SiteLock
Wanted Cams and rockers. - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Other Kawasaki Motorcycles > KLR250 and Super Sherpa Main Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR250 and Super Sherpa Main Discussion

Old 09-12-2017, 10:01 PM   #1
519Kawi

Super Cool Since: Aug 2017
Locale: Waterloo
Postings: 18
519Kawi is on a distinguished road
Default Wanted Cams and rockers.

Looking for bot intake and exhaust cam shafts and rocker arms in good condition.

Thanks Guys

519kawi at gmail dot com
519Kawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:16 PM   #2
Knobs-on-Asphalt

Super Cool Since: Apr 2017
Locale: NJ, USA
Postings: 15
Knobs-on-Asphalt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wanted Cams and rockers.

Webcams will refurbish your old cam shafts and rockers for around $150 USD. I got a set done from them when mine wore-out.

https://www.webcamshafts.com/

Just something to consider.
Knobs-on-Asphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-06-2017, 03:31 PM   #3
nlerias
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Oct 2017
Locale: Coronado, CA
Postings: 3
nlerias is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knobs-on-Asphalt View Post
Webcams will refurbish your old cam shafts and rockers for around $150 USD. I got a set done from them when mine wore-out.

https://www.webcamshafts.com/

Just something to consider.
I also have some camshaft damage and appreciate the suggestion to get them refurbished by webcamshafts. My question is what to do with the rocker arm once the cam is repaired. It's my understanding that when you replace the cam you need to replace the rocker arm as well. Once I get them refurbished, should I install a brand new rocker arm?
nlerias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:37 PM   #4
Knobs-on-Asphalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlerias View Post
I also have some camshaft damage and appreciate the suggestion to get them refurbished by webcamshafts. My question is what to do with the rocker arm once the cam is repaired. It's my understanding that when you replace the cam you need to replace the rocker arm as well. Once I get them refurbished, should I install a brand new rocker arm?
nlerias, welcome to the forums!

Yes that's right, they say you need to replace both cams and rockers at the same time, because that the memory left in the old pieces will accelerate wear on the new components.

Your question has forced me to do some calculating and this is what I came up with:

By the time you actually pay for everything the price is almost the same for either new OEM parts or Webcams-refurbished parts, unless you get parts from a discount site, then it will actually cost less to use OEM parts:

Final cost Webcams: $459.74.
Final cost OEM: $384.31 (source: powersportswarehouse.com

I spent $231 to have Webs redo my cams. They can also redo the rockers, but they charge $133 for each one!

However, if you plan on buying OEM rockers take note: the ones for the exhaust side pose a problem as they are matched with the cam from the factory. There is supposed to be a letter-marking ("A", "B", "C" or "D"), but I couldn't find any markings on mine, so to avoid buying the wrong type I decided to try and reuse the old rocker.

Looking back, I probably should have paid extra and had them redo the exhaust rocker instead of reusing it. Or better still, I should have just bought all-new OEM parts from powersportswarehouse, but I didn't know about that site at the time.

So looking at it realistically, I'd say you're just better off getting OEM parts, provided you get them at the discount. Otherwise, Webcams is not bad when compared to retail parts prices, plus with Webs you get an alloy fused onto the cam, making it stronger then an OEM one, so they say. Good luck with whichever you end up going with.

Incidentally, could you share with us the reason your cams wore-out?
I'm still trying to troubleshoot why my cams had worn. Any insight might be helpful. Thanks!
Old 10-06-2017, 11:45 PM   #5
nlerias
Occasional Poster

Quote:
nlerias, welcome to the forums!

Yes that's right, they say you need to replace both cams and rockers at the same time, because that the memory left in the old pieces will accelerate wear on the new components.

