SiteLock
Parts #s 87-2007 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 First Generation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR650 First Generation 1987-2007 Related Topics

Old 06-27-2016, 08:52 PM   #1
Joej
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: May 2016
Locale: Az/co
Postings: 8
Joej is on a distinguished road
Default Parts #s 87-2007

Just curious here , I have a 99 & my son has an 03 , I have been using
Kawasaki parts house.com I like the exploded diagrams , my question is there are different part #s for the different years & some parts don't show for my 99 but do for the later models , a seat on eBay that I got for an 06/07 had diff #s but fit fine so my question is aren't all parts for that era the same ? ( 87-07 )
Joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:01 PM   #2
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Phoenix, Az
Postings: 18,684
Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Parts #s 87-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joej View Post
Just curious here , I have a 99 & my son has an 03 , I have been using
Kawasaki parts house.com I like the exploded diagrams , my question is there are different part #s for the different years & some parts don't show for my 99 but do for the later models , a seat on eBay that I got for an 06/07 had diff #s but fit fine so my question is aren't all parts for that era the same ? ( 87-07 )
Small changes requires different part numbers. In your seat example; my 92 seat is day glow blue, 94 is purple, 96 is dark blue, some were brown and of course many were black, however, some had kawasaki written on the side some had 650 and others hand nothing....all required different part numbers.

Basically, 87 thru 07 were very very similar and most parts do interchange. 96 had quite a few engine changes and a bit of electrical changes and fact is many Gen1 parts will fit Gen2 as well. I lost count the number of Gen1 heads I've installed on Gen2's...
Sponsored links
Old 06-28-2016, 08:34 AM   #3
Joej
Occasional Poster

Makes sense now ! Thnx
Old 06-28-2016, 09:15 AM   #4
trainman

Super Cool Since: Dec 2006
Locale: Ft. Worth, Texas
Postings: 714
trainman is on a distinguished road

If I got the years right, 87-95 has a different parts in the engine, that is these models had a smaller crankshaft. Now is far as the rest of the engine I don't know. Only seat differences I have ever found besides color was some of the earlier model seats and tanks did not have the extra clip where the seat hooked to the tank. All seats will fit all bikes, I have even used an 08 on a 95 model, just went right on. Not sure about the 2014 1/2-2016 seat, by from what I see, no difference in mountings.
trainman
Old 06-28-2016, 10:39 AM   #5
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Chuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to beholdChuck B is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
If I got the years right, 87-95 has a different parts in the engine, that is these models had a smaller crankshaft. Now is far as the rest of the engine I don't know. Only seat differences I have ever found besides color was some of the earlier model seats and tanks did not have the extra clip where the seat hooked to the tank. All seats will fit all bikes, I have even used an 08 on a 95 model, just went right on. Not sure about the 2014 1/2-2016 seat, by from what I see, no difference in mountings.
trainman
Pre 96 engines
Head...upper cam chain follower is built into the cover
Cylinder...different
Rotor...different
Stator...different
Balancer sprockets...different
Clutch basket...different
Clutch Plates...fewer
Internal gearing...lower

Gen2's have actually seen quite a few changes since 2008. Including multiple piston and rings changes, suspension upgrade, seat upgrade, addition of a cat in exhaust, rotor, stator, clutch baskets, fewer clutch plates, addition of fuel filter inside supply line at the carb, non-replaceable carb inlet but still no 6 sp gear box as marketing stated in 2008.

Last edited by Chuck B; 06-28-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Chuck B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:18 PM   #6
Joej
Occasional Poster

Great info chuck ! I'm rebuilding an engine my sons 03 balancer chain came apart so we replaced the lower end with a 98, the original 03 needs a little work but we plan on building a complete engine with eBay/Craigslist parts so I was just wondering before I order what I can use , thnx for all the info & chuck b I travel thru Flagg on the way home to az quite often I'll buy you a beer at one of the local breweries
Old 06-28-2016, 07:23 PM   #7
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joej View Post
Great info chuck ! I'm rebuilding an engine my sons 03 balancer chain came apart so we replaced the lower end with a 98, the original 03 needs a little work but we plan on building a complete engine with eBay/Craigslist parts so I was just wondering before I order what I can use , thnx for all the info & chuck b I travel thru Flagg on the way home to az quite often I'll buy you a beer at one of the local breweries
Glad to have helped. Feel free to PM for specifics if needed. I'm not much of a beer drinker but most breweries here in town have great food to accompany the beer.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:30 AM   #8
unclebuck
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2012
Locale: Buffalo County
Postings: 26
unclebuck is on a distinguished road

Are all Gen 1 clutch cables the same? My closest dealer lists mid 00's, pn 54011-0001, as $9 vs. 90's/early 00's pn 54011-1257, @ $25.
unclebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:36 AM   #9
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

All Gen1's are the same and all Gen2's are the same...either will work on either Gen's. I run a Gen2 on my Gen1 as it works better with the hand guards I use.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:43 AM   #10
unclebuck
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2012
Locale: Buffalo County
Postings: 26
unclebuck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck B View Post
All Gen1's are the same and all Gen2's are the same...either will work on either Gen's. I run a Gen2 on my Gen1 as it works better with the hand guards I use.
Thanks @ Chuck B!
unclebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
parts