SiteLock
What gps for klr - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum! > Off The Beaten Path > Gear Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Hello, welcome back.
Gear Discussion Gear for you and your ride

Old 03-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
johnnybravo
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Aug 2011
Locale: usa
Postings: 85
johnnybravo is on a distinguished road
Default What gps for klr

What gps do you guys have on your klr using the ram mounts? I just installed my tom tom 730 on a ram mount and it won't work! With it being a touch screen and the way the ram mount holds the gps it is putting pressure on the front of the screen and it thinks it is being touched! and it makes it change screens. Useless! I don't want a high dollar zumo. Thanks
johnnybravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
Thaylin
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2011
Locale: not here
Postings: 197
Thaylin is on a distinguished road

I use a Garmin ETex Adventure (Old Green cased grey scale) I have it mounted with the bicycle mount, works great, can load maps and run off internal or external power. Small perfect, and green.
Thaylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
Ocram08
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2008
Locale: ☺☺KINGSTON ONTARIO
Postings: 79
Ocram08 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What gps for klr

I run with the Garmin 550 it's good fast and afordable and yes waterproof also. https://www.gpscity.ca/garmin-nuvi-550.html
Old 03-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
HBL
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Feb 2012
Locale: Minnesota
Postings: 63
HBL is on a distinguished road

Montana. Fast, rugged, multi-purpose, water proof. Love it. Affordable....?
HBL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:59 PM   #5
Bill Heath
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Dec 2008
Locale: San Dimas, California
Postings: 104
Bill Heath is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBL View Post
Montana. Fast, rugged, multi-purpose, water proof. Love it. Affordable....?
Can you give us some more info?
Bill Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
thevanrat
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: May 2010
Locale: 10,000 Lakes
Postings: 1,587
thevanrat is on a distinguished road

I buy the cheap Garmin Nuvi, and appropriate RAM cradle for my SUV and KLR. I rubber band a baggie over it if I get caught in rain. Or, just take off and slide into window on tank bag. Never had an issue that the cheapo Nuvi could not handle, typically a cheap date (read, affordable).

I did wreck one and it died... but I was using it on the snowmobile too, I think that one got wet, cold and bumped around a bit, but I found refurb models on Amazon for like 89 bucks. They come just like new.

Last edited by thevanrat; 03-07-2012 at 11:21 PM.
thevanrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
willys
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Jan 2006
Locale: padded room
Postings: 12,158
willys is on a distinguished road

I used to use automotive ones such as the 1490 and loved it! Large screen and di almost everything and under $200! Then the rear plug got damaged from all the vibrations....being an idiot I tried to fix it....ruined it and now have a Nuvi 550....motorcycle friendly, waterproof and is supposed to be vibration resistant. I paid $250ish for it at Christmas time.....and can't wait to see what it can do on the bike.

I wouldn't have changed from the 1490 if I could be sure the rear plugs would last, but after talking to the techs at Garmin, he said the Nuvi 550 has stronger soldering connection s and better attachments where the plug attaches to the curcuit board.....so that sealed it for me. The 1490 lasted a 10 months and took me across the country and up to the arctic......so it served me well.
willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
astrolump
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jun 2011
Locale: florida
Postings: 781
astrolump is on a distinguished road

Garmin 500 it is pretty good and very robust. waterproof for sure.
it is a bit of a pain to put gpx files on..it can only handle 200 waypoints or some such so you have to split up long tracks....

HEY! Did you see something fall off my bike?...I mean other than me.

the crust of klr was broken....kuyaki

astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #9
FortyNiner
A Regular

Locale: Spicewood
Postings: 92
FortyNiner is on a distinguished road

I have a Garmin 1450 automotive type GPS mounted on a RAM mount on my KLR. I bought it from Walmart, mail order. It was on sale and may still be. It has a large (5") screen and you can download (.gpx) routes to it from your computer. It has lifetime map updates included.

It is great for street riding, and the standard maps include most county roads.

However, on my long off road rides at Big Bend last week, I made some observations:

When in a park the background goes GREEN instead of white. That reduces the contrast and makes it harder to see. Then it got covered with dust, making it even harder to see. I covered it with a baggie to protect it, but the baggie became covered with dust.

For the money, I'm satisfied with the unit. You can even find them on Craigslist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybravo View Post
What gps do you guys have on your klr using the ram mounts? I just installed my tom tom 730 on a ram mount and it won't work! With it being a touch screen and the way the ram mount holds the gps it is putting pressure on the front of the screen and it thinks it is being touched! and it makes it change screens. Useless! I don't want a high dollar zumo. Thanks
FortyNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
HBL
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Feb 2012
Locale: Minnesota
Postings: 63
HBL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Heath View Post
Can you give us some more info?
Hopefully this works...and is helpful...

https://sites.garmin.com/montana/

https://*****************************...********688775

HBL is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
johnnybravo
A Regular

Locale: usa
Postings: 85
johnnybravo is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, I'm liking the nuvi 550 but I read somewhere that it does not have campgrounds in its memory but does have churches??????????????? No offense to anyone but the trip I'm trying to get ready for this spring I plan on camping out and not going to any churches.
johnnybravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #12
Dave Stranks

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Surrey Canada
Postings: 683
Dave Stranks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybravo View Post
like you i'm use to the tom tom in my car so i went for the tom tom rider for the bike and added the scala rider for voice instruction phone and music
the rider has a smaller screen the voice directions are great you can preplan your route and follow the bitch telling you where to go and never take your eyes off the road Alot of other nice features also
Dave Stranks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #13
stevie t
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Sep 2009
Locale: Ontanamo
Postings: 34
stevie t is on a distinguished road

I use one of these with Topo Canada v4

Mounts up in the car as well....

