SiteLock
in the klr zone - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum! > Ride Reports, Photo & Video > Ride Reports & Trip Planning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Hello, welcome back.
Ride Reports & Trip Planning Are you ready for some great riding and adventure stories!?

Old 06-02-2007, 12:55 PM   #1
johnwesley
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Nov 2006
Locale: Mena, Ar
Postings: 1,192
johnwesley is on a distinguished road
Default in the klr zone

I took a little weekend ride through some of the best roads and trails in Ar. It was a blast. I grab a motel at gassville, Ar where I met up with some guys from Tulsa, Ok. They were riding KTM adv bikes and had been runing dirt and gravel for a few days already. We left the Brass Door at 10:00 which is a little late for my taste. This would be my first ride with the Ok boys and I wasn't sure what I was in for, after all I am just on a little old klr.

The trip with them ended up being a gravel road tour so I had no problems keeping up. We did see a few interesting places, and I got a few pics taken of me. that is a rare occasion.

I even got to help one of the ktms find the road again, those things are not easy to pic up. They may be close to the klr's weight but they sure are harder to pic up.

After expending all of that engery it was time to find some food. Being a klr rider I enjoyed the cheap burgers being served here.

They were two for a dollar. My kind of meal, of course the KTM riders went for the $10 ribs.

At the end of my excursion with them I decided to head south towards Cass, Ar. It was a awesome ride down HWY 123 one of the tightest roads you will find in Arkansas. I decided to ride back with my friend Tim , on the norton, and another fellow we met at the ralley.

This is about half way down 123. The little store is only open on sunday and you can pic up a drink and a snack if you feel the need. It is mostly filled with old trinkets and things you might find at a flea market. We sat in the shade and visited with the other bikers that stoped in.

Shortly after this stop I would work over to Cass and set up camp at a $3 state camp ground. This is where the off-road fun would begin.

It is here that I am in search for a 60' water fall that is hiding out in the Ozark moutains. I would follow som four wheeler trails through the woods with no map. It is an adventure for the treasure the lost water fall, one that would test my limits as a rider and allow me to explore the limit of the under dog klr.

my blog
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:56 PM   #2
johnwesley
KLR Enthusiast

On my first day out I found myself on a dried creekbed just to see where I would end up.

Well as we all know most creeks end at a river and this was no exception

I traveled though the area but didn't take as many pics as I should have. I did dine very well for supper though.

then I got some reading in befor heading to bed.

I woke up to a beatifull site out side my camp. I love dual sporting

I decided to head down to the local general store for a big breakfeast to give me the energy for day of off-roading.

the choices were easy

my blog
Sponsored links
Old 06-02-2007, 12:58 PM   #3
johnwesley
KLR Enthusiast

I found a neat little peak on top of a moutain

the view was awesome pics just don't do justice

but the ride up was interesting. I had to go striaght up a rock face

After that is was time for more trail riding which led to more pics and creek crossings

Some places are just not meant for a boxer motor design, but the klr had no problems even though it was wearing gripsters.

Some of the creeks were pretty deep for this novice like about 3'

while others were quit shallow

my blog

Last edited by johnwesley; 06-02-2007 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:00 PM   #4
johnwesley
KLR Enthusiast

I ended up geting lost. I had no idea where i was out in the woods. I came across some blue ribbions and decided to follow them, thinking that they would guide me to a road or some point of reference. I followed the trail for miles and it kept getting worse. I was dodging boulders that we 3' and snaking though off camber sections. I think this must have been some woods competion corase. I was wishing for a lower gear during all of this. I droped the bike once and was getting flustered. When the trail started getting better. Then right in front of me was a posted sign. I drove through it and parked the bike. I was lost and would normally just turn around and try to find another way out. So I decided to try this so I went forward to find a turn around spot, as I crested a hill I saw a house and though I bet he could tell me how to get out. There must be a road close by. I drove up to the house and saw a old man in overalls getting on his lawn mower. I could tell by the way he looked at me that this was not going to be easy to explain. He was one upset man and did not want to help me at all. After I got through explaining my desperation he let me through with a strong warning. I smiled and said yes sir.

I was very low on fuel and went to the gas station to top her up and try to find this water fall again. I was told to go up the Pig Trail and then turn right ar the pull over area. then follow it down till I found the fall. I did this and traveled down about 6 miles. to find a area where there looked to have been a lot atvs befor. I traveled into this area and to my surprise I found the water fall.

