SiteLock
Did the doo - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > RSA
> RSA Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2015, 10:19 AM   #1
Dual
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Dec 2010
Locale: Hermanus
Postings: 195
Dual is on a distinguished road
Default Did the doo

Done 21 600 km's on the bike
Been talked scared about the doo
Decided to replace it with Eagle Mike doo and torsion spring

Opened up - open heart surgery

Flywheel came off easily

Old doo position

Spring still intact and still quite strong

Done, maybe not neccesary, but it's done and dusted, confident it won't break on me

Dual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:14 AM   #2
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jan 2012
Locale: Oregon Coast
Postings: 505
Robert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to all
Default Re: Did the doo

I did mine right around 10k miles. My spring had enough tension to hold the ends on, but not enough to adjust... looks like you can't slip a business card in between those coils... and the lever is just about out of travel.

All in all? I'd say you did it just in time.
Blue KLR club member #243 Post a pic of your bike here, then pm me for membership. https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...light=blue+klr

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Robert Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-26-2016, 11:22 AM   #3
Xplorer
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Dec 2016
Locale: South africa
Postings: 3
Xplorer is on a distinguished road

Which models need this?
I have just pirchased a 2013 KLR.
Someone told me this model does nkt need this mod.
Xplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 02:20 PM   #4
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jan 2012
Locale: Oregon Coast
Postings: 505
Robert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to all

It will need to be done eventually.

While the actual lever is stronger, the spring system has not changed. The system will run out of tension in very short order.

You should have tension enough for a few adjustments before that happens.

You have two choices... you can either...

1. Purchase shorter springs. The problem with this method is...

a. You don't know without going in and checking whether you're out of tension or not.

b. You run the risk of ruining the gaskets every time you go in to replace the spring.

c. Getting the right length spring to put just enough tension, but not too much or too little.

d. You have to go in and do the same work again, and again, to get to the spring. That means the whole Doo process... each time.

2. Get the torsion spring Doo kit from EM. The problem with this method is...

a. You have to drill a hole in the case.

b. You have to buy the parts.

EM's solution has gone for over 100,000 miles and still had room for adjustment. It fits better as well.

TBH, do it once with EM's kit, or do it over and over again.

Oh, there's actually a third option...

3. Manually tension. Loosen the doo bolt, and move the lever with a screwdriver, then tighten the bolt. Problems with this.

a. You still have to remove the side cover, potentially ruining the gasket.

b. If you don't remove the spring at some point, it will vibrate, and fail, sending pieces into your moving bits.

c. Not recommended as a fix, but is a work around until proper parts/service can be sourced.

You're going to hear all kinds of stories. Some say they've gone XX,XXX miles without changing their system, and their bike runs fine. Not one of them has ever gone into their bike with a camera and proved this.

Others will say it will blow up immediately. While we have photographic evidence of bikes with less than 5k on the odo, and the spring has no tension, or the lever has broken (gen 1) your odds are good that you have at least two adjustments to the system. Mine (as stated above) was nearly out of tension at 10k miles when I did the deed.

Do it once, do it right... EM torsion spring (yes it requires his lever which is better anyways).

Or do it how you feel. It's your bike, your time.

Forgot to include. I've got a 2011.
Blue KLR club member #243 Post a pic of your bike here, then pm me for membership. https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...light=blue+klr

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

Last edited by Robert Z; 12-26-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Robert Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
doo