SiteLock
Photobucket RANSOM - Won't Pay - Be Patient - Page 2 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > Procedures & How To Articles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Hello, welcome back.
Procedures & How To Articles KLR650 Modifications, Procedures, Tech Info

Old 07-02-2017, 08:48 PM   #21
coachgeo
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jul 2017
Locale: Southern OH
Postings: 50
coachgeo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Photobucket RANSOM - Won't Pay - Be Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
If I have to pay, I may go with SmugMug, family run operation.
curios why you're hosting elsewhere at all? You can post images to 90% of forums without needing to host off site. If you're going to throw money... throw it at the discussion forum(s) that you find beneficial to your hobby/obsession. If you need storage space thus reason your hosting pics elsewhere... buy a nice size second hard drive so you can instead use that for backups. By the time you pay a host site a few times... you could have bought a hard drive.
coachgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:46 AM   #22
Tumbleweed
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: May 2005
Locale: 28:48 hrs East of Spoon Booty
Postings: 9,154
Tumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of light

Clearly you are more computer savvy than I.

I have no idea how to open up my personal computer to become an image server for the multiple Forums I am on, without getting horrifically hacked. I do know enough for that to sound like a really bad Idea. It's also complicated enough that there are several very successful companies that do only that.
Tumbleweed - IBA #58468
'03 KLR650 "Fu Manchu" / '12 VStrom 650 Adv
Photobucket hosted Photo library is gone, account is closed.

"To travel is to live" Hans Christian Andersen
Tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:49 AM   #23
roadapple
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Nov 2008
Locale: Chicago, IL
Postings: 763
roadapple is on a distinguished road

SO the 'CLOUD' concept reared it's ugly head and you're upset?

1) Smugmug for now.

2) Own your own images don't help others make $$$ on your work.

4) Shoot Raw, image edit, save offline, host/post a small preview.

3) 70/100 lpi/dpi or so, most website user screens aren't going to be above that; besides most websites will appreciate you more, your pics will load faster website users will like you more.

4) Don't host your own - too much trouble, too much $$$

Don't know how?

Go to a Community collage and learn the basics of digital photo image editing, storing, retrieving. Any good Graphic Arts dept. at a school will have this.
roadapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:12 AM   #24
8bit

Postings: n/a

8bit
Old 07-03-2017, 09:05 AM   #25
klrAlaska

Locale: Anchorage,Alaska
Postings: 511
klrAlaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadapple View Post
...Go to a Community collage...
Old 07-03-2017, 11:40 AM   #26
Tumbleweed
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Tumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of light

Perhaps I need to clarify. I'm not illiterate and I didn't post this for you yahoos to tell me what to do. I made this post as a courtesy, because many people have benefited from the threads I've put up that are photo heavy.

As for why I have used a web-hosting service? Because it was easy, worked, and in my point and click camera world - did all I needed.

I fix electronics all day and sit in front of a computer for way too many hours in the process. The last thing I want to do in my off time is to be my own System administrator.

As for shooting Raw, editing, and bla bla bla.... dude you sound unemployed. "Go to college?" WTF? Been there, learned a lot of great stuff, now I have a demanding, challenging, rewarding career. I simply don't have any interest in becoming a digital photography guru. Would much prefer to spend my time exploring the real world.

As for "the Cloud," I'm not upset about technology advancing. In reality, nothing has changed from the past other than speed. There is no "cloud" with data in motion perpetually, floating around or driven by the cyber winds. I don't live watching the data forecast hoping for a data storm to shower my digital garden with fresh nourishing data from the sky. LOL.. "Cloud" I wonder who came up wtih that... . Cloudy marketing to be sure.

We live in a 3D world of machines. Everyone's data is at rest in a server farm somewhere, or held privately. There is no data floating around to be accessed miraculously. Each device must be Served information when they request it. The major thing the "cloud" does is allow multiple devices to sync to the same data source. which again is not synonymous with a cloud to me.

What photobucket did by dramatically changing the terms of agreement is unacceptable to me. from $0 to $400 a year is nutz. It's their server farm, they are fee to do as they please. I don't have to play along. I chose to disagree to the new agreement and removed my material and my account. That is how a free enterprise society works.

I may chose to use another site for a fee, because a lot has changed since I opened my PBucket account 14 years ago, and smugmug in particular has a pretty loyal following. There is probably a good reason for that, which I'll investigate. This is also fairly new and PBucket may reverse their position (I sincerely doubt that will happen), the fact I blew away my account has permanently affected the threads I have going here and elsewhere.

Bottom line, I don't need anyone telling me what to do. So stuff it.

Pictures are offline until I decide on what I want to do about it, if anything.

As for this thread, I'm about done with it.

Got real things to do.

