SiteLock
TENT 2 moto camping solo - wich one? (minimum screened area) - Page 2 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Ride Reports, Photo & Video > Ride Reports & Trip Planning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Ride Reports & Trip Planning Are you ready for some great riding and adventure stories!?

Old 07-09-2017, 06:42 PM   #21
PittsDriver

Super Cool Since: Sep 2014
Locale: Annapolis MD
Postings: 681
PittsDriver is on a distinguished road
Default Re: TENT 2 moto camping solo - wich one? (minimum screened a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
Cheap tents don't last as long, but when you can buy 6 $50 tents for the same as 1 $300 tent, you don't care when they get ripped or whatever. Can of silicon spray, which I would do even for a $300 tent and good to go.

8bit
I'm always willing to learn something new. What do you do when you're a couple of days into a 2 week adventure ride and your tent is FUBAR and leaks on you every time it rains? When you wake up in the middle of the night and everything you had laying on the floor of your tent is wet?

It's not just how long they last. Cheap tents weigh a lot more, don't pack up nearly as small, and don't pitch and put away as easily as the ultralight backpacking stuff out there. $300? I wish. A Big Agnes UL3 will set you back about $460 and if you like a roomy 4 man tent, the UL4 is about $650.

I said it in my previous post, if you don't use it much or maybe only use it for one night when you know the weather's fine and you can afford the weigh and space then it makes perfect sense why you don't get why a premium tent is worth it. If you're going to live in it for a couple of weeks and your quality rest and comfort depends on your camping gear, then I still maintain it's a proper value. What's it cost to stay in hotels for a couple of weeks when you were planning on tent camping? Or taking the time to go find another $50 tent when you could have been riding some trails?
'16 KTM 1290 R Super Duke (for my inner hooligan)
PittsDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:50 PM   #22
Granteezie
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Apr 2008
Locale: Camano Island, Wa
Postings: 2,156
Granteezie is on a distinguished road

https://www.rei.com/product/878520/r...me-2-plus-tent
Granteezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:55 PM   #23
dtedwards
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jan 2016
Locale: Juneau, AK
Postings: 205
dtedwards is on a distinguished road

I hate cheap tents. They are heavy, a pain in the ass to set up/ break down, and don't last. I would love to get a super high-tech and lightweight tent in the $400 range, but I've gotten really great results with a couple tents from Kelty that run in the $150-$200 range. The REI Quarterdome is also a good not-stupid-expensive option but I personally don't like its pole arrangement.

I cant't justify saving a few ounces to go from $200 to $400, but I can justify going from $50 to $200 to save a full pound, have ease-of-use, and durability.
'04 in "standard" Bedliner Black, ammo cans, EM Doohickey & Torsion Spring, EM fork brace, Top Gun 8Kg spring, Dirtracks crashbars, valves @ max spec, advanced exhaust timing... and a $40 Craigslist guitar
dtedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:25 PM   #24
8bit

Postings: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
it makes perfect sense why you don't get why a premium tent is worth it.
Back away from the coffee. You're putting words in my mouth and making it personal. I totally understand the value of good gear. One size does not fit all. YMMV.

You're painting a worst case scenario, when the actuality is somewhere in the middle. If I thought the tent I was using on a particular event would not do, I would up grade it. I've had high end tents leak, particularly when something is touching the inside of the tent in an extended weather event. That's why I always double coat any tent with silicon spray.

Best,
8bit
Old 07-09-2017, 08:21 PM   #25
PittsDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
Back away from the coffee. You're putting words in my mouth and making it personal. I totally understand the value of good gear. One size does not fit all. YMMV.
Thanks for your gracious response. I should have said that it makes sense why some people might not value a more premium choice and not worded that in a way that made it seem personal. You're absolutely right that one size does not fit all and that's the point that I tried to make, poorly. My bad.

Now, back to tents... That BA Copper Spur UL2 that's in the photos has been used pretty hard for the last 5 years and although there's nothing wrong with it now, I'm wondering if I'm on borrowed time for the internal bungees on the pole system or having it spring a leak. I've done absolutely nothing to it in scores of overnights in it. I'm also thinking that I might like a little more room in a tent for my future rides. I may be taking some more relaxed rides were I might could afford spending a day napping in it or working on the 'puter instead of packing it up and riding in the rain.

