SiteLock
Danger very close to home. - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Off The Beaten Path > Accidents, Crashes, and Close-calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Accidents, Crashes, and Close-calls Post-incident report, analysis and discussion aimed at increasing safety

Old 08-08-2017, 04:14 AM   #1
parallax

Super Cool Since: Oct 2013
Locale: Mid Carolina
Postings: 369
parallax is on a distinguished road
Default Danger very close to home.

Guys, there is a T intersection less than 300' from my driveway and I cannot count how many times cagers (some most likely my neighbors) have pulled out in front of me as I'm about to get home. From the photos I'm posting you can see that the intersection is in a curve which enables a sense of being able to see as they approach the stop sign coming in from the left. I sit on my porch most afternoons and see near accidents and 80% of the drivers not stopping at the stop sign. Some travel through it at what appears to be 20-30 mph. It's terribly unsafe.

Coming home from work I approach the intersections from the direction I took this pics from.

My point is that it is very true when statistics show most accidents happen very close to where you live. I just hope to survive to get into my driveway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9AEDD684DCFA29E4EAF9205EE313847A.jpg (85.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 28C04DC9D44DE82F103D615F7AAFF758.jpg (130.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 60BE2C93AA01D23D6BDA8C9C84582270.jpg (48.9 KB, 41 views)

2012 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom (for sale)
parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:41 AM   #2
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jan 2012
Locale: Avoiding Dysentery
Postings: 226
Robert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to all
Default Re: Danger very close to home.

Statistics are not to be trusted.

The reason most accidents happen close to home, is that you spend most of your time close to home.

When you adjust for that, you're no more likely to have a wreck close to home than you are away from it.

Ok, that pet peeve addressed isn't there something the county could do to address this?

I've seen solar/battery operated stop signs that flash...
Blue KLR club member #243 Post a pic of your bike here, then pm me for membership. https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...light=blue+klr

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Robert Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-08-2017, 05:01 AM   #3
parallax

It's not that they do not see the stop sign that they run it, they run it due to the shape of the intersection and they don't care to take the time to drive safely.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:38 AM   #4
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jan 2012
Locale: Avoiding Dysentery
Postings: 226
Robert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to all

Then the answer is simple, it requires a motion detector, 30 feet of wire, a solar panel, a battery (car), and a rail gun...

See? Easy!
Blue KLR club member #243 Post a pic of your bike here, then pm me for membership. https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...light=blue+klr

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Robert Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:23 AM   #5
Dryer

Super Cool Since: Aug 2013
Locale: Texas
Postings: 557
Dryer has a spectacular aura aboutDryer has a spectacular aura aboutDryer has a spectacular aura about

We have two intersections like that, one at the end of my street, the other on the same main street coming out of my neighborhood about a 1/2 mile away. Both intersections are technically "blind" due to a brick sound wall. Some cars slink into the intersection in order to see what's coming, putting them in the way. Others blithely slide past the stop sign onto the main road and chance it. There have been collisions and deaths....on a 30 mph main road!
30 years of living here have made me move into the left lane, if clear, to give me a little distance cushion.
The second my butt hits that bike seat, an imaginary "I'm invisible" switch gets flipped. I expect NOTHING from other drivers.

I will say, with my hi-viz yellow gear, white helmet, and headlight modulator, people rarely pull out in front of me. I also do the "weave" when approaching occupied cross streets and intersections. I figure tipping the "statistics" in my favor can't hurt.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:06 AM   #6
parallax

I think white helmets add to our being noticed somewhat. But folks will still pull out in front of my 5,500 lb white Chevy Suburban too. Some folks just don't need to be behind the wheel.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:28 PM   #7
C5dad

Super Cool Since: Aug 2015
Locale: Arizona
Postings: 256
C5dad is on a distinguished road

I vote a portable missile launcher!

Corbin Seat w upgraded seat pad, EM Fork Brace w/ Acerbis fender, Cogent Moab and front springs, USB and 12 v accessory outlet; Cee Bailey windsheld; MC Mod; deCalifornicated; upcoming 685 kit.
C5dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:48 PM   #8
packnrat

Super Cool Since: Apr 2015
Locale: in them hills.
Postings: 305
packnrat is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Danger very close to home.

i was told most accidents are within 5 miles of my home... so i moved.

peps get way to far into there "safe" space of there cages. watch out.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:09 AM   #9
mackamitsu
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2016
Locale: Thunder Bay Ontario Canada
Postings: 98
mackamitsu is on a distinguished road

one of the county mounties would love a new honey hole for stop sign tickets
mackamitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links