SiteLock
Recommendation for a gentle off road jaunt! - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > Canada
> Ontario Riders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Hello, welcome back.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:50 PM   #1
Thunder4219

Super Cool Since: Jul 2017
Locale: Burlington, Ontario
Postings: 9
Thunder4219 is on a distinguished road
Default Recommendation for a gentle off road jaunt!

I have a new-to-me 2009 KLR650 and it has been a good too many years since I did much riding never mind any off the pavement! I'm in Burlington and I'm look for a recommendation for a gentle off road jaunt to get used to how the bike handles. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Cheers

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk
Thunder4219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:22 AM   #2
ACE rider
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jul 2012
Locale: Canadia
Postings: 166
ACE rider is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Recommendation for a gentle off road jaunt!

Not sure about your side of the GTA, but there are plenty of dirt options to the North and East.

Be aware that pretty much all of the 'trails' in Ontario require a trail permit of some kind. And yes, the police do enforce them, especially on the weekends.

If you have a membership with the OFTR or SCORRA, then the Simcoe County Forests have plenty to offer in the Barrie area. Same goes for the Ganaraska Forest north of Newcastle, which can be accessed with a day permit.

From here in Whitby I like to head out and ride the unassumed roads to the north-east. They are roads, not trails so no permits required but they range from gentle farm tracks to gnarly single track. Generally they are less than 2km in length, going from one concession road to another, so you're never far from safety/help if you ride alone. Just look for the yellow signs that say "Unassumed Road" or "Summer Maintenance Only" or "Use at Own Risk".

You could also check out the Ontario Federation of Trail Riders website, they have a forum as well as links to local riding organisations. https://www.oftr.ca/

Cheers, and take it easy. The KLR is a heavy pig if you're not used to it.

Alan

Last edited by ACE rider; 08-01-2017 at 11:23 AM.
ACE rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-03-2017, 06:58 AM   #3
Thunder4219

Super Cool Since: Jul 2017
Locale: Burlington, Ontario
Postings: 9
Thunder4219 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Recommendation for a gentle off road jaunt!

Thanks Alan, this is very helpful. I've heard that Ganaraska is worth the trip to the Peterborough area. I'm also thinking of joining OFTR.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk
Thunder4219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
gentle, jaunt, recommendation, road