SiteLock
General off roading questions - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Off The Beaten Path > Riding Technique
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Riding Technique Discuss riding technique, share riding secrets, or ask for tips

Old 07-10-2017, 08:23 AM   #1
Zz-
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2017
Locale: Somewhere!
Postings: 108
Zz- is on a distinguished road
Default General off roading questions

So I finally found some really decent trails hidden away in New Jersey. 3-8 foot sand whoops, clay and rock 60 degree climbs with some ledges up to a foot high, and some narrow trails for bikes.

I kind of ignored the small trails because dirt wasn't new or much of a challenge, but I really felt myself wrestling the bike on the sand. I'd be doing 30 and had to punt the ground a lot to keep the bike from high siding me. Is this normal? Could it be my tire?

Also crossing from soft or hard pack to loose sand seemed hard. I choose to lower speed by torquing through it. It seemed to work. Slowing down by braking was obviously a no. My rear tire nearly swung sideways the first time I tried that. Would more speed at high rpm work too?

I was also confused about crossing water. I did it very lightly, but it seemed too easy. I didn't go too deep. But what is a challenge on the KLR? I want to try going deeper.

Lastly, hill climbing seemed really difficult. The TKC 70 is no knobby but it is a good tire. It was clay and rock. Is that just something I need to gain speed for? I thought about it but rolling backwards five times dissuaded me.

Also cheers, I didn't dump the bike my first time gunning the trails Although I came within inches of many helmet seeking branches
Zz- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:15 PM   #2
mackamitsu
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2016
Locale: Thunder Bay Ontario Canada
Postings: 98
mackamitsu is on a distinguished road
Default Re: General off roading questions

You need a more aggressive tire, TKC's are good for very light offroading such as fire roads and such. There are a bunch of different tires that you can choose from. I'm a cheapskate, and bought shinko 244's
mackamitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-30-2017, 11:17 AM   #3
Glenn
Site Administrator
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Jun 2003
Locale: USA
Postings: 18,612
Glenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud of

Carry a small pump with you and air down your tires, how much you can air down depends on how much you weigh ect.
22PSI in the front and 28 rear is a good range unless you're a really big guy.

When riding sand get your butt up off the seat, move your body position slightly more toward the rear of the seat. Loosen your grip on the handlebars very slightly. This will allow the front end to float and prevent you from working against it, lowering your center of gravity by applying your weight on the pegs instead of the seat.

Look where you want to go.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:44 AM   #4
Zz-
A Regular

As per the tires, it's my commuter. I run it sideways and fast (FAST) so the 70's are the best I can do unless there is a better 60/40 recommendation. Maybe find me some cheap aftermarket rims and wrench before I go instead.

As per tire pressure: I already keep my tires around there for the road. Should it be higher? I have to dampen death wobble constantly at 85-90+ which may be related. I do spontaneously investigate trails too so is it a good balance?

As per standing on the pegs: I'll try that asap. That sounds like a great idea actually. Come to think of it, on the whoops I somewhat did that and miraculously my handling went very smooth.
What if I have to make an emergency adjustment? Drop to the seat and kick still?
Old 08-15-2017, 02:57 PM   #5
C5dad

Super Cool Since: Aug 2015
Locale: Arizona
Postings: 263
C5dad is on a distinguished road

be sure to be on the balls of your feet, knees bent to absorb bumps and elbows out in an attach position. Staying fluid is the key.

Cheers

Corbin Seat w upgraded seat pad, EM Fork Brace w/ Acerbis fender, Cogent Moab and front springs, USB and 12 v accessory outlet; Cee Bailey windsheld; MC Mod; deCalifornicated; upcoming 685 kit.
C5dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:21 AM   #6
Zz-
A Regular

Don't worry.. New Jersey potholes truly have beaten that into me . Before that my back hurt terribly for a month
Old 08-18-2017, 02:13 PM   #7
DPelletier
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Aug 2010
Locale: Kelowna B.C.
Postings: 6,308
DPelletier will become famous soon enoughDPelletier will become famous soon enough

it would take a novel to explain it all but generally; set up the bike properly, wear proper gear, stand up and go.....speed and momentum are your friends in almost any challenging offroad situation....but be careful and don't ride too far over your abilities (and perhaps not alone).

Skid plate, bark busters and some sort of rad protection. Decent tires: I like my D606 rear, MT21 front combo and run them at 22psi front and rear, on and offroad (too lazy to bother adjusting up and down every time)

Cheers,
Dave
twins; 2000 & 2001 KLR's: Cogent suspension, 320mm rotor+SV calipers, IMS tanks+ tankvest, Knight designs pegs, Anti-gravity batteries, Renthal bars, MT21 and D606 tires, FMF Q4 and LeoVince X3, ...and most everything that Eaglemike makes! :-)
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:57 AM   #8
Zz-
A Regular

I'm definitely looking into better gear. I got my first set cheap as cheap can get. It works but also works against me. And the skid plate is on the list. I swear I bottomed out on a road of all things and cracked two of the mounting points. I fixed them with a cheap epoxy job but yeah, that thing was a one and done. Also my hand guards have hit everything. They look like hell. I'm keeping them for that KLR feel
Old 08-19-2017, 10:40 AM   #9
PittsDriver

Super Cool Since: Sep 2014
Locale: Annapolis MD
Postings: 699
PittsDriver is on a distinguished road

In the gnarly stuff and especially soft deep sand or gravel, go only as fast as you want to be going when the dirt nap ensues.

