SiteLock
Injuries and Deaths from Panic Braking - Page 3 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Off The Beaten Path > Riding Technique
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Riding Technique Discuss riding technique, share riding secrets, or ask for tips

Old 11-06-2017, 06:01 PM   #41
Glenn
Site Administrator
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Jun 2003
Locale: USA
Postings: 18,631
Glenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud of
Default Re: Injuries and Deaths from Panic Braking

28mph?
Then you had better go 56mph and move like the wind.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:27 PM   #42
WiRider
Not one of the experts.

Super Cool Since: Mar 2012
Locale: Madison WI
Postings: 2,491
WiRider has a spectacular aura aboutWiRider has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Injuries and Deaths from Panic Braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
28mph?
Then you had better go 56mph and move like the wind.
Oh... At dealership bought the helmet first! It fit fine so pointed to the moped... "Want THAT one. How long?" Only factory new vehicle I've EVER owned! Moped cost less than the parking fees needed during couple years of construction at work. Allowed to park moped anywhere free. Cars parking is big $$$. That site wanted almost $800/mo when I'd worked there 15 yrs earlier so didn't bother to even check it. Moped was an instant slam-dunk, more than paid for itself in full twice.

LOL Was LUCKY to get 28 mph on a long downhill! 50cc 2 stroke street/trail rated moped with factory stock exhaust restrictors required in this state to make it legal (aka slow), torque converter also de-rated with stock heavy springs so it stays slow even downhill, and finally electronic ignition with stock rpm limiter.... And I keep things stock unless there's an actual problem in the design like doohickey. The thing did great on trails too!

But... that moped turned out to be a "gateway drug" back to MC. Couple yrs later when parking hassle gone I bought the KLR from a veteran co-worker, way cheaper than the moped! He was on a one way 50 mile daily commute using a class B 2 lane highway at 55 trying to pass a semi when chain broke... and an oncoming semi approaching close... so off the left and into 20 foot steep slope then the ditch. His pants weren't dry yet when 2 days and $1200 later was mine. And months later I sold the moped to an Active Duty Reservist co-worker for same $1200 which was a large discount... his service is good as cash to all of us and covers the rest as we speak because he's currently deployed and at risk. He stopped in at dealer and got the restrictions removed, it does a nice 44 mph on the flat now.

Tags
braking, deaths, injuries, panic