SiteLock
New Rider from Glendale AZ - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Member Introductions Please, take a minute to introduce yourself to everyone!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2017, 11:30 AM   #1
Gaffgorion
Member
 
Super Cool Since: Nov 2017
Locale: Arizona
Postings: 12
Gaffgorion is on a distinguished road
Default New Rider from Glendale AZ

Hey Everyone,

I bought a KLR 2007 pretty loaded about 3 weeks ago. Wanted to say hi and let everyone know I am looking for riding and tinker buddies to test my abilities and aren't afraid to tell me I'm an idiot.

So far I've taken it off road two weekends and have tried riding it everyday that is convenient. This is also my first time riding any motorbike in my life

I plan on adding pics and stuff later.
Gaffgorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:18 PM   #2
RDW
 
Super Cool Since: Oct 2011
Locale: Kansas, USA
Postings: 994
RDW has a spectacular aura aboutRDW has a spectacular aura aboutRDW has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: New Rider from Glendale AZ

Greetings, welcome to the forum and KLRing! Congratulations on the new bike!

As a new rider I hope you got in on a Motorcycle Safety Course or will very soon. Really helpful for fun and safe riding.

Take care, RD

ps- I'm not afraid to tell you you're an idiot, but you're probably not. (unless you don't take the safety course, of course. haha)
__________________
If one rides as one lives, would one be in the ditch?

'06 KLR 650- SOLD!!
'12 KLR 650- Blue/White/Black
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-06-2017, 07:54 PM   #3
Gaffgorion
Member
 
Super Cool Since: Nov 2017
Locale: Arizona
Postings: 12
Gaffgorion is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Rider from Glendale AZ

Thanks man.

I actually took the motorcycle safety course a month before I bought my bike. Since I never rode a bike before I figured paying $300 to find out I didn't like it was better than paying a couple Grand then wanting to back out. I was grinning the whole time I was on the bike so of course I bought one.

I've actually been planning on getting a bike for about 3 years and the KLR sounded like the most entertaining option. So far no regrets.
Gaffgorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:17 PM   #4
C5dad
 
C5dad's Avatar
 
Super Cool Since: Aug 2015
Locale: Arizona
Postings: 276
C5dad is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Rider from Glendale AZ

Welcome

AZ has a large contingent online. Tech days (hopefully at Haldor's Casa) are awesome and we get some folks that are real legends (and some who are legends in their own minds, lol)

Watch the Southwest forum for details.

Cheers!
__________________
I'm an engineer Jim, not a comedian!

Corbin Seat w upgraded seat pad, EM Fork Brace w/ Acerbis fender, Cogent Moab and front springs, USB and 12 v accessory outlet; Cee Bailey windsheld; MC Mod; deCalifornicated; upcoming 685 kit.
C5dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:58 PM   #5
rjmay3
Active Member
 
Super Cool Since: Aug 2013
Locale: Phoenix area
Postings: 359
rjmay3 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Rider from Glendale AZ

Hey Glendale! You know those ugly green cabs on Camelback? I drive one. Lol.

Welcome to the board. Plenty of us AZ guys here... most seem to be in the valley.

I may be heading up to Prescott/Jerome area in the next week or so, by way of Grand Ave to Wickenburg, then 89 all the way in. BEAUTIFUL views for a relatively local ride. I wanna get one more in before winter sets in. 2 weeks ago, I rode out to Lake Havasu, then for some stupid reason thought Hoover Dam would also be part of the plan. Almost 600 miles covered that day.

If you're game for a day trip up north soon, let me know.
__________________
98 KLR 692... streeted(tires, 17t, lowered 2.5", fork brace, springs), doo, KLX needle, V&H j tube, DG muffler, FH020AA, t-bob, thicker rad, 1157 front marker bulbs.
rjmay3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:46 PM   #6
Gaffgorion
Member
 
Super Cool Since: Nov 2017
Locale: Arizona
Postings: 12
Gaffgorion is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Rider from Glendale AZ

Thanks guys & I'm totally down! I however have a new problem though with my bike I wanna check out first. I think I might have to do the doo(Which was supposedly done). The engine is making a weird noise at idle sounds crunchy in there... I'm not sure if the bike made the sound when I bought it or after I took it to four peaks for an entire day. The problem is I have no idea what they're supposed to sound like so...

