SiteLock
SgtMarty tech day, May 8, 2010 (new date) - Page 2 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > United States
> The Rockies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2010, 09:43 AM   #21
kawioops
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Mar 2006
Locale: To hell and gone from spoonbooty!
Postings: 5,718
kawioops has a spectacular aura aboutkawioops has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Tech Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly byars View Post
I am in thanks for having it
kelly
Hey, Kelly! Can you bring that front fender piece you offered me if you still have it? Thanx in advance!
Old 04-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #22
Caymen8
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2009
Locale: Denver
Postings: 41
Caymen8 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SgtMarty tech day, April 24, 2010

OK, torsion spring it is. I'll be there!

09 KLR650
08 Harley Road Glide
Caymen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-19-2010, 10:55 PM   #23
JCRover

Super Cool Since: Sep 2009
Locale: Denver, CO
Postings: 14
JCRover is on a distinguished road

Looking like I should be able to make it.

Besides me, the bike, and the parts I'm planning on installing (doohicky, Thermobob +?). What should I bring (will have very limited room on the bike, but there will be some room in my wallet for reimbursements)

Jeff
JCRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:10 AM   #24
SgtMarty
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jul 2003
Locale: Colorado
Postings: 3,950
SgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCRover View Post
Looking like I should be able to make it.

Besides me, the bike, and the parts I'm planning on installing (doohicky, Thermobob +?). What should I bring (will have very limited room on the bike, but there will be some room in my wallet for reimbursements)

Jeff
Bring what you need if that's all you can manage. I have some things around here that can be shared. If you need anything specific, let me know and I'll try to have it on hand.

BTW for everyone-- no specific food plans being made here as yet. The only grill I have is out back on the deck (plumbed into the natural gas line, so it can't be moved). I'll have some beer and soft drinks, some snacky things.

Life is a mortal adventure. Don't avoid all the risks.
COHVCO #6391 AMA #2800236

1998 Valkyrie Tourer, 2005 KLR650
2001 DRZ400E, 2005 KTM 525EXC
SgtMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #25
Straydog
A Regular

Locale: Aurora, Colorado
Postings: 124
Straydog is on a distinguished road

"In"

See everyone on Saturday!

Straydog

aka "HardDisk", "Demarc", "LeftBoot", "Blaster" and the hits just keep on coming.
So many forums and so little time.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:33 PM   #26
Modest_Mike

Super Cool Since: Mar 2008
Locale: Aurora, CO
Postings: 742
Modest_Mike will become famous soon enough

So there are a few of us coming down from the Denver area. Smuggler and I are meeting at Daz Bog coffee Click the link silly. We (as in people riding to a tech day) have met here before for a tech day. Figure 0700-0715, kickstands up 0730 for the short ride down to Marty's.

I will be bringing a dozen bagels donated just for the event, aren't we special. No we are not I just know the GM really well. Anyway Breakfast is on me for the first 11 people.

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
That is Honor
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawioops View Post
But it is the Superior Part
Modest_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #27
kawioops
Been here a while

Talking Re: Tech Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straydog View Post
"In"

See everyone on Saturday!

Straydog

aka "HardDisk", "Demarc", "LeftBoot", "Blaster" and the hits just keep on coming.
So many forums and so little time.
Strange, none of those are what everyone else uses to refer to you!
Old 04-21-2010, 03:16 AM   #28
SgtMarty
LEVEL 3 STAFF

SgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud of

Daskek, are you riding down from Aurora with StrayDog Dave? He might need someone to help him with whatever weird food he brings.

Okay, the raw almonds (still on the branch) were cool munchies but the stinkfruit was too much.

Just kidding, Dave... no pressure. Just glad to be seeing you again. The last time I saw you was a couple years ago when you did a wheelie out of my driveway.

It might be a coolish day on Saturday, so I'll have coffee and hot chocolate on hand. If the big garage door is closed, come on in the pedestrian door next to it.

I met a couple KLR riders yesterday that weren't on any KLR650.NET forums and invited them to stop in as well. Might have a decent turnout after all.

Now I just have to clean out the garage. That'll take a day or two...

Old 04-21-2010, 05:13 AM   #29
SgtMarty
LEVEL 3 STAFF

JCRover, I haven't done a thermobob before, so maybe someone else here can help if needed. I suppose it comes with instructions.

For those who haven't been here before, here's what I have on hand:

Brake fluid, coolant concentrate (will need distilled water to mix with), gaskets for doo jobs, lots of nuts and bolts, materials for electrical upgrades or repairs.

