SiteLock
Wooly Mammoth (not a dinosaur!) - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 First Generation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR650 First Generation 1987-2007 Related Topics

Old 01-10-2018, 07:12 PM   #1
Danielsand
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jan 2018
Locale: In the West
Postings: 20
Danielsand is on a distinguished road
Default Wooly Mammoth (not a dinosaur!)

Joke post about :dinosaur: Gen1 KLR (by Mitch), prompted me to post here. I just joined BTW. Site was recommended to me by the members on "that other site",.......anyway, long story short.......

Dinosaurs are extinct. However,......from time to time "frozen under the ice" wooly mammoths come up in all kind of movies, shows etc (e.g. "Fortitude"), and one such KLR came to me, back in the late October. I received it as a birthday gift from a long time friend.

He purchased the bike new (in 2002) as 2003 model. He was 70 years old at the time. After clocking 1287 miles on it, he dropped it in his gravel driveway, while dismounting. He never touched the bike afterwards. Parked it in the barn, covered it with tarp, and it was sitting like that from December 2002, until October 2017. "Frozen in time". Gas was treated (and the carb run dry), bike had dead battery (surprise!), dryrotted tires, rusty chain, bashed in radiator, and damaged radiator shroud (left side). The rest of the bike is "as new".

I decided to "preserve it" in the original condition, without any "mods" (except the doo!), and use it on my ranch, with occasional dash to the nearest town (15 miles away). I am in a BAD need of green (A17) LH radiator shroud with decal (see my WTB add in classifieds). Help would be appreciated to restore this gem to its original beauty.

I've been riding since cca. 1967, I crisscrossed USA, Europe, and Middle East in my time (I also raced Superbikes for a while). KLR is currently in my den (next to my BMW), and I plan to have it "restored" by April, at which time it will be put to "light ranch duty".

This looks like a pretty active forum, so I'll stick around. Thanks for reading. Oh,.....BTW......don't waste your time looking for the shroud on the web to help me. It's not available,.......anywhere, I even talked to the people in Japan. Unless someone out there has one in the garage from the bike that is long gone,.....I will not find it. I can peel the right side decal to match, but in that case the bike will not be original. I will try some graphics shops in the big town (3.5 hours away) when I go there next time, and see if they can replicate OEM decal (I doubt it).

Thanks again.
Danielsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:27 AM   #2
DPelletier
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Aug 2010
Locale: Kelowna B.C.
Postings: 6,594
DPelletier will become famous soon enoughDPelletier will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Wooly Mammoth (not a dinosaur!)

Welcome,

I saw you post on the "other" site too. I also bought a very low mileage Gen1, though I ended up modifying rather than restoring it.....but I certainly appreciate keeping her stock.

You can see some pics of mine in this thread: https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=126092

Regarding the shroud; don't give up: I would keep checking Ebay and other sites and you may eventually find one in decent shape with the right graphic intact.

Dave
twins; 2000 & 2001 KLR's: Cogent suspension, 320mm rotor+SV calipers, IMS tanks+ tankvest, Knight designs pegs, Anti-gravity batteries, Renthal bars, MT21 and D606 tires, FMF Q4 and LeoVince X3, ...and most everything that Eaglemike makes! :-)
DPelletier is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-11-2018, 01:09 PM   #3
sanders446
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2017
Locale: Massachusetts
Postings: 39
sanders446 is on a distinguished road

Welcome!

I posted over at the reddit forum for you, if I hear anything I'll let you know. Also, your best bet would be to post in the KLR forum over at adventure rider. Register over there, go to the "thumpers" subforum, and find the "KLR Only Thread".

I really want you to get this shroud
sanders446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:36 AM   #4
Danielsand
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanders446 View Post
Welcome!

I posted over at the reddit forum for you, if I hear anything I'll let you know. Also, your best bet would be to post in the KLR forum over at adventure rider. Register over there, go to the "thumpers" subforum, and find the "KLR Only Thread".

I really want you to get this shroud
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
Welcome,

I saw you post on the "other" site too. I also bought a very low mileage Gen1, though I ended up modifying rather than restoring it.....but I certainly appreciate keeping her stock.

You can see some pics of mine in this thread: https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=126092

Regarding the shroud; don't give up: I would keep checking Ebay and other sites and you may eventually find one in decent shape with the right graphic intact.

Dave
Thank you Gentlemen. I am checking all the "usual suspects" daily. I recognize your screen name Dave. My name is Daniel, and I like to play in the sand(box).

When I was a much younger lad (70s), I was all into "mods" (we didn't call them that back then!). I was cutting, welding, painting, replacing stock with "aftermarket" stuff (that word didn't exist either). I lived in Europe on and off for 31 years (different locations), The best "aftermarket" stuff (headlights, brackets, handlebars, silencers, etc.) was available in Italy. We modified (me and my riding buddies, one of which became my lifelong friend, and the Best Man at my wedding, living in what's today Croatia) EXTENSIVELY!

As I got older, I started to think about the passage of time (history/future, and everything in between). Actively participating in three wars, does that to some people, I guess. Anyway,.......I started to lean toward "preservation", rather than "modification". Today,.....my heart skips a beat when I see original (not modified in any way) Honda CB750, Honda CBX, Honda CX 500 Turbo, Kawasaki Z1000, Norton 750 Commando.........some of the bikes I owned in the past, and wish I would still have.

