SiteLock
Field tested my Badlands gear and Schuberth E-1 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Off The Beaten Path > Gear Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Gear Discussion Gear for you and your ride

Old 08-02-2017, 11:54 AM   #1
sagerat

Super Cool Since: Aug 2007
Locale: Bend, OR
Postings: 985
sagerat is a jewel in the roughsagerat is a jewel in the roughsagerat is a jewel in the rough
Default Field tested my Badlands gear and Schuberth E-1

Greetings,
I'll give specifics later, but I got to enjoy about a 20-25 mph high side while riding my '09 R1200 GSA on a rural highway about two weeks ago, courtesy of a rental van. First road crash in 18 years and 125,000 to 150,000 miles of riding.

Landed on right shoulder and rolled, ending up in seated position facing the guard rail. Klim Badlands jacket and Badlands pants did their job. I ended up with just a broken left wrist, small strawberry on right elbow, sore ribs on right side, and bruises on right hip. Jacket has hole near right bicep, but otherwise is in perfect shape. Pants are equally fine. Klim gloves were equally unmarred; I got a small abrasion on my top of my left wrist about where the buckle cinches.

Broken wrist, I believe, came courtesy of Beemer's left handguard which I knocked a piece off of with my left hand while Elvis was leaving the motorcycle. The bruised ribs are probably a combo of 1) carrying my Otter Box encased iPhone in my jacket's right breast pocket and 2) hitting the asphalt with my right side and back.

Schuberth E-1 no longer has the plastic visor and my Sena 20S flew off its mount as I landed on back of the helmet, between the neck and lower third of helmet. But other than a sore neck, no head injuries. No concussion; Sena reattached to mount and still works.

GSA was rideable and I was functional, so rode the 1,200 miles home with a borrowed set of larger gloves due to swelling in left hand, which looked like it belong to Muhammad Ali it was so black and blue.

Gear is good.
'17 KLR 650
'09 BMW R1200GS Adventure
"Ride as much as you can until you can't because that day will come."
sagerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:40 PM   #2
JeffsDarkSide
Wait, what?

Super Cool Since: Apr 2012
Locale: LA / NGA
Postings: 1,750
JeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura aboutJeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura aboutJeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Field tested my Badlands gear and Schuberth E-1

Dang!! Glad you came out with just what you did and nothing worse. Also glad your equipment worked as we all hope it would.........worth every penny!! Did the van stop and assist or drive off??

Here is to a speedy recovery and someone else paying all your expenses!!

Last edited by JeffsDarkSide; 08-02-2017 at 12:42 PM.
JeffsDarkSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-02-2017, 04:59 PM   #3
sagerat

sagerat is a jewel in the roughsagerat is a jewel in the roughsagerat is a jewel in the rough

Van stopped and we performed our motorist duties of exchanging insurance info. We also yakked about motorcycles in general and what types one of the van's passenger used to own.

I've never met an actual Zundap owner before.
'17 KLR 650
Old 08-05-2017, 11:22 PM   #4
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Phoenix, Az
Postings: 18,550
Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

Glad you walked/rode away. Happen here in AZ?
Old 08-06-2017, 09:52 PM   #5
sagerat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck B View Post
Glad you walked/rode away. Happen here in AZ?
Nope, southern Utah after a night of camping at Lake Foul, er, Powell. Still made it to the North Rim after the crash.
'17 KLR 650
Sponsored links

Tags
badlands, field, gear, schuberth, tested