TW
Tumbleweed - IBA #58468

Old 07-03-2017, 07:25 PM   #27
R/L

Super Cool Since: May 2010
Locale: SW Michigan
Postings: 797
R/L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachgeo View Post
curios why you're hosting elsewhere at all? You can post images to 90% of forums without needing to host off site. If you're going to throw money... throw it at the discussion forum(s) that you find beneficial to your hobby/obsession. If you need storage space thus reason your hosting pics elsewhere... buy a nice size second hard drive so you can instead use that for backups. By the time you pay a host site a few times... you could have bought a hard drive.
Just curious, why are you not a supporting member of KLR650.net?
Givi Crash Bars
Moab Shock
Moab Fork Spring
RaceTech Emulators
Sargent Low Seat
Thermo-Bob
WW 688
R/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:05 PM   #28
coachgeo
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by R/L View Post
Just curious, why are you not a supporting member of KLR650.net?
cause I just got here... when it proves its value will do just that. Realistically Bulletin boards are not cars/bikes etc. that you pay up front for.... they are libraries of information and its SOP of a good citizen to support their library financially and or as volunteer etc. AFTER they find that it truly houses what the community needs. Looking good so far; concerned about archives though.

would like to see editing opened up. Not sure as it is now it truly serves the community. Also raises cost (more bandwidth needed because edits/updates must be done as new post) Especially now could use opening up since sounds like folk got a lot of picture fixing to do. Hopefully it is not too bad of loss to the archives. Matters how many were using Photobook If it is a lot and pics are not fixed .... archive quality drops thusly dropping the board's total value along with it.

Right now as a new KLR owner (and PO highly modified it) Don't have much to offer yet in that category. Experience in bulletin board managing that is an area can offer assistance.

PS- huge thanks to xxx for his lighting thread. When my stuff gets here will add any additional insight that might run across. His stuff was good so doubt I'll have anything better to offer.

Last edited by coachgeo; 07-03-2017 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:09 PM   #29
coachgeo
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachgeo View Post
PS- huge thanks to xxx for his lighting thread. When my stuff gets here will add any additional insight that might run across. His stuff was good so doubt I'll have anything better to offer.
xxx = VW151 and Madox_44
Old 07-03-2017, 11:37 PM   #30
Tumbleweed
LEVEL 3 STAFF

I forgot to welcome you to the board Coachgeo. Welcome to .net.

Even with the picture issue, I think you'll find some very helpful information for identifying and understanding the modifications that have been done to your "new to you" machine. If not, just ask and someone will have an answer pretty quickly.

A quick note about opening up editing to the users.... we've had some issues here with threats made and other general ugliness. Then the culprit wants to back away and deny the wrong doing; A) Request/Complain they can't Edit the post - to remove the evidence, B) Demand a moderator remove the post, C) Demand all posts they ever made in any thread be deleted and their account removed.

General policy has been, "you post it, it's stays." That's also why some areas require registration to participate.

that's why I suggest that Glenn may allow special edit privileges to fix important posts if requested on an individual basis. As a moderator, I'll be able to make my own edits, just won't be for awhile. I'm on very limited bandwidth right now.

This is typically a very civil forum, and we try to maintain a helpful and respectful environment. Almost all of the major thread train wrecks have been off-topic, or a good topic that simply went off the rails.

The moderators are all volunteers. Glenn is Owner/Operator and makes the final decisions. He is always available through PM or email: Admin@KLR650.net

TW
Tumbleweed - IBA #58468

Old 07-04-2017, 02:21 AM   #31
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jan 2012
Locale: Avoiding Dysentery
Postings: 126
Robert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to all

I've worked with members in the past to restore posts.

As a rule, I do not delete.

I redirect.

So if someone has an issue with their posts, I can and do help fix them... adding text, changing the wording (as long as it is simple, such as changing a price on a sale item, or moving blocks of text to fix a ride report, etc.) and fixing pictures if they give me the new address.

While it would be nice to be able to edit your own posts, the reasons listed by TW fr NOT opening the boards were learned the hard way.

So it's worth the extra effort (to me) that goes with helping people fix their posts, instead of having to referee a spat with participants changing what they posted.
Blue KLR club member #243 Post a pic of your bike here, then pm me for membership. https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...light=blue+klr

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Robert Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:12 AM   #32
roadapple
KLR Enthusiast

Locale: Chicago, IL
Postings: 763
roadapple is on a distinguished road

I worked for a director in an It company once who's favorite monetizing phrase was "anything free has no value." He never defined value. The product we were there for crashed and burned. We left customers stranded all because time marched on, we had a proprietary product that was expensive.