I'm going to flush the fluids, rebuild the carb(I'm not sure how long the bike sat before I bought it). Oh yeah... And my gas boils after warmed up and sounds like a fuel starvation problem I think caused by a vacuum somewhere so I think I'm going to change to a manual petcock hopefully that fixes it. Annoys me because when I bought the bike I had a mechanic nut and bolt it and they said it was like a brand new 2007 needs nothing...

So unless I figure this out I'm out a few weeks at least(getting parts and tools I don't have). I tell you I'm super bummed cause it was supposed to be flawless lol. Then on the week of xmas I'm going camping in Colorado so that week is out. I might be out of the picture for this one but definitely PM details and I might be clear and if not we can figure something else out.
Gaffgorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:10 PM   #7
RDW
 
Super Cool Since: Oct 2011
Locale: Kansas, USA
Postings: 994
RDW has a spectacular aura aboutRDW has a spectacular aura aboutRDW has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: New Rider from Glendale AZ

" took the motorcycle safety course a month before I bought my bike"

Wow! I'm impressed. That shows wisdom!! Happy riding!

Take care, RD
__________________
If one rides as one lives, would one be in the ditch?

'06 KLR 650- SOLD!!
'12 KLR 650- Blue/White/Black
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:17 PM   #8
rjmay3
Active Member
 
Super Cool Since: Aug 2013
Locale: Phoenix area
Postings: 359
rjmay3 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Rider from Glendale AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffgorion View Post
Thanks guys & I'm totally down! I however have a new problem though with my bike I wanna check out first. I think I might have to do the doo(Which was supposedly done). The engine is making a weird noise at idle sounds crunchy in there... I'm not sure if the bike made the sound when I bought it or after I took it to four peaks for an entire day. The problem is I have no idea what they're supposed to sound like so...

I'm going to flush the fluids, rebuild the carb(I'm not sure how long the bike sat before I bought it). Oh yeah... And my gas boils after warmed up and sounds like a fuel starvation problem I think caused by a vacuum somewhere so I think I'm going to change to a manual petcock hopefully that fixes it. Annoys me because when I bought the bike I had a mechanic nut and bolt it and they said it was like a brand new 2007 needs nothing...

So unless I figure this out I'm out a few weeks at least(getting parts and tools I don't have). I tell you I'm super bummed cause it was supposed to be flawless lol. Then on the week of xmas I'm going camping in Colorado so that week is out. I might be out of the picture for this one but definitely PM details and I might be clear and if not we can figure something else out.
I have doo tools. Don't buy them. I'm in all different parts of Glendale because of my work. I can loan them to you, but I want all of the dust returned in place. Lol
__________________
98 KLR 692... streeted(tires, 17t, lowered 2.5", fork brace, springs), doo, KLX needle, V&H j tube, DG muffler, FH020AA, t-bob, thicker rad, 1157 front marker bulbs.
rjmay3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:34 PM   #9
rjmay3
Active Member
 
Super Cool Since: Aug 2013
Locale: Phoenix area
Postings: 359
rjmay3 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Rider from Glendale AZ

Do you have your motorcycle endorsement yet? If not, I suggest getting a few of those mini cones and head to MVD on 59th near Bell. They have the road test course behind the building and you can go there to practice after their business hours... maybe on the weekend so you have SOME daylight. The cone slolam is a bitch because I've never run across it in real life. The trick is to light launch, pull in the clutch and set revs about 2000. Then feather the clutch out a few times to maintain momentum during tight slolam.
__________________
98 KLR 692... streeted(tires, 17t, lowered 2.5", fork brace, springs), doo, KLX needle, V&H j tube, DG muffler, FH020AA, t-bob, thicker rad, 1157 front marker bulbs.
rjmay3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:46 PM   #10
Gaffgorion
Member
 
Super Cool Since: Nov 2017
Locale: Arizona
Postings: 12
Gaffgorion is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Rider from Glendale AZ

Thanks RJ.

Yeah I got my endorsement on my license before I bought my bike so I could test drive it. I've put 600 miles on the bike mixed riding since. I spent an entire day at a place near fountain hills all off road too. I put an album in my profile. I just got back from an oriellys near me bought a toolkit to tinker with. I'm poking around my bike as we speak.

Let me know when you make you way around GL I am antsy to get back in the saddle lol. I haven't bought anything related to the doo yet I'm secretly hoping I'm just crazy.
Gaffgorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-07-2017, 11:14 PM   #11
C5dad
 
C5dad's Avatar
 
Super Cool Since: Aug 2015
Locale: Arizona
Postings: 276
C5dad is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Rider from Glendale AZ

depending on the mileage, you might want to preemptively replace the diaphragm on the carb. Getting rid of the vacuum petcock is a wise move as well. If you still have issues, you may need to clean the fuel cap vent as well.
__________________
I'm an engineer Jim, not a comedian!

