SiteLock
Lightweight, 48L+, quicklock top box? - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Off The Beaten Path > Gear & Equipment Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Gear & Equipment Discussion Gear for you and your ride

Old 12-26-2017, 11:52 AM   #1
brendan87na

Super Cool Since: Sep 2014
Locale: Seattle
Postings: 93
brendan87na is on a distinguished road
Default Lightweight, 48L+, quicklock top box?

Am I looking for a unicorn?

My last trip was very successful with a soft bag draped over my tail, but I want to go on more hikes on my next trip, so I'd like a lockable trunk. Most of the options I see are aluminum monstrosities that weigh a ton. I'm looking for something like the Mule side bags, that bomb proof poly, that locks up and can be taken off without too much fuss. It's a bloody KLR as well, it doesn't need to look pretty.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...r-trekker-case

This caught my eye but mounting options?

Any thoughts gentlemen?

Thanks!
brendan87na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:25 PM   #2
Merritt64

Super Cool Since: Aug 2013
Locale: Calgary
Postings: 322
Merritt64 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lightweight, 48L+, quicklock top box?

This should answer your questions.

https://www.klr650.net/forums/showth...light=top+case
Merritt64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-26-2017, 03:52 PM   #3
brendan87na

Hah, quite the opposite, now I need a more robust rear rack as well.... the pickings for gen 1 seem slim.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:38 PM   #4
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jan 2012
Locale: Oregon Coast
Postings: 507
Robert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to all

Well... since you don't CARE what it looks like....

Action Packer by rubbermaid.

Comes in 8gal, almost like it was meant for a KLR rear rack.

I was setting up for a week long 2up with a teen on the back. I wanted something that she could lean against (hence the over-engineering in the 2nd pic) and we could lock our riding gear up in. The helmets (x2) I locked using bicycle cable to the padlocks on either side. A week in LA and San Diego and for many months afterwards in the Arizona sun as a commuter trunk. Still in excellent shape. I still have it.

Below is the over-engineering. Some fender washers and a couple of smaller j bolts is all I used later on, and they worked well.

A shot from the rear. I added a couple of those snap bracelets from the dollar store to aid in night time visibility. Drilled an pop riveted.

With the right size J bolts, it doesn't take but a minute to ratchet the nut (use nylocs) off both sides, then take the box with you.
Blue KLR club member #243 Post a pic of your bike here, then pm me for membership. https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...light=blue+klr

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Robert Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:23 PM   #5
brendan87na

Did you use the stock rack to secure it?
Old 12-26-2017, 10:34 PM   #6
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Robert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to all

Yes. You use the j bolts through the grab rails. They're beefy enough to hold up. As long as you don't put bricks in the top... which you shouldn't be doing anyways...

Rear rack is rated at 25lbs. It can do more than that, but think about vibrations, weight, and the way the rack is put together. You can increase the carrying capacity of the rear rack by doing a drill through, and welding some gussets, but it's still not designed to carry an elephant.

J bolts and the action packer don't require modification of the rear rack. I used the triangle bolt config and drilled through the rear deck to support the weight of a teenager and a box full of crap for a highway trip.

2 bolts, one on each side, with fender washers, is enough. All real weight should be down low offroad anyways.
Blue KLR club member #243 Post a pic of your bike here, then pm me for membership. https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...light=blue+klr

Old 12-26-2017, 10:36 PM   #7
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

That's just one example. You can walk down the aisle of an Ace hardware and see different shaped bolts. Eye bolts, L bolts, J bolts, it's not difficult to figure out a way to secure your "trunk" once you find one.

Heck you could use an ice chest if you wanted to.

Creative solutions and KLR go hand in hand...

Why else do you think the milk crate is a stereotyped rear feature on a KLR?

You could also use plastic cutting boards and some imagination to fab up a "quick release" system for the trunk.

Again, it depends on what the shape of the box you want to use is. For that matter, you could use aluminum angles, rivets, and cutting boards to make your own trunk in no time.

Last edited by Robert Z; 12-26-2017 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:59 PM   #8
brendan87na

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Z View Post
Creative solutions and KLR go hand in hand...
You should see some of the hack job stuff on my bike already...

My biggest concern is weight up high - how much does that action packer weigh? The givi stuff looks crazy heavy to start with...
Old 12-27-2017, 04:53 PM   #9
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

ActionPacker® Storage Box - 8 gal : (#1170)
Size: 19.9"L x 14.1"W x 12.1"H

Not much. A whole lot less than that Givi... I don't have the exact number, but it is negligible to lift with one hand.

