SiteLock
Smoky Mountain 500 / 1000 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Ride Reports, Photo & Video > Ride Reports & Trip Planning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Ride Reports & Trip Planning Are you ready for some great riding and adventure stories!?

Old 07-27-2017, 09:54 AM   #1
PittsDriver

Super Cool Since: Sep 2014
Locale: Annapolis MD
Postings: 724
PittsDriver is on a distinguished road
Default Smoky Mountain 500 / 1000

Anyone here done either of these rides? I'm thinking about jumping off into the Smokys next month for a few days of riding and would love to hear any first hand impressions or local knowledge about the route/tracks.

BTW, if you look for these rides online, they are labeled "Smokey Mountain 500." Apparently they didn't know how the name of the mountains is spelled.
'16 KTM 1290 R Super Duke (for my inner hooligan)
PittsDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:18 PM   #2
JeffsDarkSide
Wait, what?

Super Cool Since: Apr 2012
Locale: LA / NGA
Postings: 1,783
JeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura aboutJeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura aboutJeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Smoky Mountain 500 / 1000

I have ridden almost all of the trails in Ga and some in the TN Big Frog area. Not too sure over by Mountain City as I tend to get confused over there! Now I wasn't specifically running the Smoky Mountain 500 but since we have a place up there near Ellijay/Blue Ridge, I have the opportunity to run around a lot up there.

Overall the GA roads and trails on the SM500 map are pretty easy. Pretty easy meaning for an average rider with average skills like myself. Depending on recent weather it can all change.

Most of what i see (on a map I cannot zoom in on) are decent gravel roads, paved back roads and very little single track. If you can post a GPS track file for me to input into my GAIA system I can lay it on top of all my previous routes and give more detail.

Probably much better resources than myself are guys like Cherokee Chuck, John Randall, Jerry Atrick who run up there way more than I do.

Last edited by JeffsDarkSide; 07-27-2017 at 12:20 PM.
JeffsDarkSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-27-2017, 12:49 PM   #3
PittsDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffsDarkSide View Post
I have ridden almost all of the trails in Ga and some in the TN Big Frog area. Not too sure over by Mountain City as I tend to get confused over there! Now I wasn't specifically running the Smoky Mountain 500 but since we have a place up there near Ellijay/Blue Ridge, I have the opportunity to run around a lot up there.

Overall the GA roads and trails on the SM500 map are pretty easy. Pretty easy meaning for an average rider with average skills like myself. Depending on recent weather it can all change.

Most of what i see (on a map I cannot zoom in on) are decent gravel roads, paved back roads and very little single track. If you can post a GPS track file for me to input into my GAIA system I can lay it on top of all my previous routes and give more detail.

Probably much better resources than myself are guys like Cherokee Chuck, John Randall, Jerry Atrick who run up there way more than I do.

Here's a link to the page on ADVrider that has the GPX track download:

https://advrider.com/index.php?threa...-1000.1233049/

https://advrider.com/index.php?thread...#post-22533668

Thanks for looking at it!

Wes

Last edited by PittsDriver; 07-27-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:44 PM   #4
JeffsDarkSide
Wait, what?

JeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura aboutJeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura aboutJeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura about

Those links just are not connecting and giving me errors. I think ADV Rider is having issues. I will try to remember to check when I get home.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:57 PM   #5
PittsDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffsDarkSide View Post
Those links just are not connecting and giving me errors. I think ADV Rider is having issues. I will try to remember to check when I get home.
That's weird, I just downloaded those tracks this morning. Thanks again for looking at them and I'd really appreciate any local knowledge on where the more gnarly tracks are located, any don't-miss places (eats, camping, etc) and any place that might be recently impassable.

Wes
Old 07-27-2017, 06:33 PM   #6
JeffsDarkSide
Wait, what?

Even here at home it says site can't be reached!! GAH!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2017, 12:44 PM   #7
PittsDriver

Change of plans. Instead of making a week of it riding in the Smokys, we're going to do a loop around Georgia on the SouthEastern Adventure Trail (SEAT) or what was formerly called the TransEastern Trail - South (TET-S).

It ain't no Alpine Loop in the Rockies or a week in the Four Corners are of the SouthWestern US, but it should be an entertaining and sometimes challenging ride depending on the weather and a few optional challenge tracks we may ride. It'll also be interesting to see if the 'gators and wild boar are more of a threat/nuisance than the bears have been on our other rides. Does anyone know if bear mace works on gators? Wild boar?

I should have lots of video and photos of riding in deep soft sand by the time we get back from this trip.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:25 AM   #8
OBX650

Super Cool Since: Oct 2016
Locale: Beaufort, NC
Postings: 101
OBX650 is on a distinguished road

Looking for some input on the Smoky Mountain 500 or any other 400-800 mile dual sport loops in the NC,SC, and TN area.

I too started to read about the SM500 on ADV. Looks like a really fun loop for a long weekend on a KLR.

Who has done the loop?
Where did you start/ setup base camp on day 1?
Anyone ever stayed at the Ironhorse Lodge?

My friend and I have been hot on making a bike-packing trip for some time. We have drooled over the TAT for 3-5 years. But with both of us in very stable careers with families, a 3-5 day trip is much more realistic than a 3-5 week trip.

Thanks in advance for any experiences.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:33 AM   #9
PittsDriver

We're going to ride some of it in early September and will let you know. But I'll also say that we rode the TAT from end to end without being away from home more than 11 days at a time. We did it in two phases: Andrews to Moab and then Moab to Port Orford.
Sponsored links

Tags
1000, 500, mountain, smoky