Funny story - I met a guy in Colorado who was running the TAT in his 4 place Razor with his dog, 10 man tent, a generator, and a bunch of furniture including a flat screen TV. If it was sketchy weather, he told me he just moved his campsite inside the tent and watched DVDs or played video games all day. He was a guy that sold his body shop business that he'd owned all his adult life and was not touring the country on his Razor. Geez, I thought I packed a lot.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:31 PM   #26
dtedwards
A Regular

Pitts-

If you look online you can get new poles: either made to your specifications, or individual pole parts from a bunch of different places. If you have concerns about your current setup it might be a good idea to pick up a couple extra ferrules and a couple lengths of shockcord.
'04 in "standard" Bedliner Black, ammo cans, EM Doohickey & Torsion Spring, EM fork brace, Top Gun 8Kg spring, Dirtracks crashbars, valves @ max spec, advanced exhaust timing... and a $40 Craigslist guitar
Old 07-11-2017, 04:17 PM   #27
Jim(tm)

Super Cool Since: Jul 2007
Locale: Bremerton, WA
Postings: 358
Jim(tm) is on a distinguished road

I use a Eureka timberline. It's a proven design that's been around for decades and replacement parts are easy to come by. The A-frame design means there's a little less room higher up but the steep sides keep the rain rolling off, and the rain fly stands a good distance out from the tent. I've never had mine leak through the top. The doors on either side can be zipped fully open for a nice draft or fully shut and there's no mesh other than in the doors. They're a little heavy, but they're also very rugged.

https://www.eurekacamping.com/tents/...-2-person-tent
Old 07-17-2017, 01:53 AM   #28
RT66KLR

Super Cool Since: Apr 2014
Locale: Southeast Arizona
Postings: 284
RT66KLR is on a distinguished road

One word.....Redverz
RT66KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:17 AM   #29
PittsDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT66KLR View Post
One word.....Redverz
That thing packed up in a 10" x 21" size and weighs 14 lbs! That's a big package to tote. I guess if I ever had to work on my bike in bad weather on the trail I'd wish I had this thing but otherwise, I really don't see the point of having a garage for the bike in my tent. I know people that have this thing and swear by it.

My BA Copper Spur UL2 packs up in 4.5" x 19.5" and weighs 3 lbs. I have a dry bag that's about the size of the packed Redverz and my entire campsite fits in it - not just the tent.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:27 AM   #30
RT66KLR

The Solo is lighter by about 2 lbs ...hope to never have to work on the bike in it ....the garage is great for rainy weather in than you can sit (several people) and cook in it...also change clothes standing up. It sets up easy and you don't have to to have get the rain fly in place all the while getting the floor of the tent wet. The weight is not a big deal....not much more than a couple of six packs. Sleeping area is 41 inches by something like 7 1/2 feet. With a door facing each of the 4 compass points you can get a breeze in or keep the rain out and ventilate in almost any situation. For me the "garage" is living space that can double as a garage, not the other way around. As a remote base camp, or in delays due to weather, breakdown or medical, the Redverz is the greatest thing since an internal combustion engine was first put between two wheels.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:12 PM   #31
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jan 2012
Locale: Avoiding Dysentery
Postings: 204
Robert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to all

I re-read the thread, and honestly... jacking the thread just a little... I'm more interested about inflatable mattresses...

A cheap tent with a tarp (and some para cord) will get you by in many situations, but a cheap mattress (or crappy one) and you're not sleeping, regardless of the quality of tent...

I've got some ideas about motorcycle camping setups I'm looking forward to trying when I hit the PACNW in a month(ish)... but figure I'd better start a little closer to comfortable. I've got a comfortable enough sleeping bag, but the ground support is rather lacking.

Thoughts?
Blue KLR club member #243 Post a pic of your bike here, then pm me for membership. https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...light=blue+klr

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Robert Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:40 PM   #32
8bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Z View Post
but the ground support is rather lacking. Thoughts?
Air mattresses are heavy, Colman Slim Twin. Rugged, lighter than any other rugged mattress.

https://www.big5sportinggoods.com/sto...00/_/A-5262910

More room for cookies.

8bit

Last edited by 8bit; 07-17-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:54 PM   #33
8bit

Quote:
I really don't see the point of having a garage for the bike in my tent. I know people that have this thing and swear by it.
Have to agree. I wouldn't want the gas smell, the heat... Image being in the tent on a warm rainy afternoon with the heat and fumes...

