SiteLock
Verizon Droid with Google Earth Satellite Maps!! - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Off The Beaten Path > GPS: Equipment, Tracks and Places
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
GPS: Equipment, Tracks and Places Find the right GPS for you!

Old 02-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
MantaRay67
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: N. VA
Postings: 21
MantaRay67 is on a distinguished road
Default Verizon Droid with Google Earth Satellite Maps!!

I've tried my new Droid in the car cradle and find it amazing. I've ordered a separate vehicle mount to see if I can set it up on my bike.

Has anyone tried this amazing new nav tool?

I'm tacking down PowerLet to see if they have the required micro USB cord.
MantaRay67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
XDragRacer
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Jan 2007
Postings: 4,351
XDragRacer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Verizon Droid with Google Earth Satellite Maps!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay67 View Post
I've tried my new Droid in the car cradle and find it amazing. I've ordered a separate vehicle mount to see if I can set it up on my bike.

If all else fails, you could install an automotive-style 12-volt outlet on your bike.

Do NOT install it as shown in the following image; choose as vibration-free location as you can!

Last edited by XDragRacer; 02-07-2010 at 02:32 PM.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-26-2010, 01:02 AM   #3
KawiBunga
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2009
Locale: Vancouver, WA
Postings: 81
KawiBunga is on a distinguished road

Quote:

What happens out in the boonies when you lose cell phone coverage with those?
Pat
KawiBunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:11 AM   #4
MantaRay67
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: N. VA
Postings: 21
MantaRay67 is on a distinguished road

The GPS still uses satellite for location.

The impact of a jump may pop the suction cup off the tank however.
MantaRay67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
KawiBunga
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2009
Locale: Vancouver, WA
Postings: 81
KawiBunga is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The GPS still uses satellite for location.

The impact of a jump may pop the suction cup off the tank however.
I didn't realize it used satelite fixes, somehow I thought it came from Verizon and it used the cell phone towers to get a fix. I thought a co-worker was able to get his position in the GPS while he was in the warehouse where we work, my garmin can't pick up the signals inside the warehouse. (metal roof). That might be a really handy device, like a swiss army knife of the digital world.
Pat
KawiBunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:43 AM   #6
rrchops
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Jul 2009
Locale: Columbia, MO
Postings: 5
rrchops is on a distinguished road

I'm doing the same thing with my Moto Droid (which is awesome, btw)
I'm planning on getting a propper gps mount from Verizon and trying to Frankenstein it to the handle bar mount part of my existing GPS mount (Magellan XOG)
rrchops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
cya4x4n
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: May 2010
Locale: Salem Oregon
Postings: 6
cya4x4n is on a distinguished road

Phone works great, however when you get out in the boonies and loose 3g coverage you loose the "loaded map screen" and it goes blank... you still get an arrow of travel etc but doesn't show you road info. Gps units of course have pre loaded maps that the system pulls info from. Phone doesn't store these maps, loads fresh info each time you zoom in and zoom out and while traveling. Absolutely a great phone though...
cya4x4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:40 PM   #8
rrchops
Occasional Poster

Search the android marketplace for Navi Save and Go. Its ten bucks but it claims to work when you have no data. I'm not dropping ten bucks on it but it might be the app that would solve that problem.?.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:17 PM   #9
rrchops
Occasional Poster

Search the android marketplace for Navi Save and Go. Its ten bucks but it claims to work when you have no data. I'm not dropping ten bucks on it but it might be the app that would solve that problem.?.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:30 AM   #10
GammaFlat
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2010
Locale: NW Indiana
Postings: 98
GammaFlat is on a distinguished road

I've been using a "droid" for a while now. I had a G1 and in the last week replaced it with a "MyTouch 3G Slide". The mapping is awesome. Having said that, I just set up a Garmin 660 for my brother on his KLR (he'll be using it in his car as well). The Garmin is superior for a couple reasons: #1 it is a dedicated nav device and does "nav type stuff" really nicely. #2 the screen is much larger. #3 I really like how it mounted to handlebar. #4 maps are pre-loaded on the Garmin (see below)

I'll be looking for a way to mount my "MyTouch" to my bike -I don't want to shell out 600 clams for nav when I have a pretty good nav device.

