SiteLock
Security Risks in Downloading Maps/Tracks - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Off The Beaten Path > GPS: Equipment, Tracks and Places > GPS: Places to ride and explore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
GPS: Places to ride and explore Make any tracks lately?

Old 02-27-2017, 10:53 AM   #1
R/L

Super Cool Since: May 2010
Locale: SW Michigan
Postings: 813
R/L is on a distinguished road
Default Security Risks in Downloading Maps/Tracks

I just purchased a Garmin GPSMAP 78 and have been learning about downloading maps/tracks from the several "free" sites out there.

What are the security risks (viruses, malware, etc) I need to be aware of?
Givi Crash Bars
Moab Shock
Moab Fork Spring
RaceTech Emulators
Sargent Low Seat
Thermo-Bob
WW 688
R/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:29 PM   #2
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jan 2012
Locale: Avoiding Dysentery
Postings: 277
Robert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to all
Default Re: Security Risks in Downloading Maps/Tracks

Probably low. It's a cost vs. benefit model. There aren't a whole lot of people who are downloading maps and gps tracks. So it makes little financial sense to write malware for such an activity.

So the FILES you get are probably going to be clean... wash them through a good, up to date antivirus scan of course.

Now let's talk about where your train may derail.

It is in the PROCESS of downloading. You don't KNOW that you're downloading maps, you COULD be downloading malware disguised as a map/track. Lovely little click, click, boom. How do you tell?

Stick with a reputable site.

Download only what is legal for you to have.

Wash everything thoroughly. (several free antivirus programs out there)

IF you're that concerned, there's more advanced ways of protecting yourself, such as sandboxing, downloading and inspecting in a linux distro, etc.
Blue KLR club member #243 Post a pic of your bike here, then pm me for membership. https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...light=blue+klr

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Robert Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-28-2017, 10:13 PM   #3
littlejon
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Mar 2007
Locale: Lofall, WA
Postings: 1,128
littlejon will become famous soon enough

As long as you are using a good antivirus program, you will be fine.

I use AVG free, and am very happy with it. It has warned me several times that the website I just clicked on is not trustworthy. It also regularly finds minor threats and removes them.

Quote:
Going online without antivirus software is rather like stripping naked, covering yourself in the stickiest honey and throwing yourself into an enormous nest of furious wasps. Twice.

AVG Antivirus Free is very good for home and small business users: not only does it scan file attachments and downloads, but it also scans web links to see if they’re dodgy..
https://www.techradar.com/news/downlo...antivirus-free

Last edited by littlejon; 02-28-2017 at 10:16 PM.
littlejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:46 AM   #4
WiRider
Not one of the experts.

Super Cool Since: Mar 2012
Locale: Madison WI
Postings: 2,493
WiRider has a spectacular aura aboutWiRider has a spectacular aura about

The GPS files are harmless, so no issue there. The problem is Windows and using a credit card or GOD FORBID doing your banking with windows!

KLR650.net is good enough for this info... I speak of it nowhere else than here just once and never again. I want you to know how to gain reasonable safety online, and believe it, so will also tell how come I know this, but I do not want to be bothered about it after. Believe or don't, means nothing to me. Did my part is enough.

Ubuntu Linux can be downloaded and put on a thumbdrive and you boot your windows computer up with that instead. You know the prompt at boot up, Hit F10 for boot menu (or ESC or whatever your puter says)... pick the usb thumbdrive with Ubuntu, it boots up to Ubuntu Linux. Looks vaguely like windows and you'll stumble a bit at first. You start the web browser and use it, direct network cable is easier than wireless and adds one more level of security, download your files to a second thumbdrive with space on it, then shutdown, remove thumbdrives, boot computer back to normal Windows. It's a bit clumsy but puts your safety way up.

Boot to windows, grab files from the usb stick you downloaded them to, you're back fully in windows. Proceed as normal.

Too difficult and clumsy? Yah.... valid and true complaint. How much credit line on your card? How much in savings? How much work did that take to get?

Second best is to have a cheap windows laptop that is reserved for JUST your online purchasing and stuff... not quite as secure though, but reasonable. Scan it constantly, regularly, and constantly, and regularly, and did I say regularly? And DO NOT USE IT FOR ANYTHING EXCEPT JUST THE BANK AND PURCHASE WEBSITES PERIOD. Not browsing the purchase website, JUST THE PURCHASE ITSELF. Brows on a different machine. Not repeating myself there, it's what it takes. Get a cheap laptop for this.