When this KLR was given to me, I looked at all options for "tuning" (another "new age" word!), and "improvements". However,.....KLR is my bike #29 that I owned (and I rode MANY more). All over the world. With that experience I realized quickly what KLR really is (no offence to anyone) even without riding it. I never rode one to this day, but I am looking forward to it! Bike is OLD technology, with MANY shortcomings (weight, suspension, just to name these two). I like it's "retro" (new word again!) looks. It's new. Unmolested. It will be put to light ranch duty (I own a horse ranch), and as such it will not "lack power" at all. I am doing two "mods" only. Doo, and front sprocket. One is necessity, and one is personal need. My land is VERY hilly (in spots), and I need this thing to be able to climb ANYTHING if necessary. It will be ridden to town maybe once a month (30 mile RT). That's all. No "two up", no "gear" (aside from my rifle), no travel, no freeway speeds. I am 6'3"/185lb......the bike will see only "light duty", I'll never drop it (I cut my teeth off road on KTM 640 LC4 in AZ), and I want it to look, sound, and behave like KHI envisioned it back in 2003. I am weird that way,......I like history, and out of all handguns I can carry (and I own MANY!), I carry my 1918 P08 Luger most of the time (It's a 100 years old handgun!).

That's my story, and my reasoning behind this "restoration". I guess since I got buried in snow last night, I didn't have anything better to do, but to write a novel here! Sorry.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:48 AM   #5
Danielsand
A Regular

Dave,......I was just reading your post about 2000 KLR with 600 miles on the clock. Do you still have it? Mine looks just like that (except the graphics of course). Like you said in that post "holly grail", or as I see it as "buried treasure", or artifact from the past, buried in some kind of time capsule.

I don't think finds like these should be "cut up and modified" in any way.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:21 PM   #6
DPelletier
LEVEL 3 STAFF

DPelletier will become famous soon enoughDPelletier will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielsand View Post
Dave,......I was just reading your post about 2000 KLR with 600 miles on the clock. Do you still have it? Mine looks just like that (except the graphics of course). Like you said in that post "holly grail", or as I see it as "buried treasure", or artifact from the past, buried in some kind of time capsule.

I don't think finds like these should be "cut up and modified" in any way.
Yes I still have the bike though I've modified it as outlined in that thread. I fully understand the desire for mint, stock stuff; I spent 11 years restoring my last classic car.....much of it "undoing" modified work that others had done to it.

The good news is that the mods on this bike have all been "bolt on" in nature and I've kept all the mint stock parts in my shop; a weekend and I could have it looking exactly like it did the day I bought it and I don't need to worry about dropping it and wrecking the tank/shrouds, exhaust, etc.

Dave
twins; 2000 & 2001 KLR's: Cogent suspension, 320mm rotor+SV calipers, IMS tanks+ tankvest, Knight designs pegs, Anti-gravity batteries, Renthal bars, MT21 and D606 tires, FMF Q4 and LeoVince X3, ...and most everything that Eaglemike makes! :-)
Old 01-12-2018, 12:38 PM   #7
Danielsand
A Regular

I like what you did with that bike. If I would be taking it off road in the wilderness, I'd probably do it too.

I've found IMS tank in green, and I had to talk myself out of buying that (I still might if I can't find the decal). But plain green also doesn't fit with me. I'd have to source tank decals of some sort, and preserve the original tank.

My BMW is also bone stock (20 years old now), and it looks like it came off the showroom floor yesterday. I've found out (out of your post from 2015) that you keep your stuff clean, and pristine. I am the same way. Sometimes it seems I spend more time cleaning my bikes/cars/guns than using them. I get almost the same satisfaction out of cleaning/maintaining as I do from using. Wife calls me "anal" (sometimes OCD). I've spent 20+ years in the uniform as a commissioned officer, and that did it for me. Prior to that, I was a long haired rock'n'roll drummer. Go figure.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:38 PM   #8
DPelletier
LEVEL 3 STAFF

KLR guys often say things like "the pig likes it dirty" and "it's a KLR, why clean it" and similar things......some are joking, some are serious.....but like you, I like my stuff to be cleaned, maintained and as pristine as possible; I find that if you keep your equipment clean and well maintained, it's much less likely to let you down! ;-)

Dave
Old 01-12-2018, 05:10 PM   #9
Danielsand
A Regular

As soon as I finish the assembly of this thing, I'll post some pics of both of my bikes (actually, I have couple quads too, and people around here call them "bikes", ......). My BMW, and my KLR are parked inside of the house (warm/clean). Quads are either in the barn, or outside.

You'll see that my KLR looks just like yours (in cleanliness). Just yesterday, my wife went shopping, and bought new toothbrushes, she handed me the "old" ones (about two months old - she's a nurse), saying "you'll need these for your bikes". I clean my bikes (hard to reach places like cylinder ribs) with toothbrushes. I sometimes cringe when I see pics of other KLRs on this (and other) forums.
I don't judge anyone. I know what I like, and how I like it. I have only one person on this planet to please,......me (maybe my wife too,...... a little! )
Old 01-12-2018, 09:33 PM   #10
TheHank
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2017
Locale: Colorado
Postings: 46
TheHank is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum, nice to see more mamoths here.
TheHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
dinosaur, mammoth, wooly