SiteLock
break in - Page 2 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Other Kawasaki Motorcycles > Versys Discussion Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Versys Discussion Forum

Old 11-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #21
Glenn
Site Administrator
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Jun 2003
Locale: USA
Postings: 18,660
Glenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud of
Default Re: break in

You must have the new V8 model.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:09 PM   #22
moto_roller

Super Cool Since: Jun 2008
Locale: Far NE of Spoonbooty
Postings: 578
moto_roller is on a distinguished road

Well, those with experience know better, but I was concerned that somebody new to the sport might take the full-throttle experience too far, especially in the lower transmission gears, and then suddenly find themselves flipped right over backwards, a hurtin' unit.

The 650 Versys simply must be taken seriously, having real horsepower and potential. The full-throttle break-in works well, very well within the "official" RPM limits, but the horsepower generated must be taken into full consideration. This bike is not a toy.

However, my having had a motorcycle license for 40+ years and having gone through more bikes than any of us has fingers and toes, I can confidently say that Kawasaki offers one great bargain in the 650 Versys. This really is a high quality motorcycle, at a price which nobody could argue with.

GREEN '08 KLR (traded in)

GREEN '09 Versys
moto_roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:39 PM   #23
Aship
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Dec 2017
Locale: Templeton, CA
Postings: 5
Aship is on a distinguished road

I am going to buy a 2017 KRL from a dealer that is about 650 miles from my home. I am going to have to ride it home. What would be the best way to ride it since I am not going to be able to do a more gradual break-in. Any suggestions???
Aship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:08 PM   #24
waterlooklr
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jul 2004
Locale: Waterloo, Il
Postings: 929
waterlooklr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aship View Post
I am going to buy a 2017 KRL from a dealer that is about 650 miles from my home. I am going to have to ride it home. What would be the best way to ride it since I am not going to be able to do a more gradual break-in. Any suggestions???
If it was my bike...........I would ride it at moderate rpm (3000-5000 rpm) not on a major highway off a high speed interstate/controlled access road and vary the speed for the first 100 miles. Accelerate briskly (not full throttle) and back off the throttle totally letting the engine brake the bike as you decelerate. Up and down within reason and do not run one constant for a long distance.

STOP at 100 miles and check the oil level.........oil level when the bike is vertical should be at the top of the oil window.
Do not run the bike low on oil. STOP and check the oil level every 100 miles until you change it.

Your new KLR with stock gearing will run about 60 mph at 4500 rpm........I would ride it between 4000-4500 and vary the rpm as much as possible as you ride home. I don't know if you plan on riding 650 miles in one day as that is quite the distance. The oil and filter should be changed as soon as you get home + check over everything else on the bike. This site has all the info needed.

Other opinions on your first 650 mile ride will vary.

Read this https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36442 Break In

and this... https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80065 Check your oil

Last edited by waterlooklr; 01-02-2018 at 10:12 PM.
waterlooklr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
break