SiteLock
Newfoundland/Nova Scotia - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > Canada
> Nova Scotia
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Hello, welcome back.

Old 07-06-2005, 01:46 PM   #1
tbrooks
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Dec 2004
Postings: 6
tbrooks is on a distinguished road
Default Newfoundland/Nova Scotia

I'm looking at doing a Newfoundland/Nova Scotia trip. Any advice especially on the ferry system? Has anyone experienced difficulties getting on a ferry when they wanted to? Are reservations needed? Any recommended campgrounds?
tbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 02:25 PM   #2
DaveC

Super Cool Since: Jul 2004
Locale: Ottawa, ON Canada
Postings: 516
DaveC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newfoundland/Nova Scotia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody'sMonkey
I'm looking at doing a Newfoundland/Nova Scotia trip. Any advice especially on the ferry system? Has anyone experienced difficulties getting on a ferry when they wanted to? Are reservations needed? Any recommended campgrounds?
Being a Newfoundlander, you'd think I'd know this...but it's been awhile since I've driven home ('93 was the last road trip...it's a 3-day drive to St. John's from Ottawa, vs. a 4-hour plane flight).

That said, here's what I would suggest for the Nfld portion of the trip:
a. For the ferry:

Go to https://www.marineatlantic.ca and check out the fares/reservation requirements/etc. There are two ferries - one to Port aux Basques (West coast - overnight ferry crossing), and one to Argentia (East coast...18hr on the ferry). If you are planning to go to St. John's, it's about 10hr by the Trans Canada Highway (TCH) from Port aux Basques, and ~ 2hr from Argentia.

For reservations, there are options regarding berths (cabins)...you don't have to have one. If you choose not to, you find a chair in the lounge and spend it there. I've done that, and it's not too bad. If you tend to get seasick at all, take Gravol before you leave shore.

If it were me, I would make reservations. Nothing against North Sydney, but I'd rather not be stuck there hoping to get a spot on the ferry as a walk-on.

b. For camping accomodations:
- No matter which way you go, check out Gros Morne National Park on the West Coast. The scenery is quite nice. Terra Nova National Park is on the East Coast, and is also pretty nice.
- there are a number of provincial parks along the way, many on or close to the TCH. You can find out more about them at https://www.env.gov.nl.ca/parks/.

c. If you visit St. John's, definitely check out George Street (the local bar strip), and the usual tourist areas, such as Signal Hill and Cape Spear.

Oh yeah, beware the "Screech-In"...it's a tradition sprung on most CFA's to annoint them "honorary Newfoundlanders". Usually involves kissing a cod/stuffed puffin and taking a shot of Screech (Jamaican Rum). You've been warned...

And if you do get screeched in, post the pics

Dave C
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-06-2005, 04:23 PM   #3
Driller

Super Cool Since: May 2004
Locale: Tryon, NC
Postings: 461
Driller is on a distinguished road
Default Going too!

I have the last week of August planned for a trip out to "The Rock" with a rider from Savannah.
When will you be going? I have a ferry schedule and some reccomendations for places to stay if you need them. Dave C gave a pretty good summary.
Of course one must plan on getting "Screeched In"
If you ride all the way out there you have earned it!
Let us know how your plans unfold.
Driller
Now a heretic...riding a Zook.
Driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 04:47 PM   #4
tbrooks
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Dec 2004
Postings: 6
tbrooks is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info DaveC. Forgive my ignorance, but what is a CFA? Oh, what kind of temperatures should I expect? I plan to do most if not all of my riding during the day.

Driller: I am leaving around 7/13 or 14. I have seen a ferry schedule, but I would gladly accept any info you have on cool places to camp.
tbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 06:42 PM   #5
DaveC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody'sMonkey
Thanks for the info DaveC. Forgive my ignorance, but what is a CFA? Oh, what kind of temperatures should I expect? I plan to do most if not all of my riding during the day.

