SiteLock
Perseid Meteor Shower - right now - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum! > Off The Beaten Path > Off-Topic Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Hello, welcome back.
Off-Topic Discussion All other topics

Old 08-12-2017, 01:05 AM   #1
WiRider
Not one of the experts.

Super Cool Since: Mar 2012
Locale: Madison WI
Postings: 2,273
WiRider has a spectacular aura aboutWiRider has a spectacular aura about
Default Perseid Meteor Shower - right now

It is Friday 8/11 (right now), and I stepped out in the yard, in the city, and in just 10 minutes caught a good fireball.

This year Friday and Sunday nights you can catch them, with Saturday night till Sunday sunrise being the peak of this year's display, in an hour you should be able to catch 15 or 20 good ones inside the city... but lotta you can get out where it's dark, and the closer to sunrise you can stay up the better the display gets as the Earth turns to take them head-on. Each is about the size of a grain of sand, but rumor is this year we may stand a chance of catching a stream of pebble-sized perseids that will be more impressive than the usual.

Perseids are the one meteor shower each year with good fireballs. There was one display back in early 90's with 8-9 visible every minute. This year it's one good one every couple minutes.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:25 PM   #2
C5dad

Super Cool Since: Aug 2015
Locale: Arizona
Postings: 237
C5dad is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Perseid Meteor Shower - right now

My fav meteor shower of the year. Unfortunately, monsoon season clouds blocked the view last night. Let's see if the clearing sky holds.

Corbin Seat w upgraded seat pad, EM Fork Brace w/ Acerbis fender, Cogent Moab and front springs, USB and 12 v accessory outlet; Cee Bailey windsheld; MC Mod; deCalifornicated; upcoming 685 kit.
C5dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-14-2017, 09:39 AM   #3
SCREAMINSAL
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jul 2010
Locale: Prison
Postings: 1,486
SCREAMINSAL will become famous soon enoughSCREAMINSAL will become famous soon enough

I was up in the Sequoia forest riding my DRZ with a good friend and we both were entertained by the constant shower... 1 every 10 minutes. Both unaware it was the Perseids! Soooooo cool to be in the most beautiful place, watching the show from 9000 feet!

Hank you for your post! I'll be sure to pass on the thread....

Last edited by SCREAMINSAL; 08-14-2017 at 09:40 AM.
SCREAMINSAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:12 PM   #4
C5dad

Super Cool Since: Aug 2015
Locale: Arizona
Postings: 237
C5dad is on a distinguished road

Well, I got to watch lightning! This is THE event that got me hooked on astronomy and an expensive hobby.

Cheers

Corbin Seat w upgraded seat pad, EM Fork Brace w/ Acerbis fender, Cogent Moab and front springs, USB and 12 v accessory outlet; Cee Bailey windsheld; MC Mod; deCalifornicated; upcoming 685 kit.
C5dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
meteor, perseid, shower