SiteLock
One more Heating/cooling question - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 First Generation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR650 First Generation 1987-2007 Related Topics

Old 09-13-2017, 01:08 PM   #1
boothbay
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2017
Locale: usa
Postings: 53
boothbay is on a distinguished road
Default One more Heating/cooling question

The 02 klr i "new" to me, and trying to get a good understanding of the operations of a healthy KLR.

I have noticed on the few short rides I've done between upgrades, that the temp gauge reads just over the half way mark after riding a few miles or around town. The fan does come on, and maintains the gauge reading.

Based on my other moto's, the heat climbs too quickly and the fan engages way too soon for my understanding of water cooled motorcycle engines.

The engine just feels 'hot' and can def feel the heat as I ride. Is this normal for the 650 thumper?

I've read many threads concerning the cooling system, and haven't flushed or changed the coolant (as I intend to do, being that I don't know the full history of the bike).

I realize that it might be premature to ask, without doing a full system check...thermostat, water flow, ect.
boothbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:38 PM   #2
DPelletier
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Aug 2010
Locale: Kelowna B.C.
Postings: 6,239
DPelletier will become famous soon enoughDPelletier will become famous soon enough
Default Re: One more Heating/cooling question

sounds relatively normal to me. ....my belief is that many/most of the "my KLR is running hot" threads are actually about bikes that are working normally. Of course it is possible that you have a bad thermostat, partially plugged rad, running too lean, etc. etc......or not.

Me? my bike never pukes coolant into the overflow that I've noticed and the gauge never gets pegged on the hot side so I don't worry much. .....one solution is to buy a bike without a temp gauge!

Dave
twins; 2000 & 2001 KLR's: Cogent suspension, 320mm rotor+SV calipers, IMS tanks+ tankvest, Knight designs pegs, Anti-gravity batteries, Renthal bars, MT21 and D606 tires, FMF Q4 and LeoVince X3, ...and most everything that Eaglemike makes! :-)
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-13-2017, 09:54 PM   #3
boothbay
A Regular

yeah...idiot lights are foolproof. You brought up a few possibilities, namely the lean condition of the fuel/air. With the new carb set-up with the 7/64 diaphragm mod and a single shim at the needle, I believe I turned out the air screw 1 3/4 turn. This is all with a 42 pilot (didn't have a 40 when rebuilding the carb). Never had a chance to do a check on the ratio, with the intention of getting to it later, and recently sold my Innovate Motorsports a/F guage.

I'll go through all checks of the cooling system tomorrow and post results.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:35 AM   #4
boothbay
A Regular

After a system check, I've determined that all is good. Before I senselessly drained the rad of clean, clear (translucent blue) fluid to give it a thorough flush, I decided on temperature readings of the coolant, first.

After running the bike at idle and watching the temp gauge climb to the just over halfway mark, I checked for the fan to switch. This was done while the cap was off of the rad to check/ensure that the circulation was occurring.

Now, armed with an infrared and a meat thermometer, I let her run again. At first check of the meat thermometer, I go a reading of 68F, which was close to the ambient temp pf the air. Letting it run and watching the gauge, the fan clicked in at 160 and rapidly cooled the temp of the coolant down to 145F. With the infrared, The reading at the engine cylinder was 158F.

Checked the hoses and all seemed to be good, with the lower hose much cooler than the upper. With good circulation, respectable heat range and fan in operation, I'd say all is good. I still want to inspect the thermostat for any blockage, however minor.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:02 PM   #5
DPelletier
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Aug 2010
Locale: Kelowna B.C.
Postings: 6,239
DPelletier will become famous soon enoughDPelletier will become famous soon enough

sounds good. Regardless of your thoughts on a thermobob, I've found lots of good information regarding KLR cooling on Bill's site: https://watt-man.com/Information__Articles.html

Cheers,
Dave
twins; 2000 & 2001 KLR's: Cogent suspension, 320mm rotor+SV calipers, IMS tanks+ tankvest, Knight designs pegs, Anti-gravity batteries, Renthal bars, MT21 and D606 tires, FMF Q4 and LeoVince X3, ...and most everything that Eaglemike makes! :-)
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:33 PM   #6
rjmay3

Super Cool Since: Aug 2013
Locale: Phoenix area
Postings: 320
rjmay3 is on a distinguished road

T-bob and a new larger radiator = no "running hot" issues here in Phoenix. The t-bob has my engine warmed up before I hit the interstate a short distance away, and the fan only comes on only when I'm at a prolonged stop or stuck in traffic. It barely goes past half on the gauge at 85 in 110+ degree weather.

A few bolt-ons and I've got peace of mind with my 19 year old bike.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:50 AM   #7
boothbay
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmay3 View Post
T-bob and a new larger radiator = no "running hot" issues here in Phoenix. The t-bob has my engine warmed up before I hit the interstate a short distance away, and the fan only comes on only when I'm at a prolonged stop or stuck in traffic. It barely goes past half on the gauge at 85 in 110+ degree weather.

A few bolt-ons and I've got peace of mind with my 19 year old bike.
For future reference, if needed...where did the radiator come from? Was it aftermarket, or scavenged from another bike? Curious.
Sponsored links

Tags
heating or cooling, question