Driller: I am leaving around 7/13 or 14. I have seen a ferry schedule, but I would gladly accept any info you have on cool places to camp.
No apology necessary...I thought you might ask.

CFA == Come From Away

You may also hear references to "Mainlanders" == people not from the island, same as CFA

As far as temperatures go, it can vary a lot, depending on if the wind is blowing onshore or not, and if there is still ice close to shore (Labrador current pulls ice and icebergs down along the Northern shore...when it meets the Gulf stream outside of St. John's harbour, you get pea-soup fog). I would say a nighttime low of 5-10 deg C and a daytime high of 20-23 deg C (or somewhere in that range) would be about right.

And if anyone offers you Jiggs Dinner or Fish n' Brewis, accept it. Those are local delicacies.

Dave C
Old 07-06-2005, 06:56 PM   #6
dkblue99
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2005
Locale: Boston MA
Postings: 21
dkblue99 is on a distinguished road

Did 14 days to and from Nova Scottia from Boston. I made no plans. The campsites were all imaculate and cheap and never a problem getting on a ferry or in a campsite.
Great friendly people, if it not for the winters I'd have stayed.
Don't miss Cape Bretton in Nova Scottia the Cabot Trail is indescribable.
p.s. I went the first week in Aug. the weather was fine for camping.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:55 PM   #7
Driller

Default Night beasties....

Do ALL your riding during the day.
The island is overpopulated with MOOSE
I hit one with my Jeep.....came out of it OK. On a bike, even the mighty KLR, you are food for the crows the next day.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:57 PM   #8
DaveC

Default Re: Night beasties....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller
Do ALL your riding during the day.
The island is overpopulated with MOOSE
I hit one with my Jeep.....came out of it OK. On a bike, even the mighty KLR, you are food for the crows the next day.
I'll second this. Moose are also known as Newfie Speedbumps, and there are quite a few cars that lose in a collision with 'em. Especially around the Bonavista Peninsula ('round Terra Nova).

Driller: Glad to hear you didn't get hurt.

Dave
Old 07-06-2005, 11:36 PM   #9
jetdoctor
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2005
Locale: West OTP Atlanta, GA
Postings: 188
jetdoctor is on a distinguished road

Having been to Newfoundland three times on motorcycles I would second some of the recomendations. You can take a ferry from Maine, overnight on the ferry and arrive the next morning. You can then ride to Halifax/Peggys cove etc and on to Cape Breton Island the next day. There are some nice campgrounds out at the end of Cape Breton so you could spend the next day on the Cabot trail and ride into N Sydney the following day to Catch a ferry to NF. I usually call ahead on the day I plan to go. Avoid the Leif Ericson if you can and take the Smallwood or the Caribou. You have been warned. The Lobster is the best on Cape Breton as are the Aspy Bay oysters. Scallops are great in New Brunswick and Clams in PEI. You will usually find the lobster steamed and cold, sold in stands on the side of the road. It is a kind of traditional M/C Tourers dinner while you are there. Buy some sides at the grocery and dig in.
I have ridden all around NF and found much of it kind of boring. The east coast can also have a lot of fog and rain/high winds because of where it sticks out into the ocean. That said I spent a wonderful day out @ St. Mary's wildlife preserve, but you only have a 10% chance of doing that.
The west coast is the best for me and why I have gone back. Gros Morne is beautiful, do not miss the drive out to table mountain. L'anse au Meadows is not to be missed especially if you take a whale tour. The pond tours are awesome too. Rocky harbor is kind of the Center of things. Stephenville, or Deer Lake will have most anything you need.
The east coast of Labrador is also a quick ferry ride away and has a lot of good riding including a lot of gravel. You can go all the way to Cartwright, along with some side trips.
I love it up there. The scenery is great and the people are warm and friendly. The ferries can be a bit of a hassle, but you can always get a shower or some food while you are waiting in the terminal--they cater to truck drivers that supply the island.
Have a safe trip,
Doug Walker
jetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 04:15 AM   #10
dkblue99
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2005
Locale: Boston MA
Postings: 21
dkblue99 is on a distinguished road