Your question has forced me to do some calculating and this is what I came up with:

By the time you actually pay for everything the price is almost the same for either new OEM parts or Webcams-refurbished parts, unless you get parts from a discount site, then it will actually cost less to use OEM parts:

Final cost Webcams: $459.74.
Final cost OEM: $384.31 (source: powersportswarehouse.com

I spent $231 to have Webs redo my cams. They can also redo the rockers, but they charge $133 for each one!

However, if you plan on buying OEM rockers take note: the ones for the exhaust side pose a problem as they are matched with the cam from the factory. There is supposed to be a letter-marking ("A", "B", "C" or "D"), but I couldn't find any markings on mine, so to avoid buying the wrong type I decided to try and reuse the old rocker.

Looking back, I probably should have paid extra and had them redo the exhaust rocker instead of reusing it. Or better still, I should have just bought all-new OEM parts from powersportswarehouse, but I didn't know about that site at the time.

So looking at it realistically, I'd say you're just better off getting OEM parts, provided you get them at the discount. Otherwise, Webcams is not bad when compared to retail parts prices, plus with Webs you get an alloy fused onto the cam, making it stronger then an OEM one, so they say. Good luck with whichever you end up going with.

Incidentally, could you share with us the reason your cams wore-out?
I'm still trying to troubleshoot why my cams had worn. Any insight might be helpful. Thanks!
Thanks a lot for your help! I was actually comparing the cost today as well, with webcams repair vs buying new OEM and I agree, it seems like I should just get new parts. Here are some pics of my cams, it seems the intake cam is much worse than the exhaust. I'll probably just do the intake cam first and see if it fixes the clacking noise. These parts are going to cost well above what I paid for for the bike, lol.

As for the cause, I have no idea. I just recently bought this used so I have no clue if the PO maintained the bike well or not (I'm guessing not).

Were you having a loud top end click that clued you into worn cams? After you had yours repaired, did it fix any issues?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1833.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	65222  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1831.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	65223  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1835.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	65224  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1834.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	65225  
Old 10-07-2017, 07:25 PM   #6
Knobs-on-Asphalt

Sounds like you still got a good deal for your KLR! What year is your model?

What clued me was that the engine was "feeling" funny for a while, and it eventually lead to a *pucka-pucka-pucka* sound, which was the wearing cams. Ticking sounds are usually cam chain or valve-related. Have you checked/adjust your valve clearances? It's very important to do, especially on these bikes. You could look up a few videos if you are unsure if your noise is from cams or valves.

The main cause for cam wear is usually oil-related. Also, the KLR 250 is known to wear out the intake cam just by the way the engine's designed. I've heard the fix to this is to run Rotella T motor oil, or other good synthetic oil with a high zinc-content. Zinc helps the cams slide nice and easy over the rockers, and synthetic oil tends to "stick" to engine parts better then regular oil, to my understanding.

You will see a "tiny" bit of wear on cams, that's how they break-in. Perhaps your ex. cam is good. Hard to tell from the pictures, but yeah, you could always replace the other one later so doesn't hurt to try one first and save some money. You'll need some Kawasaki service manuals, a 3/8"-drive torque-wrench and Permatex thread-locker designed for camshafts. If you don't have the service manuals, I can help guide you through the process.

Unfortunately for me, the new cams did not seem to solve my specific problem. When I first installed the new cams, the engine sounded beautiful, like it was new! But almost instantly after, I could hear the same sound coming back, and noticed some wear, so there must be some deeper problem, at least for me.

How easy is it to turn-over your engine?
I remember distinctly being able to turn my engine over by hand with a ratchet, and I could spin it so fast to put momentum on it and watch the cams cycle a couple times (just for fun). Now, it takes me 10 ft. lbs. to turn-over each cam, and it feels like I'm going to break something!

How easy does yours turn-over?

Thanks again, your feedback is really helpful to me.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:10 AM   #7
laylow
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2013
Locale: maryland
Postings: 40
laylow is on a distinguished road

I have a set of cams and rockers arms for sale.. 260 shipped to your door
laylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:04 PM   #8
nlerias
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Sounds like you still got a good deal for your KLR! What year is your model?