Takes basic AA's or DC power, runs approx 24 hours on the batteries...
Old 07-13-2012, 08:47 PM   #14
Mahk
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2010
Locale: Lubbock, TX
Postings: 38
Mahk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie t View Post
I use one of these with Topo Canada v4

Mounts up in the car as well....

Takes basic AA's or DC power, runs approx 24 hours on the batteries...
+1. Garmin GPSMap 60CSX on a RAM mount. I've ridden 15000 miles with mine through dust storms, rain, wind, and sun and it's never missed a beat. Tons of features and very rugged and accurate.
Mahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:46 AM   #15
arkansas

Super Cool Since: Jul 2010
Locale: arkansas
Postings: 276
arkansas is on a distinguished road

I have the Garmin 60csx and I am happy with it. I do eventually want to upgrade to the waterproof touchscreen Garmin tho...
arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:22 PM   #16
abswa
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2010
Locale: Issaquah, WA
Postings: 66
abswa is on a distinguished road

i use a Garmin nuvi760 mounted on a KLR dash next to a Garmin Oregon 400t for the trails. Love the setup, works perfect for the road and the trail. And if rain hits I have the nuvi wrapped in ceran wrap. And the nuvi with a 2GB SD card in it doubles as my MP3 player.
09 blue KLR club #187, 688 kit, the doo done, thermobob, KLX needle kit with 142 main, Leo Vince X3, uni, KLR-dash and risers, AIS off, low buck exhaust mod, Moose Racing 1/2" offset pegs and 1" extended shifter, top gun 8kg rear spring, progressive front springs, swmotech crashbars, Touratech rack with Pelican 1550's, Touratech hand guards and skid plate...
abswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #17
Norcal camper
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Nov 2008
Locale: Fremont, Ca
Postings: 1,046
Norcal camper is on a distinguished road

I use a Garmin Nuvi 500. Its the same as the 550 but has topographical. Its small which makes it good to throw in your pocket for off bike geocaches. It's the cheapest waterproof model you'll find. I have had some problems with the connector/cord connection though. The connector is pretty fragile for the environment I use it in. Don't think that you'll save money by mounting a non-waterproof model then putting in a zip lock bag when it rains. I tried that and burnt mine up while driving in the fog. It may not be raining, but there still may be enough moisture in the air to get inside and cause damage unless its sealed.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #18
klr650stu
On Vacation! :)
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Port Elgin, Ontario, CANADA
Postings: 177
klr650stu is on a distinguished road

MapArt road atlas. Know where are and where you're going to end up.
Less than $40 works always. Never breaks. Flashlight may be required at night. I use the head light.

Use the sun in the day. West and North usually gets me back home.

klr650stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #19
steelruger22
A Regular

Locale: Ft. Carson/Colorado Springs, CO
Postings: 31
steelruger22 is on a distinguished road

I am running an Garmin Etrex Legend HCX on a ram mount. No problems whatsoever. I wanted a GPSMAP 60CSX but couldn't afford one. The Legend HCX does almost everything the 60CSX does for about half the price. To include the colorscreen, expandable memory, and turn by turn onroad software. I have topo maps uploaded to mine and just love it for both rideing and hunting. Good all around gps that can be had for cheap.
steelruger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #20
astrolump
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jun 2011
Locale: florida
Postings: 781
astrolump is on a distinguished road

so.....i just rode 4400 miles....3+k of it on the TET and TET-S using crafty coders dualsportmaps.com great android app on my phone.

I was following gps tracks I downloaded from ADV...

i was going to buy a Garmin Montana for this summers riding ($600+)...but i decided to try this $20 android app first....It turned out to be the best gps ive ever used. it made following the 20+ thousand point gps tracks super easy. i had very few issues with it...it would reset to the home screen once in a while but one tap got me back to navigation. it works great even when there is no cell service.

last year i used the Garmin 500 i mentioned earlier to ride the same trail....there is no comparison..dualsportmaps is 10,000 times better

also it has a great online component so you can find other trails in the area or easily make new tracks while on the road and download then with your phone...no laptop required. as long as you have data signal.

there is a bit of a learning curve but the developer responds to questions directly and promptly.

if you are looking for a gps for the bike check it out.
you will need to figure out a way to mount and waterproof your phone....lots of options....

and it is android only....sorry i phone zombies. you can buy a droid tablet tho....

HEY! Did you see something fall off my bike?...I mean other than me.

the crust of klr was broken....kuyaki

astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
gps, klr