Corbin Seat w upgraded seat pad, EM Fork Brace w/ Acerbis fender, Cogent Moab and front springs, USB and 12 v accessory outlet; Cee Bailey windsheld; MC Mod; deCalifornicated; upcoming 685 kit.
C5dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:23 PM   #12
rjmay3
Active Member
 
Super Cool Since: Aug 2013
Locale: Phoenix area
Postings: 359
rjmay3 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Rider from Glendale AZ

What's a big intersection near you? I'm sure you know that Glendale is pretty frickin big... Camelback, out to Luke, and up to the top of 59th by Pinnacle Peak. I can probably drop it off tomorrow or Saturday if you'd like. I do need to stop by Oakley inside Arrowhead Mall at some point... low on glass cleaner. I'm barely in Buckeye, so the 10, 101, and 303 are real close for me to get around.
__________________
98 KLR 692... streeted(tires, 17t, lowered 2.5", fork brace, springs), doo, KLX needle, V&H j tube, DG muffler, FH020AA, t-bob, thicker rad, 1157 front marker bulbs.
rjmay3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:31 PM   #13
Gaffgorion
Member
 
Super Cool Since: Nov 2017
Locale: Arizona
Postings: 12
Gaffgorion is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Rider from Glendale AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmay3 View Post
What's a big intersection near you? I'm sure you know that Glendale is pretty frickin big... Camelback, out to Luke, and up to the top of 59th by Pinnacle Peak. I can probably drop it off tomorrow or Saturday if you'd like. I do need to stop by Oakley inside Arrowhead Mall at some point... low on glass cleaner. I'm barely in Buckeye, so the 10, 101, and 303 are real close for me to get around.
Yeah it is. 79th Ave and Camelback, technically Peoria. Ill be working 830-5, Friday. Saturday I'll be chilling, and probably lurking the forums to figure stuff out lol. If its inconvenient I'll meet you, after all you're helping me and I can show you my bike.
Gaffgorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:33 PM   #14
Gaffgorion
Member
 
Super Cool Since: Nov 2017
Locale: Arizona
Postings: 12
Gaffgorion is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Rider from Glendale AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5dad View Post
depending on the mileage, you might want to preemptively replace the diaphragm on the carb. Getting rid of the vacuum petcock is a wise move as well. If you still have issues, you may need to clean the fuel cap vent as well.
Thanks, Ive been lurking around the forums, YouTube, Google, looking for issues. I bought a Cylmers manual too. I read some of the trouble shooting part when I had time. It appears it could be petcock, Carb, or even gas cap vent. Either way seems to lose power like fuel isn't getting to the engine. after I stop a bit it fixes itself. Could also be vapor lock... Of course never worked on engines so ill just wrench it to death until it listens to me.
Gaffgorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:46 PM   #15
C5dad
 
C5dad's Avatar
 
Super Cool Since: Aug 2015
Locale: Arizona
Postings: 276
C5dad is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Rider from Glendale AZ

Sounds like the same issues my son had with his 2008 w 42k smiles on it. He tore the carb apart several times and never found the issue until I asked him to thoroughly look at the diaphragm. That's when he found the pinholes. I bought the replacement off eBay for $13. Works like a champ now.

Keep us in the loop on your wrenching adventures!
__________________
I'm an engineer Jim, not a comedian!

Corbin Seat w upgraded seat pad, EM Fork Brace w/ Acerbis fender, Cogent Moab and front springs, USB and 12 v accessory outlet; Cee Bailey windsheld; MC Mod; deCalifornicated; upcoming 685 kit.
C5dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:49 PM   #16
Gaffgorion
Member
 
Super Cool Since: Nov 2017
Locale: Arizona
Postings: 12
Gaffgorion is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Rider from Glendale AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5dad View Post
Sounds like the same issues my son had with his 2008 w 42k smiles on it. He tore the carb apart several times and never found the issue until I asked him to thoroughly look at the diaphragm. That's when he found the pinholes. I bought the replacement off eBay for $13. Works like a champ now.