More certain solutions? Yes, there are some... but much more labor and skill needed and honestly too tiring and time consuming and STILL are unreliable so I don't bother with any of that myself, the Ubuntu is quite good enough IF you have the discipline to use it for ONLY your banking and purchases then shut it down. Find your purchases using windows, then with UBUNTU go do JUST the purchase. Hand type the URL in, and it's always HTTPS:// If you want one more layer of protection yet, just re-download and reload ubuntu on your usb stick regularly, but not really needed if you maintain your discipline. Once a yr reload is good enough, but if you learn how to do it it can be done in 15 minutes flat. There are attacks for Ubuntu too, but rare... the world is Windows. You wanna go fishing in pond with 3 fish or 300,000 swimming around? And in theory you go NOWHERE BUT the bank, and takes 15 minutes to make a whole new clean secure ubuntu thumbdrive every day if you like. Discipline. Your discipline here buys you security. Notice the repeating. It's called emphasis.

OK.. now why bother believing me.... just a putz really it seems...

My qualifications? Network Engineer since late '80s. Mid 90's Network Engineer and Manager of this State's Lottery Network. Governor had a statewide hiring freeze in effect, and they went to him and got his waiver to hire me. I'm one of the early "Cowboys" in IT. Only IT person they had or needed, built and programmed quarter million dollar firewall to secure and protect all wagers, complete replacement of all network hardware thrice in my years there due to new specs from above. Earned second a paycheck at same time doing same thing at same time for Indian Gaming Commission. VA also had me doing similar work some years later. And before all this was setting up Hospital OR networks. Also did all the IT and mechanical/electrical for the world's first pharmacy robotics system. The first prototype. Needed a network engineer that was certified welder, familiar with high power servo motors, electronics, pneumatics, hydraulics, vacuum... you name it. Interfaced it to hospital mainframe. Automated Healthcare was the company (gone now).... the work was at University Hospital. Handed me the prototype already built then flew back to Pittsburgh and left me working alone and told me huge bonus if got it serving 100% of patients in less than 12 mo. I did it in 3 mo. and hospital signed off totally delighted, but it took sleeping with the robot, literally. I had to be present 6x a day for every run. 4 for patient fills, 2 for refilling. Pharmacy staff took pity on me and gave me a cot for behind robot... I lived there. Thank gosh she's my ex now... but SHE HATED IT! All them university students I was working around. Evil eye and accusations from the ex... sigh... but Got THE JOB DONE! Flew to Pittsburgh, they stuttered about the bonus "we think we were wrong about 12 months... want you to skip it" ... forced it out of them and quit on the spot. Other guys following months behind me at other hospitals doing same with 2nd and later units kept calling me at home for help... and I did help every last bit asked... calls tapered off over 2 yrs, but none got it done in under 18 mo. Hundreds of them robots worldwide now. Each the size of a semi trailer and looks like a medevil torture chamber with spikes coming out of the walls everywhere holding meds in little plastic bags, robot running up and down center picking them out. Why was I so motivated? Saving your grandchildren now... robots don't accidentally pick a 500mg tab when doc ordered 50, but humans do sometimes and humans picking meds is all there was till then. Used to be a 2% death rate due to that back in the day of hand picking. Saving lives... I was HYPED!

Most of my employment has been Medical Devices. CT, Gamma Cameras, MRI, OR, Pax, etc, and tons of networking. Certified. Certified welder as well but think that's expired.

I built computers out of chips for a hobby back then. And I stay current today.

So when I tell ya you can be somewhat safe online and here's how to do it... be wise. We're in my field...

But here I'm in yours... and I need everything I can learn about the KLR. And help all I can.

Geek? Sure. No problem. Fact. Should I blush or something? ... nawww... RIDE!

Last edited by WiRider; 11-12-2017 at 06:15 AM.
WiRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:49 AM   #5
WiRider
Not one of the experts.

Ahhmmm.... Do not use that Ubuntu thumbdrive to INSTALL ubuntu on the laptop... It just boots up UBUNTU directly from the thumbdrive (Live Session), makes no changes to the computer's other drives at all, isn't using them. When you're done shopping, shut it down and remove thumb drive. When you power that machine back up it's back to windows as normal.

You can do this for the price of a thumbdrive, and it doesn't take a large one. It's all cheap cheap cheap.

RobertZ gave you the same suggestion. He's completely correct!

Last edited by WiRider; 11-13-2017 at 04:59 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:56 PM   #6
Small_life
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Aug 2017
Locale: Texas
Postings: 42
Small_life is on a distinguished road

The Linux Live cd suggestion is a good one.

I want to nitpick one thing. The GPS files themselves are harmless, but files that masquerade as something they are not can cause a lot of damage.

This tends to happen with ransomware and PDF's. You download a file, or have it emailed to you. Lets say its named FantasticFile.pdf. Looks harmless.

The problem is that is not its actual name. Its actual name is FantasticFile.pdf.exe and its a virus. The reason that it doesn't show the .exe is because most Windows computers have an option known as "hide extensions for known file types" turned on. This hides the .exe, making you think its a harmless PDF.

Turn off Hide Extensions for Known File Types: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ndows-explorer

The chance that this would happen with a GPX file is low, but could happen.