It was a pretty sight. I was left with a weird emotion. An emotion that the hunt was over, was it worth the hunt. Of coarse, it was the ride and the experances that meant more than the falls area. It was just another klr adventure

my blog
Old 06-02-2007, 01:50 PM   #5
Buz

Super Cool Since: Apr 2007
Locale: Florida
Postings: 682
Buz is on a distinguished road

Now that's what I call off roading! Great report and great photos to support it. I realized after reading your report and seeing where you were that I don't ride my KLR anywhere NEAR its limits here in South Florida. Well done!
Old 06-02-2007, 02:04 PM   #6
KelKen08

Super Cool Since: May 2007
Locale: Kelowna BC Canada
Postings: 250
KelKen08 is on a distinguished road

Great job...enjoyable read..I havent received my 08 yet but im not sure I wouldnt have the gonads to do what you do alone...Ive done it when I was younger though but I could feel the desperation you must have been feeling when the trail became hard to follow.
KelKen08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 04:17 PM   #7
johnwesley
KLR Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelKen08 View Post
Great job...enjoyable read..I havent received my 08 yet but im not sure I wouldnt have the gonads to do what you do alone...Ive done it when I was younger though but I could feel the desperation you must have been feeling when the trail became hard to follow.
thats the deal. when i start down a trail it is hard to turn around. I did do that once on this trail system . I'm still a young pup thou at 33. I ride alone quite a bit. I don't have anyone around here that rides dual sports. So I just go at it alone. It beats not riding and I enjoy the time to clear the ole noggin'.

Thanks for the complaments I had a hard time deciding how much detail I should put in the article. So I stuck to mainly pics. They speak better than I do any way.

my blog
Old 06-07-2007, 10:31 PM   #8
anythingon2wheels
A Regular

Locale: Coldarado
Postings: 184
anythingon2wheels is on a distinguished road
Default Re: in the klr zone

I always thought that such a heavy machine as the KLR would not be a fun ride in the terrain that you show in your photos. Maybe it just takes the proper riding skills...
anythingon2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:59 AM   #9
johnwesley
KLR Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by anythingon2wheels View Post
I always thought that such a heavy machine as the KLR would not be a fun ride in the terrain that you show in your photos. Maybe it just takes the proper riding skills...
That or maybe just not knowing any better. This is the first dual sport bike I have ever owned, the rest have been street bikes everything from gold wings to ninjas and all between. I just had gripsters for tires but just drove like a heavy bike, I used momentum. I have been off-roading/ rock crawling fow several years which teaches you to see lines on the trail that are do able.

Don't know probly just dumb luck. But I did have fun

my blog
Old 06-08-2007, 09:32 AM   #10
wanderer

Super Cool Since: Sep 2005
Locale: Evansville, Indiana
Postings: 527
wanderer is on a distinguished road

Absolutely awesome stuff!!! You have quite the dream area to play in. Would like to get my KDX200 in there for some exploring.

Quote:
I always thought that such a heavy machine as the KLR would not be a fun ride in the terrain that you show in your photos.
Fun is, no doubt, in the eye of the beholder. Something tells me "ride" isn't the proper word for what went on in that forest. I'm guessing crawling was the best description for the day. Am I right John? Nothing wrong with it either, that's what I prefer doing with the KLR while off-road. I like to take it easy and explore. I have my KDX for getting all rowdy on. The KLR has always been called the Jeep of motorcycles and that's how I treat it. Ease it up over things and through rough areas. Chug it along and enjoy the trip with the occasional blast of speed when doable. I won't last very long trying to muscle the KLR beast around in the rough stuff at anything more then a crawl.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:52 AM   #11
johnwesley
KLR Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
Fun is, no doubt, in the eye of the beholder. Something tells me "ride" isn't the proper word for what went on in that forest. I'm guessing crawling was the best description for the day. Am I right John? Nothing wrong with it either, that's what I prefer doing with the KLR while off-road. I like to take it easy and explore. I have my KDX for getting all rowdy on. The KLR has always been called the Jeep of motorcycles and that's how I treat it. Ease it up over things and through rough areas. Chug it along and enjoy the trip with the occasional blast of speed when doable. I won't last very long trying to muscle the KLR beast around in the rough stuff at anything more then a crawl.

Some of the stuff could not be "crawled" it had to be rammed through. With enough speed you can bounce through most stuff. The klr is really geared to high for the area I was in so I had to keep the rpms at 2500 + so that i didn't stall in the tight stuff. I did learn that on the tight 180 degree corners that going in slow then powering on kept the front end from washing on me. I learned a lot on this trip and it was all day on the pegs kind of ride.

I meet some locals that told me I'd be best walk in. I said "no thanks, I have a good ds" they laughed and said I would have to cary it out. That the aera was good for 4wd atv and to tight and diffuclt for the big bike. They were probly right but I had to take the challenge up. I learned a lot about the bike and my self. I would do it again no problem and wouldn't take the wrong trails. It is a fun little loop.

my blog
Old 06-08-2007, 12:26 PM   #12
out rider
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Oct 2006
Locale: In protective custody
Postings: 48
out rider is on a distinguished road

No doubt about it, you can ride.

And your camp side crusine is spot on.

Thanks for taking the time to post a great report and photos.
out rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:29 PM   #13
Hank.SD
Site Supporter

Locale: Sodak
Postings: 720
Hank.SD is on a distinguished road

Very nice. I bet that rock face was interesting!

