SiteLock
KLR 650 08 Rear spring / introduction - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > Australia & New Zealand
> General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2017, 04:30 AM   #1
Iceymidgit
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Jul 2016
Locale: Toowoomba
Postings: 4
Iceymidgit is on a distinguished road
Talking KLR 650 08 Rear spring / introduction

G'day guys i'm new on here i'm from toowoomba Queendsland just got myself a 08 model klr 650 with only 45000km on her, The guy only used it for work and back, Very much stock so i have ordered 41 MM INTIMINATOR FITS KLR 650 2008-2015 and 5w oil, Now i'm wondering what i should get for the rear spring upgrade, Was looking at Top Gun Rear Spring 8kg yellow one, As i'm a big guy plus when i get around it it all the other gear i'll carry just after some opinions or other options etc.

Also i want to do the doohicky (unsure if it has been done ) but i'm not very confident in doing this anyone aroound brisbane or toowoomba you would recommend to do this.

Thanks
Iceymidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:48 AM   #2
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jan 2012
Locale: Avoiding Dysentery
Postings: 206
Robert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to all
Default Re: KLR 650 08 Rear spring / introduction

How is it you greet each other?

G'day?

We'll just go with that...

If you can take your forks off, change out the innards, and put them back on...

If you can remove the rear shock/spring and replace it...

You can do the doo...

There's videos, and picture walkthroughs...

My favorite step by step is the one over at marknet. The whole site is worth a read.

An 08 needs to be watched like a hawk. When you're not watching, it's out draining itself of oil... suicidal year, that one. Watch your oil level... be vigilant, until you know whether or not yours burns oil, and how much.

Hopefully the PO didn't starve the top end and cook it.
Blue KLR club member #243 Post a pic of your bike here, then pm me for membership. https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...light=blue+klr

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Robert Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-26-2017, 06:59 AM   #3
Iceymidgit
Occasional Poster

Thanks for your reply, how would i know if he starve the top end and cook it, seems fine to me no smoke or anything lots of power and atm oil level is on max line for the last week
Old 08-26-2017, 07:43 AM   #4
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Robert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to all

I wouldn't "worry" about it if it's running fine... Just keep a close eye on the oil level, then figure on inspecting the cams and journals when you do a valve check.
Blue KLR club member #243 Post a pic of your bike here, then pm me for membership. https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...light=blue+klr

Old 08-27-2017, 06:45 AM   #5
Iceymidgit
Occasional Poster

i'm wondering what i should get for the rear spring upgrade, Was looking at Top Gun Rear Spring 8kg yellow one, As i'm a big guy plus when i get around it it all the other gear i'll carry just after some opinions or other options etc.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:21 AM   #6
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

I wouldn't rely on opinion.

I know it's long distance, but I'd give them a shout.

Email if nothing else.

There's questions they'll ask you that will help determine exactly what setup you will need to achieve your goals.

Think about it, if you order what you "think" you need, or what someone else recommends, you get it, install it, find out it's not right...

It's worth a little extra time on the front end to save you time and money on the back end.. specially given the shipping, import duties, etc. involved getting the products to your location.

https://www.motocd.com/

Give the guys at cogent a try... I've not used them, but people I trust say they're great for answering questions.

Last edited by Robert Z; 08-27-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:31 AM   #7
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

In regards to just upgrading the spring? It's kidna held to be a half-ass idea.

The piston part of the stock shock is poor as well. A spring will just create a new set of issues.

Something to do with dampening I think. I don't know details, just that people I trust who DO know the details have advised against only changing out the spring, and the debates I've seen make sense.

I'm sure with a bit of searching, you can find the posts if you really wanted to.

I know, <$500 vs. <$100 (usd) is a jump, but again, how much will you be saving in time by doing it "right" and completely? Just the spring MIGHT work for what you want to do, but a new shock, set up by the company after interacting with you regarding your needs, WILL work...

Just my thoughts on it.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:08 PM   #8
roverfj1200
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Feb 2015
Locale: Brisbane Queensland Australia
Postings: 171
roverfj1200 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceymidgit View Post
G'day guys i'm new on here i'm from toowoomba Queendsland just got myself a 08 model klr 650 with only 45000km on her, The guy only used it for work and back, Very much stock so i have ordered 41 MM INTIMINATOR FITS KLR 650 2008-2015 and 5w oil, Now i'm wondering what i should get for the rear spring upgrade, Was looking at Top Gun Rear Spring 8kg yellow one, As i'm a big guy plus when i get around it it all the other gear i'll carry just after some opinions or other options etc.

Also i want to do the doohicky (unsure if it has been done ) but i'm not very confident in doing this anyone aroound brisbane or toowoomba you would recommend to do this.

Thanks
Gidday mate

I'm in Brisbane and can help with the doohickey. I have the tools here and gaskets. As said keep a eye on the oil level with the 08 as some did have a burning issue ( but not all). You can fit a 8kg spring and that is what I have but you should revalve to suit. I just burnt out a shock on a trip. Rad suspension can help there. I have the Ricor valves in the front with Icon springs. You will need to up grade the front springs if they are standard in most cases. I'm more than happy to ring you and explain things if needed. just message me. Also we have a Australian FB page "Australian KLR riders" cheers mate
roverfj1200 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:59 AM   #9
Iceymidgit
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverfj1200 View Post
Gidday mate

I'm in Brisbane and can help with the doohickey. I have the tools here and gaskets. As said keep a eye on the oil level with the 08 as some did have a burning issue ( but not all). You can fit a 8kg spring and that is what I have but you should revalve to suit. I just burnt out a shock on a trip. Rad suspension can help there. I have the Ricor valves in the front with Icon springs. You will need to up grade the front springs if they are standard in most cases. I'm more than happy to ring you and explain things if needed. just message me. Also we have a Australian FB page "Australian KLR riders" cheers mate
G'day thanks for the offer mate i just might take you up on that offer after i get the Rocor in over the weekend and the wheel bearings, I did join the FB page just the other day

looking at the ikon suspension would you have an idea what the difference is in the numbers one is 500-110 and 500-148

Thanks mate
Old 08-31-2017, 06:19 AM   #10
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Quote:
G'day thanks for the offer mate i just might take you up on that offer after i get the Rocor in over the weekend and the wheel bearings, I did join the FB page just the other day

looking at the ikon suspension would you have an idea what the difference is in the numbers one is 500-110 and 500-148

Thanks mate
It looks like, (If I'm reading their catalog PDF right)

500-110 is for model years 08+ (Listed only as 08, but all 2nd gen is the same up to the 14.5 I believe)

500-148 is for the model years 87-07.

Sponsored links
Old 08-31-2017, 04:57 PM   #11
roverfj1200
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Feb 2015
Locale: Brisbane Queensland Australia
Postings: 171
roverfj1200 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Thanks mate
I have the Ikon progressive springs and Ricor valves in mine. I'm not sure if it is the combo of progressive springs and valves that cause the front to be a bit skiddish on corries but I would look a single rate springs for the front. I have no idea why there are 2 part numbers for the springs. "Rocky mountain ATV" are a good source of parts for the KLR..
roverfj1200 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
650, introduction, klr, rear, spring