In terms of data... Google Maps wants to use GPS but will fall back to cell tower positioning which is not nearly as accurate. If the sky is reasonably clear, you can get satellite but there are obviously times when you can't get cell coverage. It's a good point that you may be able to get positioning but no mapping - been there. I like the notion of this product in the "MarketPlace" discussed earlier - I'd probably pay for it.

Now I need a mount for my phone to my handlebars .

[HIJACK ALERT BEGIN]
A side note about the MyTouch... I got the "slide" version which slides open to expose a "real" keyboard. After using "swype" technology, I'm starting to think I don't need a keyboard - which is a notion I would have never have believed. It is awesome. After practicing for 5 minutes, I was faster on the virtual keyboard than the physical one - this technology is a real winner. I've used virtual key entry devices on and off since Palm Pilot days and have never been happy with any implementation of a virtual keyboard. If you're curious, there are plenty of demos on youtube... just look up "swype demo". If you're like me, you'll watch the demo and say pfffft, that demo's rigged. How wrong I was.
[HIJACK END]
GammaFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-07-2010, 12:43 AM   #11
rrchops
Occasional Poster

Yeah I also prefer the virtual keyboard now. But I like the Motorola Droid's speech to text even better. Its a little microphone button on the virtual keyboard. I just spoke this whole message on my Droid. No keyboard at all.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:58 AM   #12
GammaFlat
A Regular

Locale: NW Indiana
GammaFlat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrchops View Post
Yeah I also prefer the virtual keyboard now. But I like the Motorola Droid's speech to text even better. Its a little microphone button on the virtual keyboard. I just spoke this whole message on my Droid. No keyboard at all.
You're killin' me man. I just made a big technological jump.... now another.... in the same week? Actually, that sounds great. I hadn't gotten to that yet.... but admittedly I had a bad attitude about voice recognition just like the virtual keyboard. Thanks for the heads up!
GammaFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #13
jessesmith121
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2012
Locale: USA
Postings: 128
jessesmith121 is on a distinguished road

I'm looking for a way to mount my droid razr Maxx. There is an app in the marketplace called backcountry maps. You can upload the different track files that people make. Also you can download maps for when you don't have cell coverage. I like that the razr is water resistant as well.
jessesmith121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #14
SUPRBST

Super Cool Since: Aug 2009
Locale: Yuba City, CA
Postings: 13
SUPRBST is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessesmith121 View Post
I'm looking for a way to mount my droid razr Maxx. There is an app in the marketplace called backcountry maps. You can upload the different track files that people make. Also you can download maps for when you don't have cell coverage. I like that the razr is water resistant as well.
You might be able to use a RAM mount on your handlebars with this cradle. I recently bought one to use in my car, but they also have a fully-enclosed box that might feel more secure. I didn't know the Razr Maxx was water resistant. I was looking at getting one to replace my ailing HTC Incredible (original). How do you like the Maxx so far?
SUPRBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:58 AM   #15
RobT2K
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Aug 2011
Locale: San Diego
Postings: 77
RobT2K is on a distinguished road

I have been using the x-grip like the one you posted and it's pretty good. I figure if I need some water resistance I'll put the phone in a ziplock temporarily or just take it off.

I looked at the other case you posted too,but didn't get it due to complaints about difficult touch screen usage. Also there was no way to plug the phone into power while inside the box, for me a necessity due to drain from the gps.

