SiteLock
heel toe shifter - Page 2 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Second Generation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR650 Second Generation 2008-2017+ Related Topics

Old 01-06-2018, 04:05 PM   #21
Dougie Fresh
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2008
Locale: Cleveland Tennessee
Postings: 28
Dougie Fresh is on a distinguished road
Default Re: heel toe shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuri77 View Post
Been using this for over 3 years and hasn't let me down yet. Best thing is easy to make with no welding necessary. I used 3/8 inch allthread because I didn't have a source for metric but now that I do, would use probably 8 or 10mm next time. I drilled and threaded a 3/4 inch bolt for the allthread and then used a cutoff wheel to slot it to fit over the stock shifter. Then I drilled through shifter and bolt and put in a nut and bolt. Since it is held on by only one bolt it sometimes moves a little so I put 2 little bolts fore and aft to stop this.
You would think the allthread wouldn't stand the 90 degree bends but I did them slowly in a vise without even heating the rod. They've never cracked or bent. Got a couple of rubbers from previous bike broken foot levers.
It appears that the back part is too high but it's a result of a lot of trial and error to get where it it the most comfortable for me. I can actually put toe on front and heel on rear to shift up or down without being on the footpeg.
If I ever redo it I would get a wider piece instead of the 3/4 inch bolt so I could use 2 nut and bolts to anchor it. But at present works like a charm and have other farkles more pressing.
I down loaded the picture and will make this my winter project since my left foot don't work well any more...
Old 01-06-2018, 10:03 PM   #22
kuri77

Super Cool Since: Mar 2008
Locale: Orange County, Ca
Postings: 1,091
kuri77 is on a distinguished road

I think I would get a one inch bolt and square it off to make it easier to drill. The larger bolt would let you drill 2 one quarter inch holes leaving 1/8th inch on the sides and a 1/4 inch space between the holes. This would eliminate rocking of the allthread and the two little bolts I put in to help stabilize. I've had this for over 7 yrs now and still same allthread. Some people gave me crap about it saying it would break, bend or crack. Didn't happen. To make sure you never have to do it again you could use thicker allthread if you're worried.
(I just used what was at hand so if you have 1inch solid square tubing all the better)
Old 01-13-2018, 02:25 PM   #23
clogan

Super Cool Since: Dec 2010
Locale: Ooltewah, Tennessee
Postings: 773
clogan is a jewel in the roughclogan is a jewel in the roughclogan is a jewel in the rough

I catch the shifter peg with my left heel, and pull up with my leg. No worries.
2016 KTM Superduke GT
clogan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heel, shifter, toe