SiteLock
2018 Southeast Rally Calendar - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > United States
> Southeast
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Southeast Home of Tour de Tellico, Tour de Pisgah, Tour de LBL

Old 01-12-2018, 07:20 PM   #1
cherokee_chuck
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Oct 2006
Locale: Cleveland, TN
Postings: 2,449
cherokee_chuck is on a distinguished road
Default 2018 Southeast Rally Calendar

2018 Rally Calendar

Super excited about another year of DS and Adventure Riding in the great Southeast! We have most of the rides we had last year, but there are a couple of changes. Paintdoc and I have decided to move Sequatchie Valley Days to the first weekend of October. That should keep the 95° days in the valley at bay! Also.......2 years ago, several of the guys took a week to ride The Bootlegger during the first week of Oct. Last year, we had the High Country Rolling ride the first weekend of Oct. This year we are rotating in the 'West Virginia Country Roads Tour'! It will move into the first weekend of June, where SVD normally was! I will start a thread on it very soon to talk about the route, lodging, etc.

For the past several years, we have had up to around 30 riders come to the larger gatherings. We are mostly KLR riders, but all is invited. Riders make their own arrangements with either the campground or host's property we are staying at. If you know you are going to be coming to a specific ride, and would prefer to rent a small cabin (most motorcycle campgrounds have them), you may want to call and reserve it before any other visitors do.

March Moto Madness is held near Tellico Plains and is actually run by a friend of ours, Dan Dickey, which owns a motorcycle rental place out of Townsend, TN https://gsmmotorent.com/ This ride last year had several hundred participants at their main site (including overflow at https://www.cmtrails.com/). You pay a fee to participate and various meals and your lodging are included.

The Stolen Pig Rally is hosted by Don McCoy if you guys want to visit some of the Hatfiled/McCoy history!

Roads & Trails is organized by CMA's Fast Lane Group. It is similar to the way we do things.....you take care of lodging and food with the campground. Ridir Frith (David) and I organize the Dual-Sport riding.

If you are new to the forum, the organizer will make a 'thread' usually a month or so before the ride giving specifics about location, costs, possible tours being offered, keeping tally of riders coming, etc. Dates normally show the starting day as a Friday, but several people like to 'Early Bird' it on Thursday....... Hope to see ya at some of these great rides in the Southeast!

Below the KLR rally calendar you will see rides put on by friends of ours in the area!

If you want to add a ride to the list, let me know!

Rally________________When________ Where____________Organizer_______Link
Tour De Apalachicola_____March 9-11___Ed and Bernice's Fish Camp___Hurricane________FL riding - coming soon
Roads & Trails __________Apr 6-8_______Iron Horse ML___________ridir frith___________NC/TN riding - coming soon
Valley in the Sky________Apr 27-29______Two Wheels of Suches_____Jerry Atrick________NGa Mtns riding - coming soon
TDT XIII_______________May 18-20______Cherohala MR________ _ cherokee_chuck____TN/NC riding - coming soon
WV Country Roads_______May 31-June 3___Adv.Touring Eastern WV___cherokee_chuck____TN/VA/WV riding - coming soon
Blue Ridge Run__________June 22-24_____Blue Ridge MC________ ___MDrake__________NC riding - coming soon

SUMMER TIME!!

TDP XIII______________Sep 21-23________Riders R & R____________steve___________ TN/NC riding - coming later
Sequatchie Valley Days___Oct 5-7________Trials Training Center_______paintdoc_________TAG riding - coming later
Bat Out Of Helen_______Oct 19-21_______Cherokee Campground____Shakeyjake18_____GA/NC riding - coming later
Bama Jama____________Nov 2-4________Tagalong's Place__________tagalong_________AL/GA riding - coming later
Cuhutta DS Ride_______Nov 16-18________Casa de Randall__________johnrandall________GA/TN riding - coming later

Organizers....if you see any issues, give me a shout.

Friend's rallies in the area

Rally________________When________ Where____________Organizer
March Moto Madness_____Mar 22-25______ Tellico Biker_____________Lt. Dan
Gee Creek Expedition____Apr 20-22______Gee Creek Spring_________Angelo
Stolen Pig Rally_________Apr 26-29______Hatfield/McCoy Resort______Don
Gee Creek Expedition____Oct.?-?_________Gee Creek Fall__________Angelo

Keep Loving Rides!

Last edited by cherokee_chuck; 01-12-2018 at 07:29 PM.
cherokee_chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:10 PM   #2
dualindalton
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jul 2008
Locale: North Ga..slightly toward the west
Postings: 1,116
dualindalton is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2018 Southeast Rally Calendar

Chuck, how about leaking a few details on the W.Va ride. As of now I have a go from the bitter (not a typo) half to go along on this adventurous tour of The Mountain State.

Uh oh, now I'm singing in my not so like John Denver voice.... Almost Heaven, West Virginia. Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River........

The World Went And Got Itself In A Big Damn Hurry~Brooks Hatlen~
dualindalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-15-2018, 11:09 PM   #3
cherokee_chuck
KLR Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualindalton View Post
Chuck, how about leaking a few details on the W.Va ride. As of now I have a go from the bitter (not a typo) half to go along on this adventurous tour of The Mountain State.

