SiteLock
Heads-up display for helmets - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Off The Beaten Path > Gear & Equipment Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Gear & Equipment Discussion Gear for you and your ride

Old 02-07-2018, 03:27 PM   #1
colin
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Feb 2018
Locale: Toronto, Canada
Postings: 2
colin is on a distinguished road
Default Heads-up display for helmets

I'm an electrical engineering grad, and I'm a relatively new rider (been riding about three years). In my spare time, I put together a heads-up display for my own personal use. By chance, I took the helmet with me to a motorcycle show last month, and a few people I met said I ought to think about selling it.

I only have one, so I'm not actually selling it, but I thought I'd share it with the community to get some thoughts on it.

The eyepiece displays text in your field-of-view, so you can always keep your eyes on the road. It’ll display your speed, or basic GPS navigation, or both. It looks like this from the inside of the helmet:

All of the pieces are adjustable and they fit inside any helmet, so you can keep wearing the helmet that you know and like.

It works during the day, at night, and in the rain. All weather, all conditions.

As you can see, there is no frontal aerodynamic impact, because all of the pieces are tucked inside the helmet:

As far as safety is concerned, the eyepiece is made out of shatterproof glass, so even in the unlikely event that it breaks, it will hold together, just like a car windshield.

The pieces are stuck inside the helmet with an incredibly strong adhesive. Once placed, the pieces are damn near impossible to remove. You can try to yank them out, hard, and they won't budge.

Altogether, it costs $135 to make.

So, what do you guys think? Do you see yourself buying one of these, if it were available?
colin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:52 PM   #2
jeepsandbikes

Super Cool Since: May 2011
Locale: toronto
Postings: 422
jeepsandbikes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Heads-up display for helmets

very cool , now if you can make it smaller .. i would suggest bluetooth connect ability to use in conjunction with google maps or any map app . remember a lot of helmets have 2 way radios . being about to connect with the speakers in that for audible directions from your phones apps would be an important feature .
Old 02-07-2018, 04:25 PM   #3
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jan 2012
Locale: Oregon Coast
Postings: 500
Robert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to all

I definitely think you're on to something.

The question is... what are you on to?

Fantastic idea, I like the simplicity, but as evidenced by the above post, I think (and feel personally) that I wouldn't spend that much on it.

Gee whiz item at this point..

I don't want you to think I'm discouraging you... quite the contrary, If it did more for the price point, I'd be hard pressed not to throw money at you... and by price point, I don't mean what it cost to make, don't worry... figure if it cost you $135 ea, you'd need to ask at least $300. If it had connectivity, where you could program what you could see? I could honestly justify putting down an extra $100-200 for it.

That's my personal, CONSUMER CHEAPASS evaluation.

What else would I like to see?

A bit more detailed GPS... With color changing arrows that blink based on proximity. I'd like to be able to program it with miles traveled. I'd also like it to display who is calling/texting me. I would also love to see when I'm out of cell range.

Any number of other little things that could happen if it were paired with a phone and an app designed to run the thing.

I know, asking for the moon.

I like it, but at the current stage in it's evolution? I would not buy it.
Blue KLR club member #243 Post a pic of your bike here, then pm me for membership. https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...light=blue+klr

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Robert Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:13 PM   #4
jeepsandbikes

Super Cool Since: May 2011
Locale: toronto
Postings: 422
jeepsandbikes is on a distinguished road

https://www.ridenuviz.com/products/n...ead-up-display
Old 02-09-2018, 02:44 AM   #5
WiRider
Not one of the experts.

Super Cool Since: Mar 2012
Locale: Madtown
Postings: 2,654
WiRider has a spectacular aura aboutWiRider has a spectacular aura about

Excellent idea. The tech is available to do it, and at a variety of different levels.

Google Glass. I remember reading an article was (somewhere) made illegal to use when driving. There may be legal limitations once in production. Legislators seem to have nothing but pron on the mind.

I personally would walk away if ANY information is displayed centrally or anywhere even just halfway off center. Don't want that. All display needs to be at the periphery. All.

There is a display "puck" to attach to your glove and bluetooth to your phone for gps turn by turn directions. May still be available. Just a circle of LED's indicating direction by flashing codes. More and more urgent flashing for closer and closer to the turn. Something like that would be easy to put at periphery of vision.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:53 AM   #6
WiRider
Not one of the experts.

Yes... I would be a buyer. Want simple gps. Could be much smaller display than you used.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:07 PM   #7
C5dad

Super Cool Since: Aug 2015
Locale: Arizona
Postings: 302
C5dad is on a distinguished road

Shatter proof glass does have shards when broken. I found out the hard way when I was a teen not wearing a seatbelt (last time that ever happened.). I would suggest Lexan or another appropriate plastic.

Corbin Seat w upgraded seat pad, EM Fork Brace w/ Acerbis fender, Cogent Moab and front springs, USB and 12 v accessory outlet; Cee Bailey windsheld; MC Mod; deCalifornicated; upcoming 685 kit.
C5dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:58 PM   #8
WiRider
Not one of the experts.

Actually, the tech he used would make a VERY NICE display attached to windshield. HUD need not be IN the helmet.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:18 PM   #9
colin
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Feb 2018
Locale: Toronto, Canada
Postings: 2
colin is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5dad View Post
Shatter proof glass does have shards when broken. I found out the hard way when I was a teen not wearing a seatbelt (last time that ever happened.). I would suggest Lexan or another appropriate plastic.
That is a great point. I forgot about spalling. I'm going to look into using plastic to reinforce the eyepiece.
colin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:53 AM   #10
Arizona_Elwood

Super Cool Since: Jul 2014
Locale: Phoenix, Arizona
Postings: 659
Arizona_Elwood is a jewel in the roughArizona_Elwood is a jewel in the roughArizona_Elwood is a jewel in the rough

Colin, I do think it is a good idea. However I think placing the lens group inside the helmet limits the overall utility. Using an aftermarket windshield with lens group offers more flexibility do to the larger canvas.. But, the utility of the item is still restricted to use only on the bike..

The nut to crack is to create it in the form of semi-normal eyeglasses. Putting it in a helmet or to be used with the windshield suffers the same fatal flaw.. It's useless away from the bike.

Having the unit project onto a lens group integrated with normal appearing eyeglasses lets the user use the technology in nearly every aspect of normal life. Much wider applications.. Much broader appeal.

I say keep on with the good work.. Apply for every patent you can afford.. and wait.. Wait for Sony, ODG, Snap or Vuzix to come knocking on your door holding a big bag of cash..

Tags
display, headsup, helmets