofh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:02 AM   #29
KORKE
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Feb 2013
Locale: Buenos Aires - Argentina
Postings: 233
KORKE is on a distinguished road
Default ultrasonic device size? KLR carburator

1st. sorry if it's not the good thread for my Q. !

2nd. To clean the carburetor ... wich ultrasonic device size will have enough room for the job?
this one ? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=AJS4HSWW4RR2L
other one ?

Tks. Jorge B.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:53 AM   #30
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Oct 2016
Locale: Bisbee, AZ
Postings: 26
227708 is on a distinguished road

The 5L capacity tank is big enough for an ultrasonic cleaner used for cycle parts. I have a 3L that has been sufficient for most jobs. The big cavaet is to be certain--such as in reading all the product information--that the solvent you employ is safe for brass, aluminum and other alloys. I've used Safety Clean, it's a Texas Refinery product that is non-corrosive to most metals. It's available in jugs and spray.
Simple Green has some new configurations but I hesitate using their stuff. The original Simple Green was not safe on aluminum.
Note: much of the problem with some of these chemicals is not being able to fully remove traces of the stuff after the item has been sprayed or soaked. A chemical that's "safe" for a few minutes may destroy a part or a finish if it remains in place. Army mechanics employed some kind of nasty smelling stuff that was used on O-1 and U-6 military aircraft engines back in the 60's. One of the kids left an O-1 carburetor in a tank of this overnight and literally disolved some of the metal. That's a bummer, especially if you're the one paying for the mistakes.
Of course you're going to disassemble the carb before putting any of the parts in a cleaning tank. A suggestion: keep a notepad beside you and list each step of the disassembly in the order you do them. Note any cautionary information. If you don't, if you have drain bamage like I do, you'll forget. Tag any cables or lines you remove so you'll know where they go. (This applies to every job...) Be very careful removing the rubber membrane in the top of the CV40 carb. Tear it, buy a new one. Don't place this in solvent. And, if you need parts, remember that Hardley-Ableson also used the CV-40 carb and parts are readily available.
227708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:13 PM   #31
clogan

Super Cool Since: Dec 2010
Locale: Ooltewah, Tennessee
Postings: 767
clogan is a jewel in the roughclogan is a jewel in the roughclogan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghotioutofh2o View Post
It's a problem for me if I run ethanol in my KLR. I notice a huge difference between E10 and real dinojuice. I get quite a bit of throttle hesitation with ethanol. I pay the extra 15 cents a gallon for ethanol free gas.
100% gas keeps getting more and more pricey. Noticed yesterday at a local station that pure gas was 40 cents/gallon more than E-10: $2.49 vs. $2.09. Rediculous.
2016 KTM Superduke GT
clogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:46 PM   #32
klr_rider1

Super Cool Since: Oct 2008
Locale: Australia
Postings: 470
klr_rider1 is on a distinguished road

Kawasaki Australia recommends against E10 in KLR650s.

In Australia, we can choose between plain petrol, E10 and E85.

Occasionally, I use E10. My 10 year old KLR650 2G has shown no ill effects.

If the bike is not used for > 4 weeks, it is very cranky. It is difficult to start, stalls and does not rev. After 100 km on the highway, it's sweet nature returns.
klr_rider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:12 AM   #33
KORKE
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 227708 View Post
The 5L capacity tank is big enough for an ultrasonic cleaner used for cycle parts. I have a 3L that has been sufficient for most jobs ..... And, if you need parts, remember that Hardley-Ableson also used the CV-40 carb and parts are readily available
Many tks ! JorgeB.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:18 PM   #34
KORKE
A Regular

Default Re: ultrasonic device size? KLR carburator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORKE View Post
1st. sorry if it's not the good thread for my Q. !

2nd. To clean the carburetor ... wich ultrasonic device size will have enough room for the job?
this one ? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=AJS4HSWW4RR2L
other one ?

Tks. Jorge B.
Shortly before completing my recent trip to the USA choose to buy the ultrasound device that would occupy the smallest place and weight in my luggage back. With doubts, I clicked on a 2-liter washer. The carburetor has just entered and the cleaning test turned out well. Greetings.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:12 AM   #35
Jerry Atrick

Super Cool Since: Oct 2007
Locale: Georgia
Postings: 845
Jerry Atrick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yes I made it up to both Dead Horse in Alaska and Inuvic in Northwest Territories.