Uh oh, now I'm singing in my not so like John Denver voice.... Almost Heaven, West Virginia. Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River........
Working on the details.....and should have them out soon. It is coming together to be a nice loop including wonderful roads like Hwy 16 through VA/WV, before heading into the Eastern part of WV for mostly pavement and also some dirt routes. Going to set up the route so we can stay Friday and Saturday nights at the same location. Using Sunday to make a homeward run. Some riders may want to extend their trip, but I figured we need at least 3 nights. The trip will be perfect for KLR 650 and larger bikes.

Details soon.....

Keep Loving Rides!
Old 01-17-2018, 04:37 PM   #4
shakeyjake18
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jul 2016
Locale: Murrayville Ga
Postings: 95
shakeyjake18 is on a distinguished road

About 7 years ago, we took off from Boone NC and hit Hwy 16 outside of Mouth of Wilson. Took 16 all the way to Sophia WV and then stayed the night in Beckley. It's a great road and we had a blast. We were on a Suzuki Bandit 1200, a BMW R1150RS and a Honda 919. We did some sure enough asphalt surfing on that road. Sounds like a great trip.
shakeyjake18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:37 PM   #5
cherokee_chuck
KLR Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeyjake18 View Post
About 7 years ago, we took off from Boone NC and hit Hwy 16 outside of Mouth of Wilson. Took 16 all the way to Sophia WV and then stayed the night in Beckley. It's a great road and we had a blast. We were on a Suzuki Bandit 1200, a BMW R1150RS and a Honda 919. We did some sure enough asphalt surfing on that road. Sounds like a great trip.
Yes....Hwy 16 is a classic ride! Running against the mountain grain in VA....and riding through coal country in WV! It will be a great jumping off ride....leading into the heart of WV.

I am using my 2011 and 2012 tours to set up the best bang for our buck ride in June!

Keep Loving Rides!
Old 01-18-2018, 10:03 AM   #6
xracer
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jan 2008
Locale: lake placid,florida
Postings: 1,664
xracer is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: 2018 Southeast Rally Calendar

Now I can start making plans for June.
xracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:02 AM   #7
cherokee_chuck
KLR Enthusiast

UPDATE

We will be taking the Tour de Apalachicola off of the schedule. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Rally________________When________ Where____________Organizer_______Link
Roads & Trails __________Apr 6-8_______Iron Horse ML___________ridir frith___________NC/TN riding - coming soon
Valley in the Sky________Apr 27-29______Two Wheels of Suches_____Jerry Atrick________NGa Mtns riding - coming soon
TDT XIII_______________May 18-20______Cherohala MR________ _ cherokee_chuck____TN/NC riding - coming soon
WV Country Roads_______May 31-June 3___Adv.Touring Eastern WV___cherokee_chuck____TN/VA/WV riding - coming soon
Blue Ridge Run__________June 22-24_____Blue Ridge MC________ ___MDrake__________NC riding - coming soon

SUMMER TIME!!

TDP XIII______________Sep 21-23________Riders R & R____________steve___________ TN/NC riding - coming later
Sequatchie Valley Days___Oct 5-7________Trials Training Center_______paintdoc_________TAG riding - coming later
Bat Out Of Helen_______Oct 19-21_______Cherokee Campground____Shakeyjake18_____GA/NC riding - coming later
Bama Jama____________Nov 2-4________Tagalong's Place__________tagalong_________AL/GA riding - coming later
Cuhutta DS Ride_______Nov 16-18________Casa de Randall__________johnrandall________GA/TN riding - coming later

Organizers....if you see any issues, give me a shout.

Friend's rallies in the area

Rally________________When________ Where____________Organizer
March Moto Madness_____Mar 22-25______ Tellico Biker_____________Lt. Dan
Gee Creek Expedition____Apr 20-22______Gee Creek Spring_________Angelo
Stolen Pig Rally_________Apr 26-29______Hatfield/McCoy Resort______Don
Gee Creek Expedition____Oct.?-?_________Gee Creek Fall__________Angelo

Keep Loving Rides!
Old 01-23-2018, 12:11 PM   #8
verboten1
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Apr 2008
Locale: Monroe, MI
Postings: 1,258
verboten1 is on a distinguished road

Time off set for TDT, Blue Ridge Run, TDP and Bama Jama!
'12 Super Tenere XT1200
'13 Versys 650 For the wife
James Bay Madness!!!
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:49 PM   #9
cherokee_chuck
KLR Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by verboten1 View Post
Time off set for TDT, Blue Ridge Run, TDP and Bama Jama!
Cool! Michigan will be represented well!

Keep Loving Rides!
Old 02-13-2018, 09:58 PM   #10
Joe Gurley
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Oct 2007
Locale: Appling, Georgia
Postings: 201
Joe Gurley is on a distinguished road

Good Lord willing and the knee comes around I Wil try my best to make Valley in the Sky. I'm about to go crazy not being able get out and ride. I have been busy putting on more farkles (Christmas presents, my wife was very kind to me this Holiday season.) Hope to see everyone soon.

Last edited by Joe Gurley; 02-13-2018 at 09:59 PM.
Joe Gurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-16-2018, 10:15 AM   #11
xracer
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jan 2008
Locale: lake placid,florida
Postings: 1,664
xracer is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: 2018 Southeast Rally Calendar

May as well ask early. The Blue Ridge Run. Is it rock gardens and rough riding where your going to need a good bash plate and body armor? I'm asking for a friend of mine who wants to know how to set up his bike and body.
xracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
2018, calendar, rally, southeast