SiteLock
License Plate Relocate - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > Procedures & How To Articles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Procedures & How To Articles KLR650 Modifications, Procedures, Tech Info

Old 08-11-2015, 01:31 PM   #1
joefuskie

Super Cool Since: Jun 2014
Locale: Maine
Postings: 81
joefuskie is on a distinguished road
Default License Plate Relocate

I needed to relocate my license plate, and maintain lighting to pass state inspection. My lower/inner fender was broken off, so remounting was not an option (Pic 1). I removed all the stock hardware for the lighting system (pic 2).

I then bent the bracket which would allow for the light to be mounted above the plate. After marking where I wanted the bracket mounted (pic 3), I used a drill bit to make a series of holes which I then cut out to hold the rubber grommets (pics 4, 5, and 6). NOTE: the ID of the grommets are about the size of a 10 mm socket.

Pics 7 and 8 show the mounted grommets and the bracket mounted to the fender. A third hole was drilled for the wiring to pass through (pic 9). The stock harness was just long enough to connect at the new location with no additional wiring. Pics 10 and 11 show the final painted product.

Not completely sure that I like it. I may take it off after inspection and work up something else that is lower profile. However, other than spray paint this cost me nothing more than 1.5 hrs of my time .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (71.9 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender_1.jpg (126.0 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender_2.jpg (60.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender_3.jpg (65.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender_4.jpg (66.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender_4 (2).jpg (59.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender (2).jpg (55.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender_1 (2).jpg (66.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender_2 (2).jpg (49.1 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1399.jpg (108.1 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1398.jpg (123.8 KB, 137 views)

EM Doo/torsion spring, MC Mod, Thermo-Bob, KLX needle, De-snorkeled, K&N AF, JNS Skidplate

Last edited by joefuskie; 08-11-2015 at 01:45 PM.
joefuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:43 PM   #2
shadinsb
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Feb 2013
Locale: Central California
Postings: 975
shadinsb is on a distinguished road
Default Re: License Plate Relocate

Had to do the same.
I used these to mount and light up the plate, and put the stock lamp in the parts box.

Adventure ride. Rest well.
shadinsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-11-2015, 01:48 PM   #3
joefuskie

Super Cool Since: Jun 2014
Locale: Maine
Postings: 81
joefuskie is on a distinguished road

That's what I'd like to replace my setup with further down the road. Who makes those and how much? Have they held up well?

EM Doo/torsion spring, MC Mod, Thermo-Bob, KLX needle, De-snorkeled, K&N AF, JNS Skidplate
joefuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:53 PM   #4
shadinsb
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Feb 2013
Locale: Central California
Postings: 975
shadinsb is on a distinguished road

I got them from Amazon, around $10. Not a name brand. Just search 'license plate led' on Amazon or similar.
Actually, I wound up getting two sets because the durability of the first didn't match my 'finesse.'

The wires are thin, and they are held only by the solder inside.
First thing to do is fix this fragility.
They work fine.
Adventure ride. Rest well.
shadinsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:04 AM   #5
Hvymax
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Nov 2016
Locale: Southern Maryland
Postings: 101
Hvymax is on a distinguished road

I used a dummy Claymore hitch cover. I cut and reformed the bracket and added red led lugs where the caps go wired to the brake lights and a clear led lug in the middle for a tag light.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170601_101301004_HDR.jpg (111.0 KB, 47 views)
Hvymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:25 AM   #6
WiRider
Not one of the experts.

Super Cool Since: Mar 2012
Locale: Madtown
Postings: 2,549
WiRider has a spectacular aura aboutWiRider has a spectacular aura about

Bottomed out the rear shock and broke the rear sub-fender below reflectors, so lost the license plate.

That square "bump" on the rear fender... I took a grinding wheel to it and ground it off flat, yes it left a square hole. Original license plate lamp not good enough so mounted a compact but bright led license plate light at center below the tail light and then used license plate IN license plate frame to mark the mounting holes, drilled, mounted. Real short work. Plate is very visible at night.

Did also cut off rear sub-fender leaving just stock reflectors visible. Turns out those stock reflectors are required by law at least in this state, and reflectors a safety item I wanted to keep anyways.

Last edited by WiRider; 09-07-2017 at 12:39 AM.
WiRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:47 AM   #7
rjmay3

Super Cool Since: Aug 2013
Locale: Phoenix area
Postings: 360
rjmay3 is on a distinguished road

My rear tire was eating the sub fender when I lowered the bike. Removed the sub fender and moved the license plate under the taillight, using the factory plate bracket. Added led running lights from Wal-Mart to my ammo box on either side, using acorn nuts inside so as not to damage anything I carry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170906_213829.jpg (50.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20170906_214008.jpg (52.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 09-07-2017, 09:02 AM   #8
MARROBLET
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Dec 2016
Locale: Niagara Falls, NY
Postings: 29
MARROBLET is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmay3 View Post
My rear tire was eating the sub fender when I lowered the bike. Removed the sub fender and moved the license plate under the taillight, using the factory plate bracket. Added led running lights from Wal-Mart to my ammo box on either side, using acorn nuts inside so as not to damage anything I carry.
Can the bottom of the brake light lens be cut open a little and then glue in a clear piece of plastic to light the plate. I have seen other street bikes that use this method stock. Seems to be a clean solution.
MARROBLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:25 AM   #9
Tumbleweed
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: May 2005
Locale: 28:48 hrs East of Spoon Booty
Postings: 9,175
Tumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of light

Sure, but if you live in an inspection state you may need to make some sort of extension to block any white light from shining back out directly to the driver behind, due to the angle of the brake light.

I used an LED license frame from Custom Dynamics.
https://www.customdynamics.com/categ...s-mounts/other

I know it is not the low-budget option, I wanted something that was durable and would last. This one has proven itself to be worth the $$. I have it mounted upside down so the LEDs shoot up, not back into traffic. I was worried about it possibly being exposed to more weather this way, but that is not an issue. The lighting works great, going on 11 years of service - same LEDs, burning just bright enough.

TW
Tumbleweed - IBA #58468
'03 KLR650 "Fu Manchu" / '12 VStrom 650 Adv
Photobucket hosted Photo library is gone, account is closed.

"To travel is to live" Hans Christian Andersen
Tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
license, plate, relocate