SiteLock
engine balance - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Premium Advertisers > Eagle Mfg & Eng
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Eagle Mfg & Eng Click the banner to purchase! QUALITY. MADE IN USA! Forum operated by Eaglemike

Old 04-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
Eaglemike
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: May 2005
Locale: San Diego
Postings: 9,402
Eaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud of
Default engine balance

Once in a while people ask why the forged pistons make the engine smoother. Well, it's interesting. The aftermarket pistons we sell are lighter than the stock stuff. The next question "Should that make the engine rougher? After all, Kawasaki knows what they are doing, and they balanced the engine." The engine counterbalance system was designed for the KL600. The 600 had a shorter stroke, and smaller bore, which also means lighter piston. Depending on design, one could make it as heavy as the 650 piston, but I'm willing to bet that the 600 piston is lighter than the 650. Remember the 600 wasn't really a 600, it was a 565. Bore and stroke 96 X 78. The big end also had a smaller bearing size. IIRC the wrist pin was smaller diameter. This all affects reciprocating weight.

I've compared part numbers for the balancer parts. The 600 used the same balancer weights as the early 650. I've weighed the muli-part sprockets and the post 1995 one-piece sprockets, and they are the same within manufacturing tolerances.

Bottom line - the engine balancing system was designed for the 600, and not re-balanced for the 650.

We have yet to find a piston light enough that the vibes got worse......

Cary Aspy -the real klr650 guru. RIP my brother, I miss you.

Don't try to be a great man, just be a man, and let history make it's own decision

Be your own KLR650 GURU!

Last edited by Eaglemike; 04-04-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Eaglemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
JBradley500

Super Cool Since: Oct 2012
Locale: IL/NY
Postings: 319
JBradley500 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: engine balance

Thanks. Interesting stuff.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
Super Dave 26

Super Cool Since: Mar 2011
Locale: South East Wisconsin
Postings: 548
Super Dave 26 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBradley500 View Post
Thanks. Interesting stuff.
Agreed!
Super Dave 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:07 AM   #4
BareBones

Super Cool Since: Jun 2016
Locale: australia
Postings: 6
BareBones is on a distinguished road

Hi, whilst looking at the left hand counter balance weight on a 1990 Tengai motor I noticed that it can be rotated a few millimetres back and forth independent of the sprocket. sprocket and chain stay still, can anyone tell me if that is acceptable, thanks.
BareBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:28 PM   #5
Eaglemike
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Eaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BareBones View Post
Hi, whilst looking at the left hand counter balance weight on a 1990 Tengai motor I noticed that it can be rotated a few millimetres back and forth independent of the sprocket. sprocket and chain stay still, can anyone tell me if that is acceptable, thanks.
You need to replace that sprocket. The engines prior to mid 1996 had multi-piece sprockets, prone to failure. Seen more than one that grenaded the engine. One of the guys had a huge thread on here years ago - and he lived in Oz too.

The later stuff installs easily, plug-n-play.

Don't try to be a great man, just be a man, and let history make it's own decision

Be your own KLR650 GURU!
Old 09-12-2017, 11:31 PM   #6
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Phoenix, Az
Postings: 18,455
Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

Part numbers needed to upgrade...

Kawi Parts:
12046-1165 Sprocket upper/rear
92022-1880 Thrush washer - goes inside of the upper rear sprocket
13164-1007 Front lower sprocket/weight assembly
2ea 48052000 C clips
Old 09-13-2017, 01:38 AM   #7
BareBones

Thanks, I'm guessing it's some sort shock absorbing spring system built into the sprocket that they just decided to do away with in '96. and it's only the one with the counter weight on it, the other two are solid and can be left in place. The doo was the original and there is a couple of centimetres of the bottom rail broken off and still unaccounted for, I received my E.M. doohickey and coil spring kit #22519 today.

I my daily ride is an '04 A a lucky buy, the previous owner spent $ on it, then had to change his plans, got the bob the doo full Vance, jetted, every eagle mike add on available ect, runs great. I've since bought a cheap Tengai motor to practice on and have ready for when my motor finally needs refurbishing, Swap them over and keep riding whilst applying what I've learned to the other engine

If anyone is still reading I just want to say how much I love my KLR, my first bike brand new when I was 16 was a Z200 I had it 3yrs, my only transport, even took it to the UK with me and rode through two winters to and from work, all around Scotland, I loved that thing, since then I've owed 30 plus bikes from Shovels to a 900ss and FJR everything in between, now 40yrs later I've put 25k kms on my KLR over 20 mths and feel the joy I experienced on my first bike, that I never quite got from the others as I nip around and purr along with a little smile, on a simple solid Kwaka single, I feel I've come full circle.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:48 AM   #8
BareBones

Thanks for that Chuck, I didn't see the info until after I'd posted, it's all three sprockets, plus clips and a thrust washer, and I'm guessing the advice would be, 'really should replace the chain,' eeek I hope this project doesn't turn into a money pit!
Old 09-13-2017, 10:42 PM   #9
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Phoenix, Az
Postings: 18,455
Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BareBones View Post
Thanks for that Chuck, I didn't see the info until after I'd posted, it's all three sprockets, plus clips and a thrust washer, and I'm guessing the advice would be, 'really should replace the chain,' eeek I hope this project doesn't turn into a money pit!
I have never seen a worn out balancer chain...even with high mileage and worn out sprockets. Service manual walks you thru how to check but again...I've never seen it.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:41 PM   #10
BareBones

Cheers, that's good to hear. I've bought all three sprockets and guides from the USA off a 2016 low mileage bike being wrecked on ebay (mattmattmotorcycle) doing those and the doohickey reduces the likelihood of catastrophic failure, the rest should be a freshen up. I had my ear against it whilst it was running, before purchase, sounded smooth, the normal whirs and whooshing.
I really appreciate you sharing your experience, thanks
Sponsored links
Old 09-14-2017, 09:18 AM   #11
Eaglemike
LEVEL 3 STAFF

I've seen a few, but vary rare. Most of the wear is due to the rubber on the sprockets getting chewed by the chain. It wears a lot more when there is excess slack.

Be your own KLR650 GURU!
Old 09-14-2017, 06:18 PM   #12
BareBones

Another reason to install an Eagle Mike doohickey and torsion spring, as it will more than pay for itself over time and provide that priceless, peace of mind.
Sponsored links

Tags
balance, engine