SiteLock
Doohickey denial - resolved - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Maintenance, Modifications & Technical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Hello, welcome back.
KLR650 Maintenance, Modifications & Technical Wrenching and mods - KLR650 Technical discussion only!

Old 07-15-2017, 12:11 PM   #1
PittsDriver

Super Cool Since: Sep 2014
Locale: Annapolis MD
Postings: 599
PittsDriver is on a distinguished road
Default Doohickey denial - resolved

The history of my KLR has been more or less chronicled on here. I bought it specifically for the Trans Am Trail ride, a 14 NE in Jan '15. I set it up, road it coast to coast, and haven't ridden it much since returning from that other than a few romps around some play area near me. I'm thinking that my next big adv ride next year will be the CDR, I've been plotting about freshing up my KLR for that ride. Having been in a state of denial about it thus far, and with 7,200 miles on the clock, maybe it's time to see what all this fuss is about the doohickey. So I ordered the complete kit from Eagle Mike and on the hottest freakin' day of the summer here in Annapolis (100 degrees and 90% humidity) did my doo.

Here's what I found when I opened it up:

https://thejonaks.smugmug.com/Motorc...LR/i-92Zz24H/A

And here's a better look at it with the inner case removed revealing the spring and concentric adjustment sprocket:

https://thejonaks.smugmug.com/Motorc...LR/i-8Nw2Lcm/A

And finally, what it looks like to have a proper adjustment mechanism on the balancer chain idler:

https://thejonaks.smugmug.com/Motorc...LR/i-LG8Wm2R/A

Having never opened up a KLR case before, it took me a couple of hours. Every step of the way, I'd come back in the house for a cold glass of ice tea and watch the youtube videos again, then go back out for the next couple of steps. It could be easily done in less than an hour with a proper bike lift and now having done it once.

On a related note, if anyone in the Annapolis area needs the tools, I've got them laying around here now for loan.
'16 KTM 1290 R Super Duke (for my inner hooligan)
PittsDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:08 AM   #2
SkyhawkFL
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Jul 2017
Locale: Hollywood, FL
Postings: 2
SkyhawkFL is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Doohickey denial - resolved

Thank you for the insight and pictures Pitts. Do you also fly a Pitts?
I recently got a used 2013 KLR and I'm working on it slowly. It seems to run nicely but with all the Doohickey fuss I figured I probably should get it done before it fails.
Would you be interested in selling the toolkit?
I also read a thread yesterday about the upgrade kit failing. I wonder how accurate that is. Regardless, if the stock is going to fail, why not try the next best thing.

Thank you again for your time.

AT
SkyhawkFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-17-2017, 08:32 AM   #3
PittsDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyhawkFL View Post
I recently got a used 2013 KLR and I'm working on it slowly. It seems to run nicely but with all the Doohickey fuss I figured I probably should get it done before it fails.
I also read a thread yesterday about the upgrade kit failing. I wonder how accurate that is. Regardless, if the stock is going to fail, why not try the next best thing.

AT
I bought the full kit from Eagle Mike that included all the tools, gaskets, spring, flywheel bolt, and doohickey:

https://www.eaglemike.com/Complete-le...ols-clkwts.htm.

The complete kit without the tools is only $36 cheaper and by the time you paid shipping from me it wouldn't hardly be worth it for me to sell the tools.

Good luck with it!
Old 07-17-2017, 09:44 AM   #4
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Phoenix, Az
Postings: 18,166
Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

...and yes, he does fly a Pitts!
Old 07-17-2017, 10:12 AM   #5
PittsDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck B View Post
...and yes, he does fly a Pitts!
This stuff is fun too:

https://youtu.be/-UDuRHp1BMU

Wes
Old 07-17-2017, 12:13 PM   #6
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
This stuff is fun too:

Wes
You can say that....a few times over! My office is near the end of the runway here at Luke AFB. We've got F35's going over nearly daily...it's a beautiful thing!
Old 07-17-2017, 09:26 PM   #7
DanBarwick

Super Cool Since: Jun 2014
Locale: Independence, Kansas
Postings: 920
DanBarwick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyhawkFL View Post

AT
Others may have more information, but my understanding is that the stories about the upgrade kit failing came from two things: (1) there were some low-quality copies made of Eagle Mike's replacement doo, and (2) I have read about some people who damaged eagle Mike's spring on installation, by nicking it with a needle nose pliers and creating a weak spot.

2009 KLR, EM 685 kit, full Cogent treatment, goes anywhere
2005 Yamaha TW200, actually this is the one that REALLY goes anywhere
1999 BMW r1100rt, a true continent crusher
DanBarwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:31 PM   #8
rjmay3

Super Cool Since: Aug 2013
Locale: Phoenix area
Postings: 281
rjmay3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck B View Post
You can say that....a few times over! My office is near the end of the runway here at Luke AFB. We've got F35's going over nearly daily...it's a beautiful thing!
Chuck... I live just on the other side of the 303, north of the 10. I thought you were up in Flag?
Old 07-17-2017, 11:33 PM   #9
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmay3 View Post
Chuck... I live just on the other side of the 303, north of the 10. I thought you were up in Flag?
As of January we are now full time valley residence and after 7yrs no work I'm back in the work force slaving away.
Sponsored links

Tags
denial, doohickey, resolved