SiteLock
Best windscreen for a tall rider? - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 First Generation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR650 First Generation 1987-2007 Related Topics

Old 10-13-2017, 07:12 AM   #1
jetblack357
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2015
Locale: Goose Creek, SC
Postings: 226
jetblack357 is on a distinguished road
Default Best windscreen for a tall rider?

6'3" and looking around for a new windscreen for touring. 2007 model.

Any suggestions? There seem to be quite a few options out there.
jetblack357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:24 AM   #2
BeltFedBren

Super Cool Since: Jan 2014
Locale: USA
Postings: 615
BeltFedBren has a spectacular aura aboutBeltFedBren has a spectacular aura aboutBeltFedBren has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Best windscreen for a tall rider?

Madstad on a gen2 bike was every bit as good as I imagined it would be. Damned expensive though. not sure if they make a Gen1 screen.
BeltFedBren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-13-2017, 08:43 PM   #3
rebel

Super Cool Since: Aug 2005
Locale: POPLARVILLE, MS
Postings: 73
rebel is on a distinguished road

I'd check out Parabellum. It's the best I've found.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:39 PM   #4
SCREAMINSAL
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jul 2010
Locale: Prison
Postings: 1,509
SCREAMINSAL will become famous soon enoughSCREAMINSAL will become famous soon enough

Nothing will really work like you expect it to. Just leave it stock so the wind hits you in the chest.... Don't use a helmet with a visor.

....cuz your too tall.....
Old 10-17-2017, 09:59 AM   #5
ACE rider
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jul 2012
Locale: Canadia
Postings: 173
ACE rider is on a distinguished road

Madstad 20" Adventure (IIRC). A bit pricey but very adjustable. If you can't get the Madstad to work for you, you probably won't find any windscreen that will.

For full on multi-week touring I add 2 little wind deflectors to the bars to take care of the small amount of annoying turbulence coming off of the sides of the Gen 1 fairing. No pictures right now but imagine a playing card sized piece of clear acrylic bolted to a rod (like a lolly-pop) and threaded into a clamp on bracket mounted just outboard of where the crossbar attaches to the main handlebar (stock bar).

The tank bag takes care of any turbulent air coming up off the tank and shrouds.

The end result is a very calm cockpit. Better than some of the high $ touring bikes I've tried.

As a bonus everything comes off in 5 minutes with no tools for serious off-roading. One plus about the Madstad is that you can undo the thumbscrews, take off the acrylic screen and mount it back onto the brackets upside down. This way you can see over it while riding trails and it removes the neck slicing hazard when standing up

Oh, BTW I'm 6'4" and I just noticed that if you look real closely at my avatar pic you can see a little blurry bit to the left of the windscreen. That is one of the lolly-pop wind deflectors.

Last edited by ACE rider; 10-17-2017 at 10:04 AM.
ACE rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:50 PM   #6
Thumperbob

Super Cool Since: Jun 2012
Locale: San Diego, California
Postings: 268
Thumperbob is on a distinguished road

Laminar lip.
Thumperbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:54 PM   #7
ACE rider
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperbob View Post
Laminar lip.
It's a Gen 1 though. Probably still need an aftermarket screen to make a lip work, right?

My 2007 came with the OEM tall screen (+4" IIRC). Literally the worst thing in the world for turbulence. Put all the air right onto my chin, felt like my head was in a paint can shaker. I tried a laminar lip. It did make it a bit better but that's like saying getting punched in the face is better than getting kicked in the balls...

Buying windscreens is a gamble. What works for one person is almost certainly not going to work for another, even if they are the same height. That's why I went with the adjustable screen. More expensive up front, but if you have to try 2 or 3 fixed screens to find the right one you probably would have been better off to spend more on the adjustable. I know I'd do it again. Good luck with your search.

edit: Oh and Sal is right. Forget about a visor at 6'+. Unless neck pain is something you enjoy.

Last edited by ACE rider; 10-17-2017 at 06:56 PM.
ACE rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:34 PM   #8
BeltFedBren

Super Cool Since: Jan 2014
Locale: USA
Postings: 615
BeltFedBren has a spectacular aura aboutBeltFedBren has a spectacular aura aboutBeltFedBren has a spectacular aura about

I went 400 miles in my Hornet DS helmet with visor, behind my 20" madstad. No issues whatsoever. I looked though, Madstad does not make a Gen1 screen.
BeltFedBren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:50 AM   #9
ACE rider
A Regular

You seem to be right. They must have stopped making the brackets for the Gen 1.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:50 PM   #10
dtedwards
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jan 2016
Locale: Juneau, AK
Postings: 206
dtedwards is on a distinguished road

I picked up a $15 windshield deflector off e-bay. It took the wind off my face. IT's also nice because it can be dropped down for better visibility when off-road. My only comlaint is that it exacerbates the buffeting on the windshield/ fairing. I might try to reinforce the top of the fairing... someday.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-...5ZKtrO&vxp=mtr
'04 in "standard" Bedliner Black, ammo cans, EM Doohickey & Torsion Spring, EM fork brace, Top Gun 8Kg spring, Dirtracks crashbars, valves @ max spec, advanced exhaust timing... and a $40 Craigslist guitar
dtedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-21-2017, 10:10 AM   #11
C5dad

Super Cool Since: Aug 2015
Locale: Arizona
Postings: 263
C5dad is on a distinguished road

Check out the Cee Baily's. ScreminSal is right about the visor issue as well. My tall windscreen and a visor = nasty low frequency vibrations which will just wear you down after an hour or three.

Cheers

Corbin Seat w upgraded seat pad, EM Fork Brace w/ Acerbis fender, Cogent Moab and front springs, USB and 12 v accessory outlet; Cee Bailey windsheld; MC Mod; deCalifornicated; upcoming 685 kit.
C5dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM   #12
KLRogu
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2015
Locale: AUSTRALIA
Postings: 230
KLRogu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMINSAL View Post
Nothing will really work like you expect it to. Just leave it stock so the wind hits you in the chest.... Don't use a helmet with a visor.

....cuz your too tall.....
Agree
KLRogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
rider, tall, windscreen