SiteLock
Buell XB Headlight Conversion - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > Procedures & How To Articles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Procedures & How To Articles KLR650 Modifications, Procedures, Tech Info

Old 10-28-2007, 10:25 AM   #1
Tumbleweed
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: May 2005
Locale: 28:48 hrs East of Spoon Booty
Postings: 9,167
Tumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of light
Default Buell XB Headlight Conversion

Here's a consolidated post of my efforts to put a better headlight on the KLR.

Materials:

Buell Headlight Assembly
PN: Y0421.1ADA
Description: Headlight Assy, RH
List price: $116.00

Additional parts I did not order but you may want:

M0645.1ADA Windscreen Mount - This also serves as the top bracket for the headlight mount.
M1600.1ACMW Black Windscreen
M0023.1AJAYT Headlight Grill

Mounting Material (Lowe's):
Buell headlight fasteners: 1/4 x 20 X 3/4"
I used zinc Grade 8
3' 1/2 OD Welding Tube
3' 1/8" X 2" wide flat welding steel

I also need to send a huge thank you to Eagle Mike for donating a Headlight Fairing bracket, that allowed me to do this work while still using my bike to commute.

And another thank you to Joe I mean John Horvath, who generously donated an Acerbis KX250 fender which was destroyed during my attempt to fit it to the fender brace and run it as a low fender. Very sorry about that, chalk it up to R&D.
Tumbleweed - IBA #58468
'03 KLR650 "Fu Manchu" / '12 VStrom 650 Adv
Photobucket hosted Photo library is gone, account is closed.

"To travel is to live" Hans Christian Andersen

Last edited by Tumbleweed; 10-28-2007 at 11:19 AM.
Tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:26 AM   #2
Tumbleweed
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Tumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Buell Headlight for Stock Fairing Install Write-Up

The Mod:

Remove your fairing.
Remove existing Headlight assembly.
Remove Headlight/Fairing Bracket from Bike.

Cut Off the Headlight mounting Ears:

Now it's time to build the mount, I don't have build pictures for this but the pics show what I came up with.

I used two tabs where the turn signal brackets attach as the connection point for the new headlight mount I'll call the Loop.

I cut the flat stock to legnth, bent it in my vise with a ball peen hammer then drilled 1/4" holes.

For the Actual mounting loop, I bent it by hand using my Jeep tow bar tabs as the holder. They are 1/4" plate steel with 1/2" hole so it worked alright.

I cut mounting tabs for the top of the headlight out of the flat stock and shaped them with the hacksaw, then finished with my handheld angle grinder and a handfile. Nothing pretty here, no fancy machines.

To Attache the headlight tabs, I cut slots in the tube, and inserted the tabs, then crimped the tub onto the tab to hold it in place and brazed them together with a small Oxygen/MAPP gas welding/brazing torch kit I have. A mig welder would have been nice, but not in the budget.

I then mounted the headlight to the tabs and attempted to find "square" on the bike. Tough to do with hand bent metal.
With the headlight as close to level as I could make it. I marked the down tubes where they met the 90 degree brackets and drilled 1/4 holes, then I slotted the bracket holes to allow for left right alignment.

The last thing is the bottom mount. This must be adjustable for the up/down aiming of the headlight.

I found some metal in my pile of random raw materials (unused brackets from something) that had a nice machined slot. I cut a section of this out, put an S shape bend in it, and drilled a hole to mount in the Headlight/Fairing bracket headlight adjuster bolt hole.

So far, so good.....

Tumbleweed - IBA #58468

Sponsored links
Old 10-28-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
Tumbleweed
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Now to mount the Fairing....

Looks like I hit my target pretty well, keep the light in the same place so just some trimming is necessary.

After much trial and error, I finally figured out where the fairing was interferring and got it to fit without touching anywhere.

The Headlight Loop fits snug up against the fairing and will help if I put a gear bag or tool kit on the front.

I did not make the main loop mount brackets long enough to fit the stock turnsignal brackets back on. This is good/bad... the fairing seems plenty strong to hold the turn signals, and I mounted them directly by adding some washers to the post, but the fairing does flex a bit on the road. Longer mounting tabs for the loop will allow the turn signal support brackets to fit fine, and they would go outside the tubing, instead of inside.

The end result looks pretty good I think.

I've got more planned, including a whole new rally fairing, but that is going to take time and $$$. So I'm happy with Stage 1.

The headlight is wired for Right side low beam, left side High beam. This can be changed to have both on. I am using the totally wired headlight relay kit for now and didn't feel like cutting into it yet.