I don't have the box with me (it's across town in a garage) nor do I have a scale to weigh it with... but it's just plastic. Ruggedly made plastic, but plastic. Single walled body with a dual walled hollow lid.

Not really more than a decent sized tub container from walmart.

I looked at it like this... if I wasn't happy with it, I could still use it for camping storage.

Don't be ashamed of hack jobs... my panniers are legendary.

Old 12-27-2017, 05:09 PM   #10
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Before you go ordering something... I think you need some sense of scale...

That 52L case you were looking at first comes out to about 12.6g of space (give or take) while the Actionpacker is 8g. You can see how the actionpacker fits on the KLR rear deck. That 52L case is going to be bigger by half. It will be designed differently, but it will still be larger.

I just thought of an alternative way to secure the action packer to a Gen 1 or 2 without drilling into the deck.

Eyebolts fastened at the ends, near the corners, about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up x 4. Fender washers on both sides, nylocs and waterproof caulking on both sides of the plastic.

Then you take thin ratchet straps and go from eyebolt, around grab rail, back to eyebolt. Ratchet tight. Do the same around the back edge of the rack for the rear of the box. Ratchet tight. Not too tight.

You can also attach a bicycle cable lock through the grab rails, and up to the eyebolts, or to the padlocks themselves. There's ways to make cable any length you want with the eyes at either end. This could serve as a backup to the straps as well... make it to fit with only a little slack, coat in tool dip, and you're golden. Eyes of cable go to the eyebolts, padlock goes through all three, hook strap through eyebolt, snug it down. On the road.

You could also put smaller eyebolts on the side of the box, and use cam straps to attach your bags (sleeping bags, mats, tent, etc) to the front of the box (behind you) and you've got a back rest now as well.

You've now got a (relatively) quick release trunk, you can get into it without unstrapping it, and it is (relatively) secure. Plus you have the ability to lock it to a picnic table at the camp site.

I'm not trying to sell you an action packer. Get what you feel fits your needs, I've got no dog in this... I just enjoy thinking outside the box, and would personally not hesitate to mount an actionpacker again... and just might at a later date.

Sponsored links
Old 12-27-2017, 09:43 PM   #11
C5dad

Super Cool Since: Aug 2015
Locale: Arizona
Postings: 302
C5dad is on a distinguished road

And no one thought of using two extra sized milk crates? Geeze, what kind of KLR owners are ya?

Corbin Seat w upgraded seat pad, EM Fork Brace w/ Acerbis fender, Cogent Moab and front springs, USB and 12 v accessory outlet; Cee Bailey windsheld; MC Mod; deCalifornicated; upcoming 685 kit.
C5dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:15 AM   #12
brendan87na

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Z View Post
Plus you have the ability to lock it to a picnic table at the camp site.

You just answered a question I have been forgetting to ask for about a year, thanks.

I already order the action packer: as you said, even if it doesn't work I can always use it for something else. Eyebolts on the side of it would be prone to tearing out on rougher terrain, imo. As you intimated, I'll have to get creative.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:44 AM   #13
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

If you're tearing out the eyebolts, then the action packer is the LEAST of your worries... you'll want to go back and pick up your bags, and racks... and quite probably your leg...

Once you get it in place, you'll see what I mean.

Enjoy!

Old 01-05-2018, 10:39 AM   #14
Yoggie
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Mar 2017
Locale: St Louis
Postings: 2
Yoggie is on a distinguished road

I have been using a Plano 56 Quart storage box for the last 8 months. It survived 2 days of dirt roads full of camping gear without any issues. I wouldn't put heavy loads in it, but for bulky loads it is great. The only complaint I have is that it inst a quick opening solution, you have to put locks on both sides. It slows me down like 10 seconds opening it so really not much of a complaint!

Cost was $24.99 shipped with Prime Shipping. Comes in OD green or flat black for a little bit more.

Plano 1619-00 56 Quart Tote Tub
Yoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:42 AM   #15
akrider12

Super Cool Since: Feb 2010
Locale: Alaska
Postings: 201
akrider12 is on a distinguished road

Got a Bestem T-Box TBOX-929 installed seven years ago and still going strong. Cheap, lockable, removable and comes with all the installation hardware.
akrider12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
48l, box, lightweight, quicklock, top