SiteLock
2018 Arivaca Outback - Dual Sport Desert Daze - Page 2 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > United States
> Southwest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2018, 12:12 AM   #21
alaskasail
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Aug 2009
Locale: Arizona-Alaska....
Postings: 213
alaskasail is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2018 Arivaca Outback - Dual Sport Desert Daze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkitchen View Post
<SNIP>
I have my reservation for La Siesta and will be getting there on Tuesday, February 20. So if anyone wants to come early and do some extra riding, that would be great. Since Mo is coming this year, I am bringing my tent trailer. The ground seems a bit harder than it did 20 years ago and getting up off the ground seems a bit more challenging too. Anyhow, if you do come early and stay at the campground, come on over for coffee. We usually have a fresh pot going.
Mikey
I'm going to be at the house so I expect you to check in and perhaps do some recon with me on the condition of some of the trails. If you have a drone, maybe we can get some real time pictures. I'm scouting for one now.

Also, the coffee shop is now open at 8 am and a number of locals agglutinate there to bitch about the government, taxes, grout, etc.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:26 AM   #22
mkitchen

Super Cool Since: Feb 2014
Locale: Kingman AZ, the heart of rt. 66
Postings: 554
mkitchen is on a distinguished road

Well heck, with that personal invite, how can i decline and pre-riding some trails would be great. Hangning out at the coffee house sounds good too as does some stronger libations later in the day.

On another note, I won a brand new Shinko 804 front tire (110/80 19) from an earlier ride and don't have a use for it. Does anyone have an interest in this tire. If someone wants to give me $40 for it, I will bring it down with me.
mkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:30 PM   #23
mkitchen

Being a near-dead, my memory is for crap. But so is my stamina, endurance, good looks and savings account. For the life of me, I can't remember if there is a filling station in Arivaca. So Andy, or anyone else with better recall than my own, could you help me out here?
Mikey
Old 02-13-2018, 06:49 PM   #24
dberte
dberte

Super Cool Since: Jul 2014
Locale: Camp Verde, Arizona
Postings: 486
dberte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Being a near-dead, my memory is for crap. But so is my stamina, endurance, good looks and savings account. For the life of me, I can't remember if there is a filling station in Arivaca. So Andy, or anyone else with better recall than my own, could you help me out here?
Mikey
Yes, the mercantile, (grocery Store) has pumps. Pay at the pump.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:31 PM   #25
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Phoenix, Az
Postings: 18,846
Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Well heck, with that personal invite, how can i decline and pre-riding some trails would be great. Hangning out at the coffee house sounds good too as does some stronger libations later in the day.

On another note, I won a brand new Shinko 804 front tire (110/80 19) from an earlier ride and don't have a use for it. Does anyone have an interest in this tire. If someone wants to give me $40 for it, I will bring it down with me.
Mikey,
That tire will fit my Tenere. 804's on the Tenere work well. Not sure yet if I can make Arivaca just yet.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:02 PM   #26
mkitchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck B View Post
Mikey,
That tire will fit my Tenere. 804's on the Tenere work well. Not sure yet if I can make Arivaca just yet.
Chuck, if you want it, I can have Mo bring it down with her to AJ this weekend if you want to pick it up there. She is going to be staying at our daughter's through the weekend. The other option is I can bring it with me to the Spring Ride but you usually ride there and the tire may be a bit of a pain to carry. Either way, your choice.
Mikey
Old 02-15-2018, 08:54 AM   #27
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Phoenix, Az
Postings: 18,846
Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

Mikey,
Good chance I'll need to work a few hours Saturday AM down off 60 and Signal Butte. About as close to AJ as most will ever want to be lol. Lets plan for it.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:00 AM   #28
mkitchen

Sending an email
Mikey
Old 02-15-2018, 04:39 PM   #29
C5dad

Super Cool Since: Aug 2015
Locale: Arizona
Postings: 302
C5dad is on a distinguished road

Mikey

There is fuel in Arivaca and coming down I-19 - stopping in Green Valley for sure. Lots of choices