6X8 or 8X10 tarp will cover the bike and do other jobs for less weight and less cash.

8bit
Old 07-17-2017, 04:12 PM   #34
PittsDriver

Quote:
I re-read the thread, and honestly... jacking the thread just a little... I'm more interested about inflatable mattresses...

A cheap tent with a tarp (and some para cord) will get you by in many situations, but a cheap mattress (or crappy one) and you're not sleeping, regardless of the quality of tent...

I've got some ideas about motorcycle camping setups I'm looking forward to trying when I hit the PACNW in a month(ish)... but figure I'd better start a little closer to comfortable. I've got a comfortable enough sleeping bag, but the ground support is rather lacking.

Thoughts?

When I'm on a scooter trip I always sleep better in my tent than I do in most hotel beds. The main reason I can say that is because of my sleeping bag/mattress combo and how they work together. I know I'm starting to sound like a Big Agnes fanboi but they make bags with a pocket that the air mattress slides into and that has a really big advantage - no more rolling off your pad/mattress - and to a lesser degree, the advantage is that as you toss and turn in your bag at night, there's no extraneous noises that sound like you're making balloon animals at 2am. The sleeping bag goes in a compressible dry sack and gets down to a packed size much smaller than a stuff sack and the air mattress rolls up and stores in a space about the size of a can of tennis balls. The final element of this great night's sleep is my inflatable memory foam covered pillow that fits in a pocket of the sleeping bag for a pillow cover. That pillow packs up about the size of a softball but when opened up and partially inflated makes for one of the best pillows I've ever slept upon.

Oh, and the trick to the mattress and the pillow I learned from fussing with an Air Hawk seat cushion. Proper inflation for the mattress is way less than fully inflated. I put enough air into it so that if I kneel on it or sit on it, I'm sitting hard on the ground. But when I lay down, it cradles me in a soft pillow of air that floats me and forms to my body instead. If you fully inflate the air mattress, you might as well sleep on a picnic table - it's that freakin' hard.

I'll look around for some links and post'em up later.

Wes

EDIT: The Big Agness Q-Core is my mattress pad:

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/produ...saAv5rEALw_wcB

Last edited by PittsDriver; 07-17-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:25 PM   #35
RT66KLR

OK a good Sleeping pad is a must...REI (which I won't use due to donations to groups who want to limit mechanized back country activities) and others have sleeping pads with sides...almost like an inflatable raft. Put a cotton sheet between the pad and bag if ballon animal noises happen...all of the above problems solved. Although I have friends with cots....
Heat and fumes? Ahh by the time I've had dinner and cleaned up camp, my KLR is stone cold. She is a Kawasaki not a Triumph or Harley....she doesn't leak and therefore no fumes. Besides She's outside unless I've got her torn apart. Further, between the two vents up high in the vestibule and the airflow at the bottom (no footprint or floor if the bike were to be in the garage) there are no fumes, heavy or light... GOOD ventilation.

I like the ability to get dressed normal like....standing up or sitting and then standing....seriously I gave up on putting my pants on horizontally in the early 70's.....wasn't fun in the back seat of a 68 Mustang (with a cops flashlight on you) ain't fun now in an itty bitty tent. And I do like the fact that I can boil water for coffee on a rainy morning and not even get out of my sleeping bag....oh yeah and not worry about burning or melting the vestibule while doing it. Am I a wimp? Nope, just have the years and the $ to go in style and comfort.

Unless she has her delicates exposed, she (my KLR) and I will never occupy my Redverz at the same time. No Need. The garage and vestibule are open space. Spend a rainy day "mudded in" in the Four Corners area in a 3 lb. tent that two raccoons couldn't do it in with out hitting the sides and or roof.... and you will wish you could stand up, or sit and drink hot coffee or maybe sip some Jack in a comfortable chair.... in a Redverz.

The Solo is a great compromise, and the sleeping area is bigger than any solo tent I've seen and almost as big as most doubles. If I rode with a lady I'd get the bigger third generation Redverz that a queen sized bed gets lost in. Alas my lady has two wheels and one lung so it's the Redverz Solo for me....

Just remember to keep the circus tent jokes to yourself....there may come a rainy day or night that you want to sit around a pannier, sip Jack and play poker.....the cover charge for non-believers is quite high.......

