SiteLock
Evart, MI. Anyone around ? - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > United States
> Great Lakes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2015, 11:04 PM   #1
MattMc
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2015
Locale: Hamburg, Pa
Postings: 138
MattMc is on a distinguished road
Default Evart, MI. Anyone around ?

I'm headed to Evart for work and will be there at least a week if not 2. I'm dragging the KLR along to do some venturing out. Anyone in the area want to tool around some evening(s) and show me around. Thinking about hitting Cadillac forest at some point and if I have time hitting up Manistee.

I'm looking for dirt/fire roads/2 tracks but nothing to far off the beaten path or to rough. I'm still learning the bike itself and don't have crash bars on so I'd prefer not to take the chance on dumping it just yet.
MattMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:09 PM   #2
sngltrk

Super Cool Since: Dec 2007
Locale: N.E. of Hell Mi, USA
Postings: 128
sngltrk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Evart, MI. Anyone around ?

MattMc,

The back roads in the immediate Evart area are nice.
Lots of good riding in that area. I really like the roads and snowmobile trails northwest of Baldwin. I think the ATV route at the Tin cup trail is alot of fun (if you like sand).

I'm sure someone more local will chime in with more advice. have fun!
sngltrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-24-2015, 10:45 PM   #3
MattMc
A Regular

Well I put 50 miles on this afternoon just tooling around the area. Let me just say I have come to dislike sand, a lot. Most of the roads are hard pack but there are a lot of little washes in them that have some really fine fluffy sand that tries to dump me every chance it can.

The further I got on some of the back roads in the middle of nowhere the worse it got so I turned around. It doesn't help I just bought new Shinko 705's the other day and swapped out my knobbies. Maybe some time the next week or so I'll grow a set and just ride it all.

I also evidently forgot how to unload a bike from the trailer as it decided to take a nap as soon as I popped one of the straps off. Nobody saw it so it didn't happen...
Old 06-25-2015, 05:38 AM   #4
sngltrk

Super Cool Since: Dec 2007
Locale: N.E. of Hell Mi, USA
Postings: 128
sngltrk is on a distinguished road

yeah, the 705's are probably not the best for sand,at least on the front.

try airing them down a little, it might help. just don't forget to air back up!

Sand is a love it or hate it thing

it's a beautiful area though isn't it?
sngltrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:29 PM   #5
MattMc
A Regular

It is a pretty decent area to go to if you want to get away from everything and enjoy some scenery. A short drive and you could be in a bigger city in no time if you wanted to. I'm limited to riding till after 4 with work so I don't have all day to explore. Today the clouds moved in and I allllmost took the bike out for dinner. Good thing I didn't cause it's pouring cats and dogs right now and I already got my weekly shower.

Last edited by MattMc; 06-25-2015 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:31 PM   #6
MattMc
A Regular

Today ended up being my last day here. I'll be heading back east in the morning. Got the whole day off so I made the most of it after sleeping in for once.

Made my way over to lake Michigan near Ludington as well as part of the Manistee Forest. Right around 180 miles total in 6 hours with some walking around and lunch included. Now time to go out and pack up the bike for the trip home. I'd love to stay another week and explore the area a lot more.

Ludington lighthouse way off in the distance.

Short cut through Manistee Forest.

Sponsored links

Tags
evart