SiteLock
LA-Barstow-Vegas '18 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Ride Reports, Photo & Video > Ride Reports & Trip Planning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Ride Reports & Trip Planning Are you ready for some great riding and adventure stories!?

Old 02-07-2018, 05:16 PM   #1
Mnphil
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Feb 2018
Locale: Minnesota
Postings: 4
Mnphil is on a distinguished road
Default LA-Barstow-Vegas '18

Im looking to take the KLR to LA at thanksgiving for the annual ride, trouble is, i live in Minnesota, the planning starts now, any advice is gratefully received. The bike is a 2011 purchased in 2012. So far I have parts for the following refresh items, Fork oil, doohickey (better safe than sorry), and torsion spring, clutch plates, discs and springs, I plan to check valves, replace the plastic skid plate with something stronger, add engine bars, new sprockets and chain, brush guards, GPS, tires, then maintenance items. Im planning to virtually strip the bike and replace any bearings, grease etc.
I ride every month here, so its seen its share of hot and cold rides in its 24,000 miles, i cant help it, Im originally from England, and you know what they say about mad dogs and Englishmen...
Like hanging a 400+lb KLR off the back of a Jeep Grand Cherokee for the 1750 mile each way run to LA and back and actually expecting to get there.
Any advice is welcome, such as using foam between the skid plate and engine so that rocks don't lock in there and punch their way into the casing, that one I hadn't thought about!
Mnphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:39 PM   #2
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jan 2012
Locale: Oregon Coast
Postings: 507
Robert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to all
Default Re: LA-Barstow-Vegas '18

Foam? I've never heard anyone mention it, and think it's less than a good idea.

Look into a trailer. Barring that, you'll likely need to fabricate something significant to make sure the 400# + KLR doesn't cause metal fatigue in your setup and end up bouncing down the road.

The list of mods is nearly endless, and everyone has their own order...

1. Doo.

2. KLX kit

3. MC mod for gen 2

4. Skid plate

5. Crash bars.

6. Pannier racks.

7. Thermobob

8. 685

9. Highway pegs

10. Seat

11. Suspension

There you go, a different way to think about it.

You may want to reconsider trucking the bike, though...

There's an awful lot of country to see between Minnesota and LA.
Blue KLR club member #243 Post a pic of your bike here, then pm me for membership. https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...light=blue+klr

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Robert Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-10-2018, 11:26 AM   #3
Old_Six_Fitty
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2003
Locale: NorCal
Postings: 2,565
Old_Six_Fitty has much to be proud ofOld_Six_Fitty has much to be proud ofOld_Six_Fitty has much to be proud ofOld_Six_Fitty has much to be proud ofOld_Six_Fitty has much to be proud ofOld_Six_Fitty has much to be proud ofOld_Six_Fitty has much to be proud ofOld_Six_Fitty has much to be proud of

I would add the T-vent in the carb vent line.

When I did the ride years back, the crossing on the Acton river was 2-3 feet deep. Piece of cake to motor through -provided your airbox did not have holes on the sides, and the carb was properly vented.

Without the T-vent, water blocks off the bottom of the vent tube and that prevents carb from flowing any fuel -so she stalls out.

1/4 x 1/4 x 1/4

Insert the tee into the vent hose about 5 inches back from the port on the carb and run another 12-18 inches of vent hose up under the tank.

Cheap and easy.

1987 KLR650 w/ 685, T-Bob, Eagle Doo, Orange Poser

. . . . . . . . . . and that's NorCal, not Sacto.
Old_Six_Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:56 PM   #4
xrjak

Super Cool Since: Feb 2012
Locale: Colorado
Postings: 65
xrjak is on a distinguished road

I am a little jealous, I did it in 2013. Get on the D37 Website when registration begins and find some riding partners if you do not already have one. Book your rooms early and lock your self into the event and do not back out. You will love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike.jpg (95.6 KB, 4 views)
xrjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:34 PM   #5
DSchmidt7of7

Super Cool Since: Oct 2014
Locale: Orange County, CA
Postings: 112
DSchmidt7of7 will become famous soon enoughDSchmidt7of7 will become famous soon enough

Sounds like a great adventure. Perhaps you can partner up with someone who has a truck or trailer to share cost and driving time.

Beyond the usual things to protect the bike and rider Iíd suggest you plan to dress in layers, have warm gloves and wear a good pair of goggles. A water bladder/ camelback is good so you can drink a lot. You will likely get dehydrated and that leads to other problems.

Iíd also suggest that you get REALLY comfortable riding in soft sand and work on your on-the-bike endurance. Itís amazing how tired you can get.

The stock tank has plenty of range. In fact I wouldnít necessarily fill it completly full cuz doing so adds a lot of weight up high (and thatís not so good in sand).

Iíve got a cabin-ish place not too terribly far from Barstow that I go to that time of year. Be sure to let me and other SoCal riders know if you have a major emergency.

Good luck with your preparations. You will never forget that ride.