DO NOT miss Meat Cove Cape Bretton N.S.
You will tell everybody for years to come.
Sponsored links
Old 07-08-2005, 04:24 AM   #11
Glenn
Site Administrator
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Jun 2003
Locale: USA
Postings: 18,499
Glenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud of

Check out the new Canadian forums.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 06:21 AM   #12
Driller

Default My Inspiration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkblue99
DO NOT miss Meat Cove Cape Bretton N.S.
You will tell everybody for years to come.
There is a campground out there with a dramatic setting overlooking the ocean. Just be sure not to be right out on the point-your tent could blow away!
My moment of inspiration and decision that a KLR would be a neat bike to have occured out at Meat Cove while on a trip to NS a couple of years ago. On streetbikes, we stopped at a visitors center for directions and there sat two KLR's from VIRGINIA ,nicely coated with dirt, loaded with their gear, showing they had come a long way. That is when the seed was planted....and the rest is history.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:46 AM   #13
sillymike
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2005
Locale: Montreal, North of the Border!
Postings: 217
sillymike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin
Canadian forum did I miss something?
I know of a "french-Canadian" forum... https://groups.msn.com/2bs9873d3ubagg...sageboard.msnw

Michel.
sillymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 09:09 PM   #14
SteveS
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jul 2005
Locale: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Postings: 53
SteveS is on a distinguished road

Hey, my 1st post.

You may want to check out the Nova Scotia Dual Sport Club site

www.dualsport.ca

A group of us are thinking about heading from Halifax to Cape Breton sometime over the next few weeks. The more the merrier.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:06 AM   #15
Driller

Default Pot 'o Gold...

This link will provide a lot of good info for your trip!
https:///forums/showthread.php?t=83648&page=1&pp=15

I have been mining it for details to get ready for my trip out there in August.
Good luck!
Driller
Old 07-10-2005, 08:16 PM   #16
Johnny Rebel
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2005
Locale: Miramichi, New Brunswick; Canada
Postings: 144
Johnny Rebel is on a distinguished road

Is there a Canadian Forum for real??? If so, Please drop the link so I can check it out. Thanxs!
Of Course, If that was just a joke...then I've been had! LoL
Canada

"The North American United Federation"
Johnny Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:29 AM   #17
tmills
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2011
Locale: Truro, NS
Postings: 109
tmills is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
New Canadian Forums where?
tmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #18
SteelB12

Super Cool Since: Sep 2010
Locale: Prince William Co, VA
Postings: 690
SteelB12 is on a distinguished road

Since this is an old post, any updates to the suggestions??? I have 12 days off last two weeks of September and was thinking of riding up to St Johns for a couple of beers.

2009 KLR
2003 Bandit 1200
74 CB360
Nursemaid to a Super Sherpa
SteelB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:49 PM   #19
NSrider

Super Cool Since: Sep 2010
Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada
Postings: 252
NSrider is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelB12 View Post
Since this is an old post, any updates to the suggestions??? I have 12 days off last two weeks of September and was thinking of riding up to St Johns for a couple of beers.
The weather should be the perfect riding temp at that time of the year. If you do get up this way look me up, I'm always up for a jaunt around the Cabot Trail. I may even be able to free up some time and join you for a beer in St Johns.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #20
tmills
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2011
Locale: Truro, NS
Postings: 109
tmills is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSrider View Post
The weather should be the perfect riding temp at that time of the year. If you do get up this way look me up, I'm always up for a jaunt around the Cabot Trail. I may even be able to free up some time and join you for a beer in St Johns.
If I'm off I'll tag along over the Cabot Trail but I can't do St Johns
tmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
newfoundland or nova, scotia