06 950 S Gone... I'll miss her

https://www.dakotadualsportriders.com

If you're from the Dakotas or surrounding states, or are planning a trip to the area, please sign up!
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:53 PM   #14
johnwesley
KLR Enthusiast

yes it was. The funny thing is I was already on it when I realized that it went straight up. I seen it and was like "O crap" so I just gased it and leaned way over the front wheel to keep it down. Then I felt like "I did it and It didn't hurt." It was a very cool place.

my blog
Old 06-08-2007, 03:43 PM   #15
Scott_Rides_Again
Been here a while

Locale: 410m N, a smidgen W of Spoonbooty
Postings: 15,633
Scott_Rides_Again is a glorious beacon of lightScott_Rides_Again is a glorious beacon of lightScott_Rides_Again is a glorious beacon of lightScott_Rides_Again is a glorious beacon of lightScott_Rides_Again is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley View Post
Some of the stuff could not be "crawled" it had to be rammed through. With enough speed you can bounce through most stuff. The klr is really geared to high for the area I was in so I had to keep the rpms at 2500 + so that i didn't stall in the tight stuff. I did learn that on the tight 180 degree corners that going in slow then powering on kept the front end from washing on me. I learned a lot on this trip and it was all day on the pegs kind of ride.

I meet some locals that told me I'd be best walk in. I said "no thanks, I have a good ds" they laughed and said I would have to cary it out. That the aera was good for 4wd atv and to tight and diffuclt for the big bike. They were probly right but I had to take the challenge up. I learned a lot about the bike and my self. I would do it again no problem and wouldn't take the wrong trails. It is a fun little loop.
The bike is geared to high for trail use, IMHO. I went to the front 14T. MUCH better on slow crawls.

Also, I can get up the knarly stuff slowly, slip clutching. Maybe I will be replacing my clutch soon, but 5500 miles, a lot of clutch slipping and it still feels like it did when I got it with 1/4 mile on the odi.

Scott_Rides_Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:11 PM   #16
anythingon2wheels
A Regular

Locale: Coldarado
Postings: 184
anythingon2wheels is on a distinguished road

It sounds like brute force powering through gnarly stuff works, as long as you wisely steer the front wheel. All that weight should keep the wheels on the ground and improve traction.

With full suspension mountain bikes, keeping the wheels on the ground is why they work so well on technical sections.
anythingon2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:18 PM   #17
Scott_Rides_Again
Been here a while

Scott_Rides_Again is a glorious beacon of lightScott_Rides_Again is a glorious beacon of lightScott_Rides_Again is a glorious beacon of lightScott_Rides_Again is a glorious beacon of lightScott_Rides_Again is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
It sounds like brute force powering through gnarly stuff works, as long as you wisely steer the front wheel. All that weight should keep the wheels on the ground and improve traction.

With full suspension mountain bikes, keeping the wheels on the ground is why they work so well on technical sections.

I don't like to use brute force, not enough control and reaction time. Slip clutching works fine for me.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:57 PM   #18
johnwesley
KLR Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Rides_Again View Post
The bike is geared to high for trail use, IMHO. I went to the front 14T. MUCH better on slow crawls
I agree but on this trip just 2 days befor I was runing with some sport bikes @ 90 + mph. and there she was geared a little low. So for the combantion riding it is a good middle ground, aleast for me.

Quote:

It works that way for me. (but I don't know what I'm doing) It pays to look ahead and pick your lines. Keep your hands loose and let the bike track it knows its way around. Kind of like that song "hold on loosely, but don't let go"

The Big thing is when you get tired and flustered stop and drink some water and take pics for use to see. When you have calmed down and rested it normally makes the trail alot easier. YVMV

people ride how they are comfortable riding. Scott and I ride different so try both ways and do what works for you. most things are guidlines and you ajust them to fit the bike and the rider.

my blog
Old 06-08-2007, 05:28 PM   #19
Scott_Rides_Again
Been here a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley View Post
people ride how they are comfortable riding. Scott and I ride different so try both ways and do what works for you. most things are guidlines and you ajust them to fit the bike and the rider.
+1, Do what you are comfortable with. It was (still is) a learning experience for me. I'm not very good, and I wish I had bought a beat up old 300 dirt bike to learn the dirt. Instead I let the non-dirt worthy stock tires scare the crap out of my fer probably 1000 miles.

I agree that letting the bars float around some is a good thing. I beat myself silly trying to force them around. Plus, when they do take a wrist wrenching lurch, you wrists will likely be less injured.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:19 PM   #20
e_cycle
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2007
Locale: SW Missouri
Postings: 131
e_cycle is on a distinguished road

Very thought provoking trip report John! I used to live in Gassville . Didn't have a bike at the time though. Live In Branson now I hear some good trails exist in https://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/mark...wick/index.php I want to go look at.
e_cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
klr, zone