SiteLock
KLR Dash+Windscreen worth it? - Page 2 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Second Generation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR650 Second Generation 2008-2017+ Related Topics

Old 05-16-2017, 03:11 PM   #21
bergman
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jul 2016
Locale: NE Indiana
Postings: 62
bergman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: KLR Dash+Windscreen worth it?

The weak spot is actually in the factory part behind the lower plate. Black fillers that bridge the gap between lower windscreen and outer fairings. I'm happy with the Madstad though. I lower it all the way when towing or riding in the woods.
bergman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:45 PM   #22
badaskey
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2012
Locale: Portland, OR
Postings: 25
badaskey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhardy View Post
Plus 1 on the 22" Madstad. I am 6'4" and it cured the buffeting problem I had with the Kawi tall screen. Highly adjustable, can vary coverage and still direct some quieter, secondary airflow over my chest if wanted. I can ride highway speeds with my visor up, whereas before I'd get blasted at 40mph. The only "complaint" I have is that it vibrates a bit much (very noticeable at idle) even with the extra support brackets they offer. Aside from that small nitpick, it is a very nice unit.
ditto. I wasted my money on a klr dash and zg windscreen just to find that while it looked awesome, it didnt help very much and it felt like the brackets were made out of tin foil and the hardware rusted up within weeks of riding with it. So then I spent even more money on a madstad but I am finally happy with the result. It bounces around a bit, especially off road but you can flip wind screen upside down without tools to take some of the weight off of the top of the shield, which helps keep it steady on trails.
badaskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:13 AM   #23
parallax

Super Cool Since: Oct 2013
Locale: Between the Mountains & the Sea, NC
Postings: 389
parallax is on a distinguished road

My main negative of the KLR Dash is the cheap hardware that rust very quickly. Waste of money? IMHO, probably. Looks great but done in an el cheapo manner.

2012 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom
parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:30 PM   #24
klr650gal
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2017
Postings: 126
klr650gal is on a distinguished road

I'm interested in the KLR dash unit, but was dismayed reading about the poor quality hardware. I've always replaced the plain nuts and bolts on my bicycles with stainless steel bits I get from the local "real" hardware store. Not too expensive, usually a better grade rating, and those don't rust. And best of all, they're shiny, and may just catch the eye of an auto/truck driver in time to save me!
klr650gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:24 AM   #25
Archangel44
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2017
Locale: Garner, NC
Postings: 57
Archangel44 is on a distinguished road

+1 on replacing the bolts...in fact, I replace a few here and there when I get that wrench fever going.

I've had bikes over the years, got windscreens for them so I could ride without feeling like i'm in a hurricane but as of late; I need the exercise of holding on for dear life at speeds above 70 as I get older.

Only draw back is getting hit by a bug at 60+mpg...feels like being shot with a pellet gun
Old 08-23-2017, 12:54 PM   #26
cb550man
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Nov 2007
Locale: West Bend Wisconsin
Postings: 132
cb550man will become famous soon enough

I am 6 foot and have been running a KLR dash setup with a Zero Gravity Sport Touring screen. It looks great and makes me feel like I'm riding a rally bike. I don't notice much difference in wind and such between the dash setup and running the zero gravity screen in the stock location. I feel as though I will keep it because it made more room on my dash for gps and such. I did however hope for a little better protection from raising the screen. Its not and worste or any better if that makes sense. I also have it on its upmost setting and haven't tried any other settings. has anyone tried the different settings? I feel as though if I lower the setting I an defeating the purpose of raising it in the first place.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:19 PM   #27
klr650gal
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2017
Postings: 126
klr650gal is on a distinguished road

Having now ridden for several 100's of miles with the KLR 650 DASH with a Kawasaki tall windshield on my 2016, I am very happy with it. The wind now hits me about mid visor on my helmet while seated. (BTW, I am 5' 10" tall) While the brackets may be a tad lightweight, I've had no problems at 70MPh with any deflection. I did replace the fitting pieces with stainless steel items from the local hardware store.
Yes, I like the set-up. However, the left hand mirror hits the windshield at about 75% to full lock going right. I had the same problem with the tall windshield when mounted without the KLR 650 DASH unit. It has plenty of room on the right side going left though... And before you ask, yes, I did make sure my bars were centered.
klr650gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:52 PM   #28
lhedrick
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2016
Locale: Utah
Postings: 122
lhedrick is on a distinguished road

I's 6 foot 4 and found the stock KLR almost unridable because of the wind load. I went with a Parabellum wind screen. I think it was around 100 bucks. I worked just fine. I can now ride without my head getting pounded.
lhedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:53 PM   #29
tomm9050
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Aug 2016
Locale: So Cal
Postings: 42
tomm9050 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by timthetoolman View Post
I used to have a dash & tall windscreen. Still got knocked around by wind and blasted in the face, and im only 5'11". Save your $ and get a madstad setup, they come in different sizes.