Don't be a Dilbert. Time marches on. Photo#ucket is messing with their model because they want to monetize and they think people will pay..good luck with that. I wish everyone a successful outcome.
roadapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:28 PM   #33
coachgeo
A Regular

Quote:
I forgot to welcome you to the board Coachgeo. Welcome to .net. ...
Thank you sir. understand DEARLY the volunteer level and sacrifice of time and heart ache of Mods. Built the largest English speaking Unimog discussion forum on the net over a near 15 year period as a mod for a small forum inside a huge (now Murdock owned) Bulletin Board.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:31 PM   #34
DPelletier
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Aug 2010
Locale: Kelowna B.C.
Postings: 6,126
DPelletier will become famous soon enoughDPelletier will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I made this post as a courtesy, because many people have benefited from the threads I've put up that are photo heavy.

As for why I have used a web-hosting service? Because it was easy, worked, and in my point and click camera world - did all I needed.

I fix electronics all day and sit in front of a computer for way too many hours in the process. The last thing I want to do in my off time is to be my own System administrator.

TW
Ditto; ......I provide free advice to (hopefully) help people with their motorcycle issues/questions.....I'm not paying to do so, and I'm VERY annoyed with PB. I have zero interest in spending any time trying to develop a work-around for this....the people that will pay the price are the poor saps googling an answer and finding a thread with a bunch of broken photo links....

Dave
twins; 2000 & 2001 KLR's: Cogent suspension, 320mm rotor+SV calipers, IMS tanks+ tankvest, Knight designs pegs, Anti-gravity batteries, Renthal bars, MT21 and D606 tires, FMF Q4 and LeoVince X3, ...and most everything that Eaglemike makes! :-)
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:20 PM   #35
Glenn
Site Administrator
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Jun 2003
Locale: USA
Postings: 18,583
Glenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud of

Quote:
My F*ckBucket account is gone. All photos have been removed. Going dark for awhile. Got some living to do.

TW
Good copy, bro. Have fun out there at sea...

For everyone else who still needs help with photos, continue on.

Regarding including/attaching photos:

Photos can be hosted right here on the site, before submitting your new topic or reply you are presented with additional options.
Below are options to "Manage Attachments" which essentially means to add or remove images OR documents to your post.

As you can see, I have included an example below:

Secondary option, there is a dedicated photo hosting option right here on the website.
It ls located at https://www.klr650.net/photos/

Or, you may use Google Photos / Google Drive, free and easy to use.
You do have some options.

I can also assign individuals FTP access to their own folder on the server for those managing lots of photos in write-ups such as yours.
If this is something you'd like me to set up for you I'm willing to do that.
An example link would be something like:
https://www.klr650.net/Tumbleweed/instructions.jpg
Direct links in your posts would ensure the pictures load every time.

Take care,
Glenn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attach4.jpg (86.2 KB, 92 views)
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:10 AM   #36
Tumbleweed
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Hi Glenn,

There is always a work-around. When I get back and have some time I'll revive my Photo account here and direct link from there. Then everything is all in one place.

For now, I'm living the dream working 11-13 hrs a day, Everyday, going in on the launch to the island a couple times a week to stretch my legs, talk to friends on other ships, and lift a few pints.

coming up on my halfway mark soon, the time it really flying by for me.

Enjoy, and don't forget to log off and spend some time in the real world.

TW
Tumbleweed - IBA #58468

Old 08-12-2017, 05:02 PM   #37
Norton 850
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Mar 2010
Locale: Houston, Texas
Postings: 1,316
Norton 850 is a jewel in the roughNorton 850 is a jewel in the roughNorton 850 is a jewel in the rough

I feel your pain there Tumbleweed. I was a Photobucket user for about as long as they have been in business; 13-plus years.

Yesterday I uploaded some pics of my scissor jack to Photobucket, but could not copy the link for posting to a third party. For over an hour, I thought there was something wrong on my end. So I tried deleting cookies and all sorts of computer stuff but to no avail.

I thought that out of professional courtesy, Photobucket would have sent an email blast letting people know that they could no longer copy links for posting to a third party without putting some $$$. But I guess we get what we pay for.

So I'm keen to check out your Smugmug site.

Best,

Jason
Norton 850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:08 PM   #38
Glenn
Site Administrator
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Jun 2003
Locale: USA
Postings: 18,583
Glenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton 850 View Post
So I'm keen to check out your Smugmug site.

Best,

Jason
Save your money.. use Google Photos, the best management and infrastructure in the world.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:22 AM   #39
Tumbleweed
LEVEL 3 STAFF

I'm going to put my KLR photos here at KLR650.net. Currently on Day 54 of 100 to completed on this assignment and expect to be home and working on this sometime in Oct/Nov.

Not good internet access where I am, and I am rather enjoying the vacation from the virtual world.

TW
Tumbleweed - IBA #58468

Old 08-15-2017, 02:33 AM   #40
Deprime

Super Cool Since: Jul 2008
Locale: Indiana
Postings: 23
Deprime is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Save your money.. use Google Photos, the best management and infrastructure in the world.
Tried this out tonight............easy peasy.

Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation.
Deprime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
patient, pay, photobucket, ransom