SiteLock
Crashed today. - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Off The Beaten Path > Accidents, Crashes, and Close-calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Accidents, Crashes, and Close-calls Post-incident report, analysis and discussion aimed at increasing safety

Old 08-21-2017, 06:44 PM   #1
tmorg
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2012
Locale: Streator, Illinois
Postings: 27
tmorg is on a distinguished road
Default Crashed today.

Wrecked my 2013 this morning going to work. 20 something girl in oncoming lane probably on cell phone or texting. She came into my lane and I was forced to lay it down in the ditch. I slid about 25 yard ,thankfully the grass was tall and wet. I just ripped my jeans a little bit. Tow truck driver said bike would be totaled by insurance .
Any guesses as to what I might get for it? 8,000 mi . Thanks
Old 08-21-2017, 07:20 PM   #2
RDW

Super Cool Since: Oct 2011
Locale: Kansas, USA
Postings: 981
RDW has a spectacular aura aboutRDW has a spectacular aura aboutRDW has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Crashed today.

Now that's a bummer!!! Sure sorry to hear of your crash, really glad you're in better shape than a totaled KLR.

I don't know about the price, but NADA may give you an idea what they're going for.

Sure wish you the best on getting through all this.

Take care, RD

'06 KLR 650- SOLD!!
'12 KLR 650- Blue/White/Black
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-21-2017, 08:32 PM   #3
PittsDriver

Super Cool Since: Sep 2014
Locale: Annapolis MD
Postings: 699
PittsDriver is on a distinguished road

Sorry about your mishap.

They'll offer you the option of taking the bike back with a salvage title which might work out pretty well for you if it's a bike you like and want to keep. You can almost always fix a bike back to solid rideable condition for way less than the insurance company will offer as long as you can live with scratches and rolling your own after market solutions.
'16 KTM 1290 R Super Duke (for my inner hooligan)
PittsDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:42 AM   #4
Glenn
Site Administrator
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Jun 2003
Locale: USA
Postings: 18,612
Glenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud of

Sorry to hear about the bike, but YOU are okay and that's the only thing that truly matters.
Getting seriously injured just one time can change your life, believe me.

My advice would be to look at dealership retail pricing for 2013 models similiarly equipped with similar mileage.
That is what they should pay you, current market value.
Not only that, it is your right to investigate whether it is worth buying back from the insurance company and rebuilding it.
Even if you have to go through the process of getting it retitled as salvage rebuilt, it may very well be worth it.
You may be able to buy it back very inexpensively, say $600, then whatever it costs you to repair.
It is usually not worth it to them to have a shop repair it, but worth it to an individual capable of doing so.

Lets say it's worth 4500.
You buy it back for 600 (estimate)
They cut you a check for 3900
You can probably repair it yourself for less than $1000 and outfit it with some performance suspension, other accessories and have enough money left over to pay for fuel and maintenance for the next 5 to 7 years.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:14 AM   #5
PittsDriver

Super Cool Since: Sep 2014
Locale: Annapolis MD
Postings: 699
PittsDriver is on a distinguished road

You are also entitled to claim your helmet and any other gear that has even a scratch on it including any aftermarket protection parts or even any cosmetic parts.
'16 KTM 1290 R Super Duke (for my inner hooligan)
PittsDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:07 PM   #6
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Phoenix, Az
Postings: 18,550
Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
You are also entitled to claim your helmet and any other gear that has even a scratch on it including any aftermarket protection parts or even any cosmetic parts.
That depends on the policy itself. Some do some don't and some require a rider policy.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:39 PM   #7
dberte
dberte

Super Cool Since: Jul 2014
Locale: Camp Verde, Arizona
Postings: 456
dberte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck B View Post
That depends on the policy itself. Some do some don't and some require a rider policy.
I am in agreement there, My policy will only pay for aftermarket accessories and gear if I have sent them a photo and purchase receipt from install, up to $3,000 total.
Darrell

Tags
crashed, today