There's a dual sport app on the android market that someone on adv made,it will let you preload maps for when you're out of service range. It's called dual sport maps.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #16
Skeefoo
A Regular

Locale: Panama Canal Zone
Postings: 228
Skeefoo is on a distinguished road

With a dedicated ground attached to the KLRs frame,couldnt the GPS be mounted into a tank bag?so it would have cushion against hard bumps and jarring?Ive come up with a way to suspend it to the tank bag,with a cut out so the screen can be seen through the clear map compartment of a Tank bag,? Just asking.If this idea proves negative,I can always go bar mount. Im also trying to work out a way to install a MP3 or similar so music can be played aboard the bike,Head phones mounted inside a helmet,Ive also came up with a Helmet cool air system Im working on,It takes a fishtank air pump,and through clear rubber hose with holes punched in,and afixed into the top inside of a helmet,and cool air pumps through,cooling your head inside the helmet,The idea is still in design phase,with a working prototype,but its showing promise,the principle is the same as a sandblasters helmet,and after further research,Im looking at mounting the already exsisting system into a motorcycle helmet,It works better than Imagined,cool air is blown on top of your head,while riding.
96 F150 ex-cab swb

Last edited by Skeefoo; 09-21-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Skeefoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #17
Stink finger
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Oct 2013
Locale: Upstate ny
Stink finger is on a distinguished road

From what I've experience with the cellphone (google maps gps app) is that it's more precise then my vehicle Garmin (forget the model of it?). What I've found out is most newer phones likely have three location options for gps. 1st is your vzw location, witch will use the ping from your cellphone to the closest cell tower to determine location (not the best) Second is the standalone gps service from your phone. Then lastly would be the google location from our pals at google earth. Normally I don't use the Verizon service just uncheck this one, and use the other two. Then as I've found out is that if you run the arial view (3d) this requires the use of your data to load the maps from your cellphone carrier. This is neat to use if you are not planning to hit any remote areas without service. But I've been in many areas that have no coverage and using the stand alone gps from the phone is still able to get me to where I need to go when I've got no cell coverage. Also shut these all down when not in use as it will drain your phone battery much faster. Anyway hope it makes sense and will help someone out down the road maybe.
Stink finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #18
krazykarl84
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2012
Locale: Shelby Twp, Mi
Postings: 105
krazykarl84 is on a distinguished road

I've got a verizon windows phone, which I have a love/hate relationship with (I'm not a big smartphone person to begin with, and switched from a droid when I got this one) that said, the nokia mapping application it comes with has maps that are viewable when off of cell coverage, and it works pretty well as a low budget (I'd argue that with how much I give the big V every month) GPS. I used it this way when I head into Canada and it works pretty well-uses the cell's GPS and corresponds with the downloaded map from Nokia. You may be able to get the nokia app on the Android marketplace. If you know where you're heading too-I thought google maps had the option built in to download parts of their maps for offline viewing-but maybe I'm mistaken on this?
Old 12-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #19
lotecredneck
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2013
Locale: Great State of Texas
Postings: 59
lotecredneck is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I have used my iPhone with Motion X gps app and it works great even without cell coverage. It downloads the map to the device and only needs to refresh every few hours or so.

~Tony
lotecredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #20
currenv

Super Cool Since: Jan 2013
Locale: Maryland - D.C. suburb
Postings: 853
currenv is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotecredneck View Post
I have used my iPhone with Motion X gps app and it works great even without cell coverage. It downloads the map to the device and only needs to refresh every few hours or so.

~Tony
I'm using Navigon on my iPhone. It's not free but it's not 600 bucks either. You buy the maps you need which are reasonable. Since the maps are internal, cell phone coverage doesn't matter. Navigon is a Garmon product, BTW. I've only used it on paved roads. The navigation intelligence is pretty good but I'd have a paper map as backup because sometimes it will send you on a roundabout route. I've got a Bluetooth thingie on my helmet so it gives me audio directions in my ear.

I also use Waze in-town because Waze will adjust for traffic conditions.

Vinnie

- H.L. Mencken
currenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
droid, earth, google, maps, satellite, verizon