I have lots of hand and power tools, all doo tools, two air compressors (but neither will run high-CFM tools like impact wrenches), one bike lift, one other bike stand available, a 120v wire-fed welder, drill press, bench grinder, bandsaw, disk/belt sander, small metal chop saw, power washer, lots of shop rags, rubber (nitrile, I think) gloves (large), basins and funnels for draining oil and coolant, brake bleeder kit, probably other stuff I'm forgetting.

I'm running low on motor oil and fork oil. If you would like some here, let me know before Friday and I'll have some ready.

I have two Clymer service manuals for pre-2008 models, but no manual for the newer bikes.

Also, I need to get rid of some stuff around here.

FOR SALE:

Cheng Shin rear tires, two available, new. Nice, wide, soft tire. $35 each

Happy Trails PD nerf bars, three sets. $100 for the near-new set, less for the others.

Happy Trails SU rack for hard bags, good shape. You can mount anything to these. $200

Aluminum handlebars, two sets, new. $25 for the lighter, high-rise set, $35 for the stronger, low-rise ones. (Several OEM steel handlebars on hand, too.)

Front braided stainless steel brake line, new. $45

Scott automatic chain oiler, never used. $150

Lowering links, two sets. I think these are 1 1/2" lowering links, but we can check to make sure. New, aluminum, $40 each set.

Rear cargo deck, good shape. $50

Large 230mm front brake disk kit, new. $180

Large cruiser-style gel seat pad insert. I was going to remake my KLR seat with this get insert, but it's too wide and the wrong shape. It's never been used. $50

I also have many stock parts removed from 1999, 2005, and 2007 KLRs. If you need any specific OEM parts, let me know. I've got a few boxes full of stuff.

Some prices might be negotiable, so haggle if you want to.

If anyone else wants to bring things along to sell and swap, that's okay.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

Last edited by SgtMarty; 04-21-2010 at 05:33 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:04 AM   #30
Straydog
A Regular

Locale: Aurora, Colorado
Postings: 124
Straydog is on a distinguished road

In the end Hunter S. Thompson lacked the elasticity required to heroically evolve.

Since I have been off of the KLR radar (more or less) I thought I'd comment on my dilemma of being caught between chronic and stinkfruit. As stinkfruit speaks for itself chronic has a way of creeping off of the KLR path. In my case I have doubled down on KLR chronic in that my tags read "June 09" and I have a habitual flat rear tire.

Perhaps the cure to my tearing value stem problem is to install rim locks and/or learn how to use a tire pressure gauge and pump. As to my expired tags and unlike Mr. Thompson I also need to expedite my effort in evolutionary elasticity and pass the CCNA certification exam ASAP. Opps, creeping off the path again.

I've tried mixing the lime in the coconut and my bike still sits idle. So I thank you all in advance for being the antidote to my KLR chronic problems. Between the contact high I will get from standing in the fading lime light of our own epic journeyer Sgt Marty and the general camaraderie found amongst the rest of you I will find my way off of the pavement.

This Saturday I will be driving my #1 KLR farkle (pick-up truck) from Aurora w/bike in bed or maybe just rear tire. If anyone needs shuttle bunny help just let me know.

Straydog
Old 04-21-2010, 09:38 AM   #31
kawioops
Been here a while

Talking Re: SgtMarty tech day, April 24, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straydog View Post
In the end Hunter S. Thompson lacked the elasticity required to heroically evolve.

Since I have been off of the KLR radar (more or less) I thought I'd comment on my dilemma of being caught between chronic and stinkfruit. As stinkfruit speaks for itself chronic has a way of creeping off of the KLR path. In my case I have doubled down on KLR chronic in that my tags read "June 09" and I have a habitual flat rear tire.

Perhaps the cure to my tearing value stem problem is to install rim locks and/or learn how to use a tire pressure gauge and pump. As to my expired tags and unlike Mr. Thompson I also need to expedite my effort in evolutionary elasticity and pass the CCNA certification exam ASAP. Opps, creeping off the path again.

I've tried mixing the lime in the coconut and my bike still sits idle. So I thank you all in advance for being the antidote to my KLR chronic problems. Between the contact high I will get from standing in the fading lime light of our own epic journeyer Sgt Marty and the general camaraderie found amongst the rest of you I will find my way off of the pavement.