Corbin Seat w upgraded seat pad, EM Fork Brace w/ Acerbis fender, Cogent Moab and front springs, USB and 12 v accessory outlet; Cee Bailey windsheld; MC Mod; deCalifornicated; upcoming 685 kit.
C5dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:41 PM   #30
dberte
dberte

I am heading down Friday, will try and catch up with you Mikey Friday pm. I have got a room at the Pandora Ranch House just a few miles south of Arivaca, seems to be a nice place with good reviews and the rooms all have private restrooms. also the price per night is reasonable. Is anyone familiar with this place? Either way I will be by Sunday morning.
Looking forward to a great weekend.
Darrell
Old 02-17-2018, 01:00 PM   #31
C5dad

Super Cool Since: Aug 2015
Locale: Arizona
Postings: 302
C5dad is on a distinguished road

Pandora Ranch House has good reviews on Yelp, FWIW.

Corbin Seat w upgraded seat pad, EM Fork Brace w/ Acerbis fender, Cogent Moab and front springs, USB and 12 v accessory outlet; Cee Bailey windsheld; MC Mod; deCalifornicated; upcoming 685 kit.
C5dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:04 PM   #32
dberte
dberte

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5dad View Post
Pandora Ranch House has good reviews on Yelp, FWIW.
Thanks, looks like a nice place and I don't have to freeze in my tent. I am ok with cold just not mid 20s like last year.
Darrell
Old 02-17-2018, 11:11 PM   #33
alaskasail
A Regular

It appears that there is some confusion about accommodations. If you check the "ACCOMMODATIONS" section on the Outback page you will find a list of places to stay.

Remember that you are welcome to camp at my place if you bring everything on your motorcycle: no RVs or trailers.

We got something like 2 inches of rain the last couple of days, but it will be dried out by the time things start and the weather has been amazingly warm so camping should be good.

Last edited by alaskasail; 02-17-2018 at 11:18 PM.
alaskasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:02 AM   #34
alaskasail
A Regular

Default Re: 2018 Arivaca Outback - GPX files

It was brought to my attention that the gpx files I have listed with Alltrails on the "Some Rides We Have Taken" of the A/O page are unavailable until you pay for them. When I realized that, I made them available on the above A/O page. The Alltrails service allows you to look at pictures and get some narration which is a good thing. Someday, when I am so beat up that all I can do is sit at a computer, I'll see if I can make individual sub-pages for each ride. In the meantime, I'm looking for a service that will allow me to post gpx files, pictures and narrations without cost. Any ideas there?

I don't want to make this too polished however, and want to emphasize that these are just trips that a guy in his late 60s to 70s has taken. They are NOT recommendations because,
  • my skill level will be different than yours,
  • the conditions on these routes changes regularly (for better or worse) and some time has passed since they were recorded,
    and
  • I was an idiot and rode some stuff beyond my skill level.

So beware.

On the other hand, the Border Patrol and the Forest Service have been grading and improving many roads around here and they can be really easy riding.

There is about every kind of ride here for any skill level, and it's up to you to turn around if things get beyond your comfort level. Once, I was flying a little bush plane all day and got within a mile-and-a-half of my destination, but turned around and went back when conditions became marginal. I probably could have landed, but it just wasn't worth it. Oh, and my wife's fingernails were embedded in my neck.

The bottom line is as it is with everything.... things change so be prepared.
Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM   #35
alaskasail
A Regular

Yesterday the first people arrived and set up over at La Siesta. It looks like a full house over there, but still places available if you don't want to brave the cold. However, it's warmer than last year. There will be a bunch at my place as well so get up here and stake out your spot. Chili and cornbread at 6 pm at my place.

18180 Arivaca/Sasabe Rd.

Full breakfast at La Siesta Saturday morning or some oatmeal at my place.

Dinner Saturday night at the Arivaca Community Center - 6pm and a Bonfire at La Siesta after.

Sourdough pancakes Sunday morning at the Community Center probably around 9 am. Come earlier for coffee.

Everything in between is ride, ride, ride...

Tags
2018, arivaca, daze, desert, dual, outback, sport