Seriously, in deep soft stuff you just want to keep the bike moving with the back wheel churning the sand and not throwing a big roost. Light on the bars and let the bike dance around a bit steering it with peg weighting. and most importantly, keep your eyes up and way out in front of you - not looking at the ground you're about to plow.

Ditto on the D606, MT-21 combo. It's worked well for me for the last 7,000 miles of off-road and I'm putting on a fresh set for my ride in a couple of weeks that's going to include about 500 miles of soft sand in south Alabama, the panhandle of Florida, and south Georgia.
'16 KTM 1290 R Super Duke (for my inner hooligan)
PittsDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:05 AM   #10
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Phoenix, Az
Postings: 18,550
Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

I find 'when in doubt...gas it' and be sure and close your eyes for the really scary stuff. Works for me...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KLRCokeOvens (1).jpg (146.8 KB, 21 views)
Sponsored links
Old 08-20-2017, 10:14 AM   #11
PittsDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck B View Post
I find 'when in doubt...gas it' and be sure and close your eyes for the really scary stuff. Works for me...
That's a very cool photo. There have been a few really steep steps on some of our rides but nothing quite that, ah, impressive.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:20 AM   #12
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

KTM behind me decided to bull dog it down. What was impressive was the KTM that was in front of me...he went down it on his KTM Adv

That was my first ride on my KLR so I didn't know its capability...not much but more than I expected.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 950CokeOvens.jpg (107.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Hillsamer990.jpg (161.8 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Chuck B; 08-20-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Chuck B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:03 AM   #13
PittsDriver

Quote:
KTM behind me decided to bull dog it down. What was impressive was the KTM that was in front of me...he went down it on his KTM Adv

That was my first ride on my KLR so I didn't know its capability...not much but more than I expected.
In those moments I sometimes say to myself "Just commit to it!"

I think the bike handles it pretty darn well considering the cost of the components that go in to it.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:48 PM   #14
DanBarwick

Super Cool Since: Jun 2014
Locale: Independence, Kansas
Postings: 985
DanBarwick is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Good god, that second pic is intense.

2009 KLR, EM 685 kit, full Cogent treatment, goes anywhere
2005 Yamaha TW200, actually this is the one that REALLY goes anywhere
1999 BMW r1100rt, a true continent crusher
DanBarwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:54 PM   #15
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBarwick View Post
Good god, that second pic is intense.
I'll assume you are talking about the KTM Super Enduro being bull dogged? I think the camera person wasn't quite 'level' with his camera. It was steep for a KLR but the pic seems to make it steeper. At the time I had no KLR ride experience and on a dirt bike that drop off would barely register a 2nd thought. When I landed the front tire at the bottom the upper triples creaked and groaned in protest. Didn't help that the front forks were already bottomed before I dropped off lol.

Last edited by Chuck B; 08-20-2017 at 10:56 PM.
Chuck B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:54 AM   #16
DPelletier
LEVEL 3 STAFF

DPelletier will become famous soon enoughDPelletier will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
I think the bike handles it pretty darn well considering the cost of the components that go in to it.
Yep; a few careful upgrades (suspension and brakes) and the KLR surprises alot of people......I had zero issues keeping up with and usually outriding much more expensive bikes on the last event I entered. The KLR's dirt DNA is old and buried under girth and budget components.....but it IS under there if you dig a bit!

Dave
twins; 2000 & 2001 KLR's: Cogent suspension, 320mm rotor+SV calipers, IMS tanks+ tankvest, Knight designs pegs, Anti-gravity batteries, Renthal bars, MT21 and D606 tires, FMF Q4 and LeoVince X3, ...and most everything that Eaglemike makes! :-)
Old 08-23-2017, 09:06 PM   #17
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
Yep; a few careful upgrades (suspension and brakes) and the KLR surprises alot of people......I had zero issues keeping up with and usually outriding much more expensive bikes on the last event I entered. The KLR's dirt DNA is old and buried under girth and budget components.....but it IS under there if you dig a bit!

Dave
Perfectly said! Back in early 80's the KLR was quite the DS bike of the time. Nothing came close. Always interesting to read those old reviews and how they raved about the brakes. First time I rode a Gen1 I was in fear of my life at how horrible the front brakes performed. I was riding back in those days and just dont remember how truly bad they were.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:01 AM   #18
DPelletier
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Quote:
Perfectly said! Back in early 80's the KLR was quite the DS bike of the time. Nothing came close. Always interesting to read those old reviews and how they raved about the brakes. First time I rode a Gen1 I was in fear of my life at how horrible the front brakes performed. I was riding back in those days and just dont remember how truly bad they were.
I remember thinking the drum brakes on my 1982 RM250Z worked great! ...didn't know any better.

Dave
Old 08-24-2017, 11:14 AM   #19
Zz-
A Regular

Well. I wish we had cool terrain like that. But Jersey does have lots of sand.
Sponsored links

Tags
general, questions, roading