Last edited by RT66KLR; 07-17-2017 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:28 AM   #36
PittsDriver

Quote:

Just remember to keep the circus tent jokes to yourself....there may come a rainy day or night that you want to sit around a pannier, sip Jack and play poker.....the cover charge for non-believers is quite high.......
That's a great response that makes perfect sense. It's a trade off between the comfort of doing things in the tent (other than sleeping) and how light and small it is to carry around on gnarly trail rides. There's no right answer so we're really just talking about our own experiences and what's worked or not.

For example, one of my buddies upgraded his tent to the BA Copper Spur UL4 last year so that he had more room to move around and get dressed in it. It still packs up very light and takes up only a tiny bit more space than my UL2. This ultra-light stuff is made from alien or magical things. He's leaving that tent at home this year and bringing his UL3 because he found that it takes up too much space in a camp site. He felt it limited where he could site his tent and was concerned in a tight space, that it crowded the rest of us. That may not be much of a problem for some people depending on where (and with whom) they ride/camp.

Re: getting dressed - unless it's pouring rain, I just roll out and get dressed in front of God and everyone. If someone is offended by seeing me in my base layer slipping into my riding pants, then don't look

I can really see the advantage of a roomy tent if you are on the kind of ride where you might spend part of a day (or more) in your tent. That just hasn't been my/our style. We're usually on a long adv ride holding a kitchen pass that expires at some point so if we wake up and it's pouring rain, we still load up and hit the trail. We might lay there for an hour waiting to see if it'll slow, but then we're striking camp and kickstands up in short time.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:44 AM   #37
PittsDriver

Quote:
t...REI (which I won't use due to donations to groups who want to limit mechanized back country activities) :
Can you tell us more about that? When I read your post I went and did a little research. It looks like from my brief looking around that the initiatives that they support include both motorized and non-motorized trail system funding and activities. I'd love to hear more about it though because like you, I believe it's important to vote with our spending as well as at the ballot box.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:37 PM   #38
dtedwards
A Regular

Quote:
I've got a comfortable enough sleeping bag, but the ground support is rather lacking.

Thoughts?
I've got a bag from Big Agnes. A feature that I really like is that it doesn't have insulation on the bottom, so that makes it lighter and packs smaller. What it DOES have on the bottom is a "sleeve" to slide your sleeping mat into, which then provides cushioning and insulation. Their logic is that sleeping on top of insulation just compresses it and renders it useless. Another great benefit of this feature is it prevents the bag from sliding off the pad.

I've used a bunch of different pads. I personally do not like the self inflating foam pads. They don't pack small, and are a royal PITA to pack up. I've been very happy with my Big Agnes Q-Core pads. The one I'm currently using is about 2.5" thick, so it provides plenty of cushioning and insualtion, and it packs down to smaller than a Nalgene bottle. I can have it inflated in less than a minute.

There are other pads out there... some are way more expensive, and some are cheaper. I think the Big Agnes is a good compromise on quality vs price. I did have a failure of my previous pad (on night one of 4 nights on Kalalau Trail... grrr), and even though it was 5 years old and had been beat to crap, they replaced it for free. Of course the original was no longer in production, so the replacement was the upgraded model.

Big Agnes also makes an inflatable pillow that doubles as a bellows for inflating a sleeping pad. I keep eyeing it at my local outdoor shop, but for the price of a couple beers I'd rather use my longs and stuff my clothes into a dity bag.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:11 PM   #39
PittsDriver

The Big Agnes bag and Q core air mattress are my kit for sleeping. Great solution.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:40 PM   #40
RT66KLR

Quote:
Can you tell us more about that? When I read your post I went and did a little research. It looks like from my brief looking around that the initiatives that they support include both motorized and non-motorized trail system funding and activities. I'd love to hear more about it though because like you, I believe it's important to vote with our spending as well as at the ballot box.
Not all that up to date on it but a few years back there was a list published on line showing who supported groups that want no mechanized use on most public lands. Maybe they have changed their tune due to pressure, maybe they just threw a couple of bucks to the opposition (us) so they can say "Look we support you....." (even though they still support the anti's with far more bucks) If and when I have time I'll see if I can find it (the listing)... I do know that before I knew about the list I was in an REI looking at tents and GPS, Spot etc. Once my up till then helpful sales person found out I was doing the ADV bit he just walked away to help someone who just walked in the door.....across the store. Needless to say I headed for the door with my wallet intact. Soon after that I found the list on line and REI was on it....

Tags
area, camping, minimum, moto, screened, solo, tent, wich