What clued me was that the engine was "feeling" funny for a while, and it eventually lead to a *pucka-pucka-pucka* sound, which was the wearing cams. Ticking sounds are usually cam chain or valve-related. Have you checked/adjust your valve clearances? It's very important to do, especially on these bikes. You could look up a few videos if you are unsure if your noise is from cams or valves.

The main cause for cam wear is usually oil-related. Also, the KLR 250 is known to wear out the intake cam just by the way the engine's designed. I've heard the fix to this is to run Rotella T motor oil, or other good synthetic oil with a high zinc-content. Zinc helps the cams slide nice and easy over the rockers, and synthetic oil tends to "stick" to engine parts better then regular oil, to my understanding.

You will see a "tiny" bit of wear on cams, that's how they break-in. Perhaps your ex. cam is good. Hard to tell from the pictures, but yeah, you could always replace the other one later so doesn't hurt to try one first and save some money. You'll need some Kawasaki service manuals, a 3/8"-drive torque-wrench and Permatex thread-locker designed for camshafts. If you don't have the service manuals, I can help guide you through the process.

Unfortunately for me, the new cams did not seem to solve my specific problem. When I first installed the new cams, the engine sounded beautiful, like it was new! But almost instantly after, I could hear the same sound coming back, and noticed some wear, so there must be some deeper problem, at least for me.

How easy is it to turn-over your engine?
I remember distinctly being able to turn my engine over by hand with a ratchet, and I could spin it so fast to put momentum on it and watch the cams cycle a couple times (just for fun). Now, it takes me 10 ft. lbs. to turn-over each cam, and it feels like I'm going to break something!

How easy does yours turn-over?

Thanks again, your feedback is really helpful to me.

I picked up an '89 for $400. Pretty rough shape but ran. I've already put in about $1000 on an IMS gas tank, tires, new carb, and other misc stuff. It's almost where I want it to be so I'll make a post in a week or two with before and after pics.

I adjusted the valves after I picked up the bike and rechecked it the other day when I inspected the cams and they were in spec.

Thanks for the tip on the oil, I'll be sure to switch to a synth on the next change and hopefully I'll save my new cams from premature wear. I do have a service manual so I'll attempt the cam change and we'll see how it goes. I'm completely new to wrenching (trying to learn which was one of the reasons I picked up this bike in the first place) and actually pretty new to moto'ing all together.

As for turning over the engine, I definitely wouldn't say it's difficult nor is it as easy as you describe it could be; but again, I'm new to this so not really sure what normal is.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:06 PM   #9
Knobs-on-Asphalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlerias View Post
I picked up an '89 for $400. Pretty rough shape but ran. I've already put in about $1000 on an IMS gas tank, tires, new carb, and other misc stuff. It's almost where I want it to be so I'll make a post in a week or two with before and after pics.

I adjusted the valves after I picked up the bike and rechecked it the other day when I inspected the cams and they were in spec.

Thanks for the tip on the oil, I'll be sure to switch to a synth on the next change and hopefully I'll save my new cams from premature wear. I do have a service manual so I'll attempt the cam change and we'll see how it goes. I'm completely new to wrenching (trying to learn which was one of the reasons I picked up this bike in the first place) and actually pretty new to moto'ing all together.

As for turning over the engine, I definitely wouldn't say it's difficult nor is it as easy as you describe it could be; but again, I'm new to this so not really sure what normal is.

Can't wait to see those before and after pics.!

Yup, it's a really great way to learn about engines and mechanics. I too was pretty inexperienced when I started, but when you're all finished you'll end up learning a lot of useful info for the future.

Ahh, I left out a small detail. When I rotated my engine the spark plug was out, that way it spins really easy, since there's no pressure building in the cylinder. You'll see what I mean if you get to try it.
Sponsored links

Tags
cams, rockers, wanted