TW
Tumbleweed - IBA #58468

Old 10-28-2007, 01:43 PM   #4
stumpjumper
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Feb 2005
Locale: WA
Postings: 67
stumpjumper is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Buell Headlight for Stock Fairing Install Write-Up

I like it. Hows the light output? Are the lights individually adjustable or just the unit? Im not sure what bulbs those have but could you put a high/low bulb in each side and run both lows/highs at the same time?
Looking forward to the new faring.
stumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:57 PM   #5
Tumbleweed
LEVEL 3 STAFF

The light output it much better to me. The unit adjusts, not the individual lights. The H7 bulbs are single fillament, run clean and bright white. The H7 is typically a high beam bulb in the auto industry, here the optics (reflectors) are set for the low beam pattern on the right and the high on the left. The High beam looses it's side fill some, so the Buell crowd has been converting the wiring to keep the low beam when runnign the highbeam. I haven't done this yet, but will. I'm also going to get the city light bulb and wire that in too. I don't know about swapping to run dual fillament bulbs.

TW
Tumbleweed - IBA #58468

Old 10-28-2007, 10:01 PM   #6
mcrider18
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Sep 2004
Locale: IN
Postings: 848
mcrider18 is on a distinguished road

Very cool setup Tumbleweed. It looks like you did a great job. I like the looks of it.
mcrider18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 02:42 PM   #7
willys
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Jan 2006
Locale: padded room
Postings: 12,158
willys is on a distinguished road

Hi:

This mod is very interesting but I'm not too keen on the stock fairing...sorry....you have a pic in your photobucket of your bike with a black one on.....which fairing is that one??? To me it looks much better.
Thanks...oh yeh...I found a site that sells the light assembly for under $50.....someone on the DR site posted it up. So I want to get a better working light on my bike too.

Thanks again
willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:51 PM   #8
Tumbleweed
LEVEL 3 STAFF

The black fairing was made by a guy on ADV. It's a one of a kind. I'm working on my own design, close but different. I need to get through the next 6 months are so before I really have time and $$ to spend on it, so for now I'm running the standard fairing.

Here's my post about the whole project.
https://74.52.178.146/~glenn651/forum...ad.php?t=32559

TW
Tumbleweed - IBA #58468

Last edited by Tumbleweed; 11-24-2007 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:19 PM   #9
Johnny Wonderbread
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Oct 2006
Locale: Honeoye Falls, NY (Fingerlakes)
Postings: 4,506
Johnny Wonderbread is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Wonderbread is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Wonderbread is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Wonderbread is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Wonderbread is a glorious beacon of light

Awesome! Come over to my place and install one in mine and make sure you rewire so the lows stay on when going to high..
Old 11-24-2007, 06:49 PM   #10
Tumbleweed
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wonderbread View Post
Awesome! Come over to my place and install one in mine and make sure you rewire so the lows stay on when going to high..
I'm a bit concerned about melting the housing after reading some on the Uly boards..... the housing is glued together like most modern assemblies, essentially hot glue... and both stock H& bulbs can heat up enough to cause problems sometimes, swaping in one HID would not be much of a problem though.....

Making the hoop is pretty easy really, I'm just not set up to make anything right now.

TW
Tumbleweed - IBA #58468

Sponsored links
Old 11-25-2007, 01:14 AM   #11
Johnny Wonderbread
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Oct 2006
Locale: Honeoye Falls, NY (Fingerlakes)
Postings: 4,506
Johnny Wonderbread is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Wonderbread is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Wonderbread is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Wonderbread is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Wonderbread is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
I'm a bit concerned about melting the housing after reading some on the Uly boards..... the housing is glued together like most modern assemblies, essentially hot glue... and both stock H& bulbs can heat up enough to cause problems sometimes, swaping in one HID would not be much of a problem though.....

Making the hoop is pretty easy really, I'm just not set up to make anything right now.

TW

Let me know what you end up doing.. I'm very interested!!

Thanks!!
Old 07-02-2008, 08:56 PM   #12
blender
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Dec 2003
Postings: 191
blender is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
The light output it much better to me. The unit adjusts, not the individual lights. The H7 bulbs are single fillament, run clean and bright white.
TW
BTW, since a separate Hi/low H7 is used you might consider going to a HID for either the hi or low unit. This is what I used on a BMW R12GS low beam. https://www.xenonrider.com/products/h...hid_kits.shtml. I used the "slim line" ballast which helped at "hiding" it.

The HID low beam does throw out a lot of light and seems to help with visibility.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:53 PM   #13
Blind Driver
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Feb 2012
Locale: New Albany, In
Postings: 31
Blind Driver is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Buell XB Headlight Conversion

Pics don't work
Blind Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags