SiteLock
Nails in tires - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 First Generation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR650 First Generation 1987-2007 Related Topics

Old 08-12-2017, 10:25 AM   #1
donA
donA AKA Bad Rash

Super Cool Since: Nov 2010
Locale: Placerville calif.
Postings: 2,030
donA will become famous soon enough
Default Nails in tires

We all have had nails and screws in our tires, I can understand short nails , but a 16 penny nail buried all the way straight in? Had to ride home about 8 miles on a rear flat and found the nail and was surprised when pulling it out, It just kept coming....
Old 08-12-2017, 12:58 PM   #2
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Phoenix, Az
Postings: 18,693
Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Nails in tires

Those typically don't cause damage to the tire core. Patch your tube/new tube or if no tube inside patch and ride! I've had 3 or 4 3/8" bolts in rear tires...
Sponsored links
Old 08-12-2017, 06:16 PM   #3
donA
donA AKA Bad Rash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck B View Post
Those typically don't cause damage to the tire core. Patch your tube/new tube or if no tube inside patch and ride! I've had 3 or 4 3/8" bolts in rear tires...
Tube was a total Loss a 3" tear. 3/8" bolts ?
That's a new one for me.

Last edited by donA; 08-12-2017 at 06:18 PM.
donA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:24 PM   #4
C5dad

Super Cool Since: Aug 2015
Locale: Arizona
Postings: 278
C5dad is on a distinguished road

On my truck I took half a pair of pliers through my tire once. A Llanteria was able to put enough plugs in the hole to get me home since it was a late Friday afternoon. And of course this happened right after my 1 year warranty expired (first and last time I don't buy tire insurance for $450 tires!)

Corbin Seat w upgraded seat pad, EM Fork Brace w/ Acerbis fender, Cogent Moab and front springs, USB and 12 v accessory outlet; Cee Bailey windsheld; MC Mod; deCalifornicated; upcoming 685 kit.
C5dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:07 PM   #5
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5dad View Post
On my truck I took half a pair of pliers through my tire once. A Llanteria was able to put enough plugs in the hole to get me home since it was a late Friday afternoon. And of course this happened right after my 1 year warranty expired (first and last time I don't buy tire insurance for $450 tires!)
Our GapVax took a 6" piece of angle iron a couple weeks ago. Went thru the outside tire, thru the inner side wall and cut the side wall of the tire next to it. Both tires were $450ea then to get a truck out with tools to change it cost me another $300. Really sad part was all 12 rear tires were replaced in March. All had less than 500 miles on them.

Last edited by Chuck B; 08-12-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Chuck B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:47 PM   #6
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jan 2012
Locale: Avoiding Dysentery
Postings: 370
Robert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to all

Driving up to Flagstaff, years ago... heard something funny, pulled over...

It was a fork.

Sucker was in deep, but luckily didn't go all the way through.

A fork...
Blue KLR club member #243 Post a pic of your bike here, then pm me for membership. https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...light=blue+klr

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Robert Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:31 AM   #7
donA
donA AKA Bad Rash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Z View Post
Driving up to Flagstaff, years ago... heard something funny, pulled over...

It was a fork.

Sucker was in deep, but luckily didn't go all the way through

A fork...
You got forked... I've had all kinds of metal impale my truck , trailers and car tires .First time a 16 penny nail in my bike tire. Plenty in my truck tires going to the dump usually a bent one through the sidewalls.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:09 PM   #8
hb2301

Super Cool Since: Apr 2011
Locale: Columbia, MO
Postings: 99
hb2301 is on a distinguished road

Somehow ran over a valve stem and it impaled itself in the middle of my truck tire. Unfortunately, it didn't have a core. Deflated that tire real quick!
Old 08-13-2017, 10:57 PM   #9
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Thats a new one!
Old 08-14-2017, 10:38 PM   #10
clogan

Super Cool Since: Dec 2010
Locale: Ooltewah, Tennessee
Postings: 767
clogan is a jewel in the roughclogan is a jewel in the roughclogan is a jewel in the rough

Open end/box end wrench speared a rear tire on my Corvette once. Immediate deflation! Limped 3 miles on my run flats to a gas station, with the box end of the wrench whap-whap-whapping against my fenderwell the whole way. Had to replace rear tires, and fender liner. At least I got a new wrench outta the deal!
2016 KTM Superduke GT
clogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-25-2017, 06:17 AM   #11
packnrat

Super Cool Since: Apr 2015
Locale: in them hills.
Postings: 306
packnrat is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Nails in tires

i once ran over such but rusty. on my mt bike. went through both the tire and tube twice, (tread and sidewall) and sealed up at both puncture points.

i am very good at destroying tires. not the first such tire destroyed in such a way (truck, cage, moto bike, pedal bike).

if it stays at least semi sealed till you get to where you can safety fix the flat, you are miles ahead of the game.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:44 AM   #12
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jan 2012
Locale: Avoiding Dysentery
Postings: 370
Robert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by clogan View Post
Open end/box end wrench speared a rear tire on my Corvette once. Immediate deflation! Limped 3 miles on my run flats to a gas station, with the box end of the wrench whap-whap-whapping against my fenderwell the whole way. Had to replace rear tires, and fender liner. At least I got a new wrench outta the deal!
OMG, tell me you still have the wrench...

You will be placed among my heroes if you do...
Blue KLR club member #243 Post a pic of your bike here, then pm me for membership. https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...light=blue+klr

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Robert Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
nails, tires