Keep us in the loop on your wrenching adventures!
Thanks, I will. The crappy thing is the bike only has 5400miles on it :P

It does however mean it has been sitting
Gaffgorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:10 AM   #17
C5dad
 
C5dad's Avatar
 
Super Cool Since: Aug 2015
Locale: Arizona
Postings: 276
C5dad is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Rider from Glendale AZ

Ethanolminnthe fuel does wonders for the polymeric materialsmitmcomesmin contact., hope there not a bunch of varnish in the system! I've been fighting with that on the 650gs I bought earlier this year. Lots o cleaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffgorion View Post
Thanks, I will. The crappy thing is the bike only has 5400miles on it :P

It does however mean it has been sitting
__________________
I'm an engineer Jim, not a comedian!

Corbin Seat w upgraded seat pad, EM Fork Brace w/ Acerbis fender, Cogent Moab and front springs, USB and 12 v accessory outlet; Cee Bailey windsheld; MC Mod; deCalifornicated; upcoming 685 kit.
C5dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:20 AM   #18
Gaffgorion
Member
 
Super Cool Since: Nov 2017
Locale: Arizona
Postings: 12
Gaffgorion is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Rider from Glendale AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5dad View Post
Ethanolminnthe fuel does wonders for the polymeric materialsmitmcomesmin contact., hope there not a bunch of varnish in the system! I've been fighting with that on the 650gs I bought earlier this year. Lots o cleaning.
Yeah wish we'd stop subsidizing the use of ethonal. Stuff sux and it'll cost us more in the end. In fact if it wasn't for subsidizing it we'd be in the hole. Waste of taxpayer dollars if you ask me. Biodiesel made via algae far more cost-effective practically grows itself. Plus diesel is awesome, wish I could get my hands on the military klrs.

By the way love the Star Trek quote. Me and my old man binge-watched the original series 1 year, very memorable. Dr. McCoy was one of our favorite characters for sure, cracked us up.
__________________
]2007, Happy Trail Panneirs, Tusk Shift Lever, Low Profile Drain bolt, Big Gun Exhaust, Progressive Springs, Tusk Bark Brakers, Front Fork Brace, IMS Crash Bars, Heated Grips, Cruise Control

Last edited by Gaffgorion; 12-08-2017 at 12:23 AM.
Gaffgorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:20 AM   #19
C5dad
 
C5dad's Avatar
 
Super Cool Since: Aug 2015
Locale: Arizona
Postings: 276
C5dad is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Rider from Glendale AZ

I have a diesel truck and unfortunately the ultra low sulfur fuel tears apart the seals like ethanol eats rubber. I've worked on a few algae projects and they look promising.

As a Trekkie of all genre's, you got to love McCoy!

Cheers!
__________________
I'm an engineer Jim, not a comedian!

Corbin Seat w upgraded seat pad, EM Fork Brace w/ Acerbis fender, Cogent Moab and front springs, USB and 12 v accessory outlet; Cee Bailey windsheld; MC Mod; deCalifornicated; upcoming 685 kit.
C5dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:53 AM   #20
rjmay3
Active Member
 
Super Cool Since: Aug 2013
Locale: Phoenix area
Postings: 359
rjmay3 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Rider from Glendale AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffgorion View Post
Yeah it is. 79th Ave and Camelback, technically Peoria. Ill be working 830-5, Friday. Saturday I'll be chilling, and probably lurking the forums to figure stuff out lol. If its inconvenient I'll meet you, after all you're helping me and I can show you my bike.
Wal-Mart near 101 or the 7-11 on 75th and Camelback might be good spots to meet up on Saturday. Just give me a time and place.
__________________
98 KLR 692... streeted(tires, 17t, lowered 2.5", fork brace, springs), doo, KLX needle, V&H j tube, DG muffler, FH020AA, t-bob, thicker rad, 1157 front marker bulbs.
rjmay3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Reply

Tags
glendale, rider

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KLR650 rider weight and total gear capacity. Emiliojr KLR650 Second Generation 5 11-15-2017 07:25 PM
New Cardo Scala Rider Forum Moderator and Technical Support scalarider Member Introductions 1 12-21-2016 07:06 PM
Rider Training in Northeast June 7-11 TLHBill Riding Technique 0 04-01-2016 10:17 AM
KLR Rider in U.P of Michigan / Northern WI Jsneeb Emergency Contacts 2 06-10-2015 04:00 PM
New klr650 rider in so cal #1mineman Member Introductions 7 04-23-2015 08:14 PM


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Copyright KLR650.NETAd Management by RedTyger