DSchmidt7of7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:08 PM   #6
Old_Six_Fitty
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2003
Locale: NorCal
Postings: 2,565
Old_Six_Fitty has much to be proud ofOld_Six_Fitty has much to be proud ofOld_Six_Fitty has much to be proud ofOld_Six_Fitty has much to be proud ofOld_Six_Fitty has much to be proud ofOld_Six_Fitty has much to be proud ofOld_Six_Fitty has much to be proud ofOld_Six_Fitty has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSchmidt7of7 View Post
Iíd also suggest that you get REALLY comfortable riding in soft sand and work on your on-the-bike endurance. Itís amazing how tired you can get.
What he said, the route we had the year I rode it spent about 25 miles riding in the same sand wash, then climbed up over a few hills, and into another sandwash for what must have been 50 miles. There were plated 2-strokers that had cruised through before us, left some serious whoops, and KLR suspension was not the best for rolling 3 foot berms. It was a workout for sure. We passed a guy on his GS1100 ... beemer front end was clanking away with every whoop - lock-to-lock.

My riding partner was a master with the GPS so we were ontrack and rarely missed the turns, there were a lot of those 2-strokers that kept passing us several times, 'cause they had missed turns and had to double-back.

I carried too much weight in spares, and to do it again I would opt for either Cogent or Ricor suspension rework, and a 14t front sprocket.

Wicked fun, and not for the faint of heart -so eat your wheaties and get in shape (jog 50 min, do 100 pushups and 100 situps every day).
Was living in LA at the time, and we rode the bikes back from Vegas on Thanksgiving Sunday ... for about 70 mi of lane splitting 'cause of the traffic. You know, on account of these being dualsport bikes.

Yep - e-ticket ride.

1987 KLR650 w/ 685, T-Bob, Eagle Doo, Orange Poser

. . . . . . . . . . and that's NorCal, not Sacto.
Old_Six_Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:03 AM   #7
Mnphil
Occasional Poster

Great advice from everyone, really appreciate it, so:
Doo: got it and plan on fitting it once the weather warms enough in the shop (also got the torsion spring
Skid Plate: plan on that one
Crash Bars: again, plan on that
Thermobob: i should do this just for being a winter mn rider
KLX kit: heard of this, will check it out
T-Vent: hadn't heard of this, will be doing this

For the ride out I was looking at the 'Ultimate MX Hauler' and taking off the front and rear wheels just to get the extra 50 lbs of spring off the tongue, adding some air springs to the rear to level it out, and dropping on a hitch lock and straps to stop slap. The other huge decision on this is that it will hopefully deter potential thieves from taking the bike at the hotel stops when i keep a rim with me in the rooms.

Im also browsing trucks to swap out the jeep for so i can just haul it in the back, but to be honest it looks like the KLR just isnt the bike to run this on, with the sand, theres no way in Minnesota to practice that. I do have riding partners, but they are from Arizona and run 300 and 450 2 strokes so im sure they will disappear into the distance once we hit sand.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:07 PM   #8
slawson2000
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: May 2012
Locale: Las Vegas, NV / Pine Grove, CA
Postings: 756
slawson2000 is on a distinguished road

I looked real hard at this last year and am looking at it again this year. I have not done it yet. The route changes every year and you do not know it until you check in. I do know that there are a number of "alternative" routes for less sand worthy bikes and a few bypasses you can take to make up time on if you fall behind. There are also so more challenging routes that pop up a few places on the course. But no matter what you will ride some sand. How soft the sand is a function of how much recent rain occurs before the race and how many go before you. Leave early.

You have probably seen this, but there are a number of you-tube videos of sections of the course that gives you a pretty good idea of what you can encounter.

Partnering up is a great idea as you might want to trailer the klr either back to Barstow after the race or to Barstow before the race. Or you can ride it, about 2.5 hours on the freeway. Somehow you need to get back to your vehicle.

Add to the list a roll chart holder. They give you one of those at check in and you can get the routes downloaded to some GPSs. Bring whatever you need to hook it up to a computer.

Seriously look at some grip heaters or motorcycle mitts. The early morning portion of the ride can be quite cold. Also, goggles even if you have a face shield. The face shield can collect dust on the inside.
Big Gun Race Exhaust, Moose Racing Skid Plate, Dual Star RadGuard, Advanced Exhaust Timing, PCV, Uni Air Filter, EM Doohickey, EM Torsion Spring, EM Low Profile Drain Plug, Upgraded Balancer Sprockets, ThermoBob2, MOSFET R/R, DynoJet needle, Rox 2" Risers, LEDs, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Cogent Deluxe (Moab +3/4", fork springs, adjustable caps, and DDC's).
slawson2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:18 PM   #9
Mnphil
Occasional Poster

I have been watching alot of the videos, I think the roll chart holder is insisted on, but I was going to back it up with a GPS, its funny how you would expect it to be warm in a desert but that its so cold for the ride.
I wouldn't be driving out alone, so I wouldn't have issues with the ride back to pick up the vehicle, but that driver won't drive with a trailer hence looking at the Ultimate MX Hauler or a pickup.
As a reply for the earlier post about foam, the foam goes between the skid plate and the engine, its made for that purpose and stops rocks from getting between the two and then punching into the engine casing if the bike comes down on the skid plate. I saw photographs of someone suffering this fate and the trail of oil and use of a 2 part epoxy to limp home is enough to make me want that extra level of security.
Sponsored links

Tags
barstow, desert, klr650, labarstowvegas, refresh, ride