What height Madstad did you go with? also 5'11"
tomm9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:03 PM   #30
TheSivart

Super Cool Since: Jul 2017
Locale: Central Oregon
Postings: 15
TheSivart is on a distinguished road

No one has mentioned the Solobox riser setup...?

I'm going to pick one of these up this week. It's half the price of a KLRdash, sturdier, and the guy that makes them is based in the PNW. So win/win/win.

I already picked up a used (but perfect) ZG sport touring shield to put on it and will use the stock shorty for trail riding. I'll report back next week with how it works out.

Anyone else used the Solobox risers?
Winter Plans: KLX Jet Kit, De-Snorkel, Raising links, risers, fork brace, sm lowered fender, crash bars, lights, exhaust, new rear spring, front suspension..? (If you have any of these parts for sale, let me know!)
TheSivart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:30 AM   #31
69BahamaYellow
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Apr 2014
Locale: Austin, TX
Postings: 1
69BahamaYellow is on a distinguished road

Got a Zero Gravity sport touring windshield for Christmas this year; just installed and took it for a test ride. This screen is 4.5" taller than the stock windshield, but it makes a huge difference with high speed rides. I'm 6'2" and this screen knocks the wind just up over my helmet at 85MPH. There is very little buffeting, and I can easily see over the top of it. Another thing I like is that this windshield is still small enough that I'm probably not going to damage it if I drop the bike in slippery terrain. I've seen lots of good reviews on the Madstad (what I really wanted), but I'm pretty tough on my KLR, so the ZG probably makes much more sense for me. I sure would hate to bust up a $250+ screen in the woods.....
69BahamaYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:49 AM   #32
Norton 850
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Mar 2010
Locale: Houston, Texas
Postings: 1,443
Norton 850 is a jewel in the roughNorton 850 is a jewel in the roughNorton 850 is a jewel in the rough

I'm 6'-1" and find that the Cee Bailey windshield works great for me.

Best,

Jason
Norton 850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:43 AM   #33
TeflonTrout
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Aug 2013
Locale: Ewa Beach, Hawaii
Postings: 106
TeflonTrout is on a distinguished road

I'm 6'2", use the factory tall windscreen. I wear an ADV helmet with a visor, and I don't have any issues. Maybe some neck exercises are in order?
TeflonTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:09 PM   #34
zerocool5468
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Aug 2015
Locale: USA
Postings: 153
zerocool5468 has a spectacular aura aboutzerocool5468 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallax View Post
My main negative of the KLR Dash is the cheap hardware that rust very quickly. Waste of money? IMHO, probably. Looks great but done in an el cheapo manner.
I have the same issue and emailed them 2 weeks ago and haven't gotten a response.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:00 PM   #35
Woodse
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Dec 2016
Locale: Salisbury, MD
Postings: 4
Woodse is on a distinguished road

I spent over $100 on a taller windscreen and it deflected everything to my face. Then I bought $5 worth of plexiglass and bent a taller one in the oven. I had extra plexiglass and bored so I formed additional diffusers and painted the back green. Used 3m two sided clear tape and stuck it to my stock windscreen. Perfect, quiet and cheap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171219_144839.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	65822  

Last edited by Woodse; 01-31-2018 at 02:08 PM. Reason: more pics
Woodse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:19 PM   #36
zerocool5468
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Aug 2015
Locale: USA
Postings: 153
zerocool5468 has a spectacular aura aboutzerocool5468 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool5468 View Post
I have the same issue and emailed them 2 weeks ago and haven't gotten a response.
Just got some new hardware in the mail from Lonny. Much nicer and less prone to rust. Thanks Lonny!

Tags
dash, klr, windscreen, worth