What I like to do with GPX files is go to mymaps.google.com, create a new map, then import the GPS file. I'm starting to get a decent library of maps that I can look at if I ever get the chance to take a few day trip. Since I'm not opening the file on my computer there's nothing to execute so it can't affect it. Also, its a Mac, sooooo.....

1988 Kawasaki KLR 650, engine replaced with a 2000 model year.

Blue KLR Club Member 346

Last edited by Small_life; 11-13-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Small_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:57 AM   #7
WiRider
Not one of the experts.

Mac is good for it, same reason as linux. Easier too!

Your windows tip helps a lot too.

Thanks.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:28 AM   #8
Small_life
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Aug 2017
Locale: Texas
Postings: 42
Small_life is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiRider View Post
Mac is good for it, same reason as linux. Easier too!

Your windows tip helps a lot too.

Thanks.
One of my clients got hit by cryptolocker. That was a nightmare.

1988 Kawasaki KLR 650, engine replaced with a 2000 model year.

Blue KLR Club Member 346
Small_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:16 AM   #9
WiRider
Not one of the experts.

I feel your/his/our pain... completely.

Came a day I realized that being in IT was like being the maintenance guy at one of those factories with thousands of glass windows... and right across the street is a public school.... and rocks lining the road on both sides... just totally hopeless to run around fixing windows anymore, no more fun, so I got out of IT and went back into biomedical engineering, my natural element, and a place where nobody is trying to break things. Much much happier.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:30 AM   #10
WiRider
Not one of the experts.

Look up the youtube video named:

Baptist Smart Medicine Clip 7D - Pharmacy Robot

Talking about the robot made me go look for vids of it. I made it on TV news for that work... was big thrill to videotape those TV news clips and send them home to Mom! Didn't keep a copy for myself though. Was hoping youtube had it. No dice, was 1992. Found a different video of it though.

McKesson bought the robot design when Automated Healthcare owners sold out once it was developed and $$$ they never had to work again.

Robot is used to pick meds for hospital inpatients. Everything is barcode based. Each med is in it's own barcoded plastic bag and it can big bags with up to a pint in it's own container.

Starting at 10 seconds it's running up and down "the cell" to pick inpatient meds and drop them in a barcoded tray on a conveyer at the far end, you can see the conveyor a bit. Next it shows them putting meds, each pill individually, in it's own barcoded plastic bag, and at 1:20 the refill cart of spikes is locked into the cell to be grabbed by the robot one at a time and put where they belong on the hundreds of metal spikes in "the cell". The reject tray is for barcodes it can't read, and there is another tray for expired meds (it has every last dose memorized). For this video they have the robot running at half speed because honestly you're filming from inside a med-evil torture chamber of hundreds of metal spikes sticking out at you from every wall, and that thing will crush you after impaling you on the spikes and has enough power that it won't even notice it killed you. Nobody is supposed to be in there filming.

Nearly killed me from just the 24/7 continual shift, got to see home maybe an hour a week. Students provided me a cot, I got to sleep behind the robot, which made wife ready to shoot me as totally convinced I was running off with all the cute pharmacy students she would see when stopping in to ... err.. check on my welfare. But hey, it's a teaching hospital, so look but don't touch, and we know geeks can't score anyways, right? sigh... not all fun...

I was incorrect saying it was the FIRST robot. I had the first one SOLD. The engineers had a prototype in Pittsburgh that they tested everything on but no techs ever got to touch it, just the engineers. I didn't even get to see it till they flew me there when I completed early. They followed my mods for every unit after, gave them all my CAD drawings/changes. But they wanted me to give up the bonus which was in writing, AND do 24/7 for the second unit in Minneapolis, AND drive back and forth daily taking care of both robots, AND no car must use my own, AND no gas allowance, no mileage, no expenses, no motel, would not even pay for parking ($800/mo at just one site, heaven knows what it was for the other!). Heh.... forced the bonus out of them and quit on the spot. Promised they would make me RICH and THAT I think they were actually honest about... But rich and dead wasn't gonna work.

Real highlight for me was when had to move Mom and Dad to assisted living moved them to this city, and had appointments at the hosp... it was years after I'd quit but the staff still knew me, and let me give Mom and Dad a special grand tour of the robot. Now, Dad's a way worse geek than I and in all the same fields... never good enough for him... but that's the day I finally made the grade by his standards. That's the kinda gold I hope everyone gets. They're gone now. About 1/4 the family are such geeks and experts, and a couple of fame. It's been a pain to try and "make the grade" but worth it.

Thank you for your patience and letting me tell... I got one more really hard thing to do and then I'm cut loose to go ride. And I will.

Last edited by WiRider; 11-19-2017 at 07:41 AM.
Sponsored links

Tags
downloading, maps or tracks, risks, security