SiteLock
Let's play what's that sound - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Second Generation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR650 Second Generation 2008-2017+ Related Topics

Old 08-11-2017, 02:12 PM   #1
Zz-
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2017
Locale: Somewhere!
Postings: 107
Zz- is on a distinguished road
Default Let's play what's that sound

So.. Like mentioned I closed meh bike up using a hook on the stock spring to tension it so I could seal it up and get back to commuting. Now my truck is in pieces . Sadly my spring did not come quick enough so this was a hand fix. Now. I'm amused. It's running smoother than it has EVER run, however I do notice that now the rattle has reduced to a marble like sound. I assume that's the chain running a surface yes? Did I hit the mark or do I still need more tension? It's an absolute improvement, but darn this engine just makes all sorts of noises. From what I see in the parts diagram there is one surface it runs and I can assume it's just giving it some love slaps.
Zz- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:55 PM   #2
GoMotor
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Oct 2009
Locale: Texas
Postings: 7,208
GoMotor is just really niceGoMotor is just really niceGoMotor is just really niceGoMotor is just really niceGoMotor is just really nice
Default Re: Let's play what's that sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zz- View Post
So.. Like mentioned I closed meh bike up using a hook on the stock spring to tension it so I could seal it up and get back to commuting. ............
The first spot where the balancer chain rubs is on a boss for an outer cover bolt below the tensioner sprocket.

If your fix is intended to be temporary, you don't really need the spring. Just push the doohickey clockwise by hand to fully tension the chain and then snug the adjuster bolt against the doohickey to hold it in place. Install the cover and you are good for about 5,000 miles, but don't loosen the adjuster bolt or you lose all tension.

I did it in Memphis, TN while ridding the TAT. I finished the TAT at the Pacific and rode home to Houston with no problems. Then I installed a new doohickey and spring.
GoMotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-11-2017, 04:25 PM   #3
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Phoenix, Az
Postings: 18,545
Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoMotor View Post
The first spot where the balancer chain rubs is on a boss for an outer cover bolt below the tensioner sprocket.

If your fix is intended to be temporary, you don't really need the spring. Just push the doohickey clockwise by hand to fully tension the chain and then snug the adjuster bolt against the doohickey to hold it in place. Install the cover and you are good for about 5,000 miles, but don't loosen the adjuster bolt or you lose all tension.

I did it in Memphis, TN while ridding the TAT. I finished the TAT at the Pacific and rode home to Houston with no problems. Then I installed a new doohickey and spring.
I've done the same with folks who have contacted me while on the road. Easy to do in a parking lot and got them home. Only concern was the broken spring but they were willing to chance that. Most end up in the oil pump screen soon enough.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:55 PM   #4
Zz-
A Regular

I did exactly that. So in short, I'm doing me a spring tonight, and I have four to choose from machinist made, tgm, em's, and an em tortion is on the way. I'll continue my merry dicking and see if this tgm and stock doo does. I'll check in a year and if not I'll stop wasting time and give into the convenience of EM
Old 08-13-2017, 12:01 PM   #5
Zz-
A Regular

I'm baffled. I delayed my fix so I could go out. I go and open it up... LOW and behold the chain is TIGHT. Like the tension on the nose. Perfect. Has my bike possibly just never been tight since that spring was out of coil from the factory therefore this "marbles" noise is just new to me, or did I tension it too hard? FYI the spring did not come flying off like I hoped It seemed to have some grab.

Edit: I discovered that behind the generator inner case on the eccentric idler shaft mount there is a hell of a lot of wear like someone just ground something into the case. Obviously it didn't happen during running, but it must have come from the factory like this. Anyone see this before?

Is this cut out for the spring?

Last edited by Zz-; 08-13-2017 at 12:36 PM. Reason: update
Old 08-13-2017, 09:06 PM   #6
Zz-
A Regular

Solved. I used a drill to turn the engine. I played with all springs and both doohickey's. Oddly there is a raised part of the 2017 case that prevents EM's doo from gliding even with the washer on the inside, I ended up lightly grinding it down LIGHTLY. Turns out the noise came from the central chain guide when over-tension-ed. I ended up finding that the torsion spring produced the best tension and least noise. And so I now can confirm that I am in fact a fan of the EM part. It certainly is much better than the TGM solution which could not produce near the tension I see with the torsion spring. Also I was nearing end of travel on this adjustment. Wheel successfully reinvented. Although I did find out one thing, don't tension the doo too hard
Sponsored links

Tags
play, sound