This Saturday I will be driving my #1 KLR farkle (pick-up truck) from Aurora w/bike in bed or maybe just rear tire. If anyone needs shuttle bunny help just let me know.

Straydog
OUCH! My brain hurts after reading that!
Old 04-21-2010, 11:45 PM   #32
Modest_Mike

Hey Marty

I will take one of those Chen's off your hands. Does the 35 include mounting and balance?

So if anyone wants to ride with me to DazBog I will be picking up the bagels at 0600 at Einstein's in Stapleton. 15 minutes for the first cup and on the road by 0620.

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
That is Honor
Quote:
Old 04-22-2010, 05:16 AM   #33
SgtMarty
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Dave, you made my day. Thanks, man. When you mix the lime in the coconut, drink 'em both up.

Anyone else get that? Sheesh...

The weather isn't looking comfortable for Saturday, so for all you heroes who ride down here, you have my admiration. Coffee and hot chocolate await you.

Dash, I'll help you mount it if you want, but you're on your own for balancing. I don't usually bother balancing the rear tire anyway. (I know you were probably just kidding.)

Big_lv had to cancel since she's doing some high-tech secret agent espionage mission somewhere on Saturday. Might be an assasination or a kidnapping. Probably Madrid or Budapest, or maybe Paris or Hong Kong. She has all the fun.

Sigh.

If not many people show up, we'll park bikes in the garage if it rains.

We have to be flexible, as StrayDog pointed out. Gotta keep heroically evolving.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:07 AM   #34
SgtMarty
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Okay, for some reason I'm missing a bike stand. Did someone borrow it? One of the wooden ones. Hmmm...

So, that means I'll have only one bike lift available on Saturday. If anyone is trucking down and can bring a bike lift, please do so. Thanks in advance.

I think I'll make a pot of chili. It'll be a coolish day. I've got an old propane space heater somewhere, but I don't think it works anymore.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:17 AM   #35
kawioops
Been here a while

It's not looking good for my arrival by bike, if there's snow on the ground, I'll be jeeping down, as I really don't have anything to do on my own ride per se. If that's the case, I can bring another lift and tools.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:55 AM   #36
Smuggler
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2007
Postings: 198
Smuggler is on a distinguished road

I'm afraid I'm with Kawioops on that one. 2-4 inches of snow in the denver area tonight. And a total of 8 - 16 inches!!?? (wtf, it's almost may! ) in the larkspur area by Sat. afternoon. I didn't have much I wanted to get done, but I did want a little diagnostic assistance, she'll just have to wait i guess.
So i could still make it down, just in the cage, and bring an extra lift if anyone does make it with bikes.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:10 AM   #37
Modest_Mike

If there is no snow on the ground and its above 35 degrees at 6am I will still be there on the bike.

Edit:yeah about the above statement, actually looked at the weather for tomorrow.

That is Honor
Quote:

Last edited by Modest_Mike; 04-23-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:44 PM   #38
kawioops
Been here a while

Talking Re: SgtMarty tech day, April 24, 2010

TO ALL: I now have a trailer capable of carrying a KLR, (yes you can trailer a KLR, we won't tell!) if this is a need and your in the Denver area, post up soon, I'll keep on checking back here throughout the day and evening.
Frankly, considering Marty's location, the chances are good there will be a good amount of snow, so unlike dash, I ain't holdin' my breath! ( Ya look good in blue anyway, Mike!)
Old 04-23-2010, 12:56 PM   #39
Modest_Mike

Quote:
( Ya look good in blue anyway, Mike!)
Electric gear, ain't it great, now where did I put those studs

That is Honor
Quote:
Old 04-23-2010, 06:31 PM   #40
SgtMarty
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Okay, here's the plan.

I just finished shoveling a foot of heavy, wet snow out of my long driveway, so I'll be ready for anyone who shows up tomorrow.

OTHERWISE--I will plan on doing another tech day in two weeks.

This storm came in with evil intentions, and it really zonked us down here.

Please be extra careful if you ride down tomorrow. There will be slushy spots and sand on the roads. Also, the deer are on the roads a bit more at times like these.

If tomorrow is convenient, come on down. If not, plan on making it another time--probably in two weeks.

Hey, I got my space heater to work, so that's one nice thing. My propane bottle is almost empty, though. Anyone got a spare setting around?

Last edited by SgtMarty; 04-24-2010 at 02:28 AM.
Sponsored links

Tags
2010, date, day, sgtmarty, tech