I am thinking of riding with a friend up to Dead Horse and then down to Tierra del Fuego starting in mid August. Mosquitoes are too bad earlier. Might see you.
Perhaps the reason GoMotor has fewer ethanol problems than some of the rest of us is that he clearly does not allow fuel to sit idle in his float bowl.
Jerry Atrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:28 AM   #36
KLdrumR
Dig it

Super Cool Since: Apr 2007
Locale: Merrimack Valley MA
Postings: 7,705
KLdrumR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Atrick View Post
Perhaps the reason GoMotor has fewer ethanol problems than some of the rest of us is that he clearly does not allow fuel to sit idle in his float bowl.
Bang!

Old 06-19-2017, 11:46 AM   #37
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Oct 2016
Locale: Bisbee, AZ
Postings: 26
227708 is on a distinguished road

Found a site with excellent information on the effects of ethanol in fuel: https://www.fuel-testers.com/list_e1...ne_damage.html
Problems are manifested in a variety of manners, most of which could make the carbed KLR choke...er...stumble. Running the little beast frequently is the best solution. My '09 had slightly over 7K miles on the odo when I purchased it last year. Averages out at about 1K miles per year. Not good.
I saw this problem frequently during my flying career. General aviation aircraft flown primarily under Part 91 of the rule book require an annual inspection every twelve months. It's not at all uncommon to annual planes that didn't even log 40 hours a year. Engines--commonly with a suggested overhaul at 2000 hour intervals--often receive new cylinders and pistons at 400 hours or less. Wear? Nah...rust.
Moral to this story: take the bike out frequently. Even if it's just a putt around town, that's better than nothing. I make that comment acknowledging that my '93 Ducati is a hangar queen. It has less than 20K miles on the clock. I need to ride it more often. More riding...less writing. Yeah!

Last edited by 227708; 06-19-2017 at 12:05 PM.
227708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:38 PM   #38
ghotioutofh2o
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Apr 2008
Locale: 710,582.88 KLRs 15 deg TN Spnbt'
Postings: 1,361
ghotioutofh2o is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 227708 View Post
Found a site with excellent information on the effects of ethanol in fuel: https://www.fuel-testers.com/list_e1...ne_damage.html
Problems are manifested in a variety of manners, most of which could make the carbed KLR choke...er...stumble. Running the little beast frequently is the best solution. My '09 had slightly over 7K miles on the odo when I purchased it last year. Averages out at about 1K miles per year. Not good.
I saw this problem frequently during my flying career. General aviation aircraft flown primarily under Part 91 of the rule book require an annual inspection every twelve months. It's not at all uncommon to annual planes that didn't even log 40 hours a year. Engines--commonly with a suggested overhaul at 2000 hour intervals--often receive new cylinders and pistons at 400 hours or less. Wear? Nah...rust.
Moral to this story: take the bike out frequently. Even if it's just a putt around town, that's better than nothing. I make that comment acknowledging that my '93 Ducati is a hangar queen. It has less than 20K miles on the clock. I need to ride it more often. More riding...less writing. Yeah!
If you can't ride it frequently, it's better to let it sit than to start it up "just to make sure it runs." If you start it, get it up to operating temperature to help purge the water vapor from combustion.
ghotioutofh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:49 PM   #39
Irons
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2009
Locale: Manistee National Forest
Postings: 129
Irons is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerman View Post
I am not usually one to subscribe to the use of snake oils but...
I have been using sta-bil ethanol treatment and figure for the nominal cost it is worth it if it works.
So far I have not had any problems with storage although I do drain the carb bowls on all my bikes when stored for extended periods of time.

p.s. Gomotor did you receive your tools yet?

Rangerman
That 360 Stabil is the best voodoo I have ever used for fuel. If your engine is already running rough a rich mixture of 360 and premium gas run through the carb and sitting overnight will cure it 9 times out of 10.

All my jug gas sitting around the pole barn for mowers, chainsaws etc is now 360 treated premium. I put an ounce of 360 in my KLR tank when I fill it up.

My wife's XT 250 is really picky on fuel and the 360 has it running better than it ever has.

Folks, this stuff is really that good. Get some!
#22 Blue KLR Club
" Cockroaches, coyotes and KLR 650's will